Starting over (again)

I want to play again and have so much real money and time invested in the character, but don't want to drag/explain my past all over again. Also don't really want to do combat stuff (just want to chat, rp, and experience the world created).

Is there a good way to just start over and play the game again, without trying to remember stuff I did years ago? Started on the character in 2004. 

Or should I just roll a new toon and scrap it all? Looking for your creative suggestions.

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Retirement is always an option. You recover a certain percentage of your credits/lessons/artefacts for use on a new character.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Retirement is always an option. You recover a certain percentage of your credits/lessons/artefacts for use on a new character.
    oh wow, that is awesome. I didn't know that was a thing.
  • edited April 2016
    No one's gonna ask you about your past, just make it up or give them the bare basics you remember if it comes up in conversation.

It's really not that hard to come out of inactivity, just log in and start playing and read help files/search the news/forums to catch up.
  • Except that joining an organization, they ask you everything about your past. 

• edited April 2016
    Korrok said:
    Except that joining an organization, they ask you everything about your past. 
    Unless you have like world's worst memory surely you remember at least "I joined X and Y cities and then I was rogue" or whatever. If you don't, just say you don't remember, it was a long time ago ICly too. That's all you really need.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited April 2016
    The only time people want super-exacting details of your history is if you are a long-term enemy to their city, with many listed crimes (and even then, depends which city), or you're particularly (in)famous enough to be remembered.

That said, do what seems interesting to you. I always find it a shame to waste a character's story just out of uncertainty, but I know a fresh start can be appealing!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • There are many ways to recover from not remembering your character's history from 2004. As long as it's not too outlandish, you can make a lot of different things plausible. Maybe your character's been roaming the high seas in search of a mythical monster for the past century and a half. Maybe your character's been the victim of a rather nasty injury that kept him/her sidelined for ages, unable to move, until a mysterious old man gave him a cure in exchange for a mountain of gold. Opportunities are endless, just pick an avenue and roll with it! (Always fun to leap and then look)
  • Thanks everyone. I will probably try to keep the same character then. Apostate is my favorite class.
  • Not even back a couple days, only talked with a few people and "Enemied to: Aurora, Mhaldor, Sartan, and Targossas"  and just got ganked out of the blue... and I just figured out how to use curing on serverside.

Honestly makes me just want to retire and go to another game or quit IRE entirely. It doesn't help with roleplay or immersion or anything, it's like hitting a toddler in the face.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    How? I've been defiling Babel for years and still not enemied. 

Why would someone randomly gank you?

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Drauka said:
    Not even back a couple days, only talked with a few people and "Enemied to: Aurora, Mhaldor, Sartan, and Targossas"  and just got ganked out of the blue... and I just figured out how to use curing on serverside.

Honestly makes me just want to retire and go to another game or quit IRE entirely. It doesn't help with roleplay or immersion or anything, it's like hitting a toddler in the face.
    Hint: Resorting instantly to OOC tells, without any attempt at in-character dialogue, doesn't really help with roleplay or immersion, either.

You weren't randomly ganked. You randomly quit Mhaldor as an established individual, and thus, you were enemied, and the blood price was sought.

• Taraus said:
    Drauka said:
    Not even back a couple days, only talked with a few people and "Enemied to: Aurora, Mhaldor, Sartan, and Targossas"  and just got ganked out of the blue... and I just figured out how to use curing on serverside.

Hint: Resorting instantly to OOC tells, without any attempt at in-character dialogue, doesn't really help with roleplay or immersion, either.

You weren't randomly ganked. You randomly quit Mhaldor as an established individual, and thus, you were enemied, and the blood price was sought.
    This worries me, returning after a long dormancy can be difficult, I started afresh to not deal with any of the difficulty of it, but surely OOC you could at least go "ok recently returned dormant character give him a moment to reget his bearings and then kill him." 

Really we don't need returning characters coming back and, in the state of learning all the changes, to get that initial bitter taste back and quit. 
  • Minifie said:
    Taraus said:
    Drauka said:

This worries me, returning after a long dormancy can be difficult, I started afresh to not deal with any of the difficulty of it, but surely OOC you could at least go "ok recently returned dormant character give him a moment to reget his bearings and then kill him." 

Really we don't need returning characters coming back and, in the state of learning all the changes, to get that initial bitter taste back and quit. 
    He had like 4 days to get readjusted since he originally lied about being a novice, lol.
  • Kiet said:
    Minifie said:
    Taraus said:
    Drauka said:

He had like 4 days to get readjusted since he originally lied about being a novice, lol.
    I've been back for like a month and I still am relearning stuff. 
    Minifie said:
    Kiet said:
    Minifie said:
    Taraus said:
    Drauka said:

I've been back for like a month and I still am relearning stuff. 
    Back for over a year(2?) and still relearning stuff...

In addition I think communication could save everyone a lot of grief. 

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    In all fairness, you've definitely been around long enough to know that if you quit Mhaldor, you die - whether that be via offering yourself for execution or waiting for someone to come after you and kill you. Going through the proper channels would probably have saved you some grief. No idea what the OOC tells were about so not going to comment on that.

Having said that, you probably aren't going to die again for the act of leaving, so you shouldn't have to worry about that any more. Now you can start over wherever you like.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    edited April 2016
    Minifie said:
    Taraus said:
    Drauka said:

You're absolutely right, returning -can- be a huge, sometimes overwhelming task. I've done it myself, after several longer-than-a-RL-year absences. But you also have to make something of an attempt yourself to both try to 1) relearn the game, and 2) re-establish your character.

Lying & misrepresenting situations, and making absolutely no attempt to actually roleplay are things that will make a player's attempt to return to a character more difficult than necessary. And more often than not, it's just as easy to say everything ICly as it is OOCly.

ETA: Essentially, if you want other people to try, you have to try, too.

• I'm retiring the character. I mean come on. Can make up reasons all you want, but this is BS. It is still a game and you know it. I didn't publicly do anything and kept in-line with my character's RP, and was totally polite and consistent  to everyone in-game. 

It must be a great time when someone leaves Mhaldor, then a gank squad can kill people "for RP reasons". 

Not fun. No thanks. 

I think it is ridiculous that I'm the one at fault when I didn't ICly do anything. This is too much BS for a dang game. Enjoy feeling right in your actions. Never coming back.
    That's both sad and slightly dramatic.

Take your one death and move on. @austere @Morthif @Jadys got maggoted and hunted by all of taegossas, but they were "major" players in the city...

Quit a city...expect to be killed for it. 

• Szanthax said:

Take your one death and move on. @austere @Morthif @Jadys got maggoted and hunted by all of taegossas, but they were "major" players in the city...

We all react differently to different situations, I've had my fair share of tantrums over what others would consider trivial. Coming back to a game after a long hiatus and getting railroaded would probably get me fired up
  • What squad mate you died one time 1on1 after purposefully lying about your history to Mhaldor.

You had it coming.
    Minifie D4 said:
    Szanthax said:

We all react differently to different situations, I've had my fair share of tantrums over what others would consider trivial. Coming back to a game after a long hiatus and getting railroaded would probably get me fired up
    I'll agree with this. I tantrum depending in how drunk I am. Normally I just throw myself into people and die 10 times before I get naked and pass out

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Szanthax said:

@Antidas and @Atalkez tried to gank me when stuff first went down.  They missed their shot after about 10 minutes of me trying to figure out how they were tracking me without veils(nerf friends), and that was pretty much the end of it.  I think I dueled Atalkez a few days into it, but I didn't really view it as retribution for quitting the city.  Agreed upon fight.  2 zap kills and a week and a half of missing 1200 cr worth of skills or so(nerf tdf).  No gank deaths. 
    Austere said:
    Szanthax said:

@Antidas and @Atalkez tried to gank me when stuff first went down.  They missed their shot after about 10 minutes of me trying to figure out how they were tracking me without veils(nerf friends), and that was pretty much the end of it.  I think I dueled Atalkez a few days into it, but I didn't really view it as retribution for quitting the city.  Agreed upon fight.  2 zap kills and a week and a half of missing 1200 cr worth of skills or so(nerf tdf).  No gank deaths. 
    And I feel like the truedf would have had me playing alts until it was over...

• Rofl. Everyone should go to the start of the thread and read through the whole thing again.
  • Mhaldor will pay the blood price again when eleusis gets bored, you know the price playing with mhaldor.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited April 2016
    Minifie said:
    Mhaldor will pay the blood price again when eleusis gets bored, you know the price playing with mhaldor.
    Quoting on mobile:
    This is almost alway true if you change Mhaldor and Eleusis with other strongly aligned factions,  depending on numbers. 

Tahquil said:
    Rofl. Everyone should go to the start of the thread and read through the whole thing again.

To be fair,  @Kiet 's advice would only work if no one remembers you. Apparently, someone did. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1