How to find a mentor?

I just started Achaea for the very first time this morning and already I'm feeling the sense of "What the hell am I doing?" So far I've gotten to level 10 from some basic quests from the pixies and kobolds, and am on my way back to confront the pygmie chief.

Beyond my basic skill of summoning the holy axe (im a priest), putting things in my backpack, and giving them to NPC's, I'm pretty clueless. I'm not even really sure how to talk to people yet. I see some people talking in what I'm guessing is the chat of my "city"? I wasn't given a choice of which city I'd like to belong to, just assigned one based off of what I'm guessing was my race/class choice.

So, how do you pick up a mentor? I'd really like to give this game a shot as I've never, ever played a MUD before, love RP, and am tired of how graphical MMO's have developed over the last years. I simply can't see myself getting far without some guidance as this is all pretty new to me and the game seems super deep. Like, I don't even know how to learn new skills. :)

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    You'll have to find someone in your city to mentor you! Asking around is your best bet.

As a priest, the only city that will take you is Targossas, so it automatically put you there. You can use CT <message> to speak to them.

As far as help goes, you can try typing HELP WHAT NOW, or HELP BASIC COMMANDS, or HELP <anything> in game to find more information! Or, if you have questions, you can talk on NEWBIE and people will be able to help you. Feel free to ask questions!

As far as being clueless as to what you can do, your TASKS do quite a bit to teach you how things work in Achaea, and some of what all you can do. I'd recommend sticking to them while you have them, as they give a good foundation for your time in Achaea.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I created Xaden 9 years ago and I still sometimes get that sense of 'What the hell am i doin'. I've been lagging pretty hard today so I've been struggling to keep up with what's been going on. If someone hasn't grabbed ya and started guidin' ya about I'll track you down as soon as I can.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Best advice is really to find someone in your city, (or really House if they have that option and if you join a city where being a member of a House is actually mandatory). It's also nice to take time to talk to those with knowledge of your class and can better assist you with learning and inquiries, and definitely someone that is around the same times as you are, particularly if this is the first time that you are actually playing Achaea. If you get a mentor in a different timezone as you, it may be more difficult. You will find though that there are a lot of people that are around that may assist you if you ask them.  Also look for those with similar interests: theology, hunting, combat etc. Have fun with it best of luck and welcome. 

• Speaking as a certified alt-aholic who has played off and on for just over ten years I'll throw in my two cents.

It's pretty easy to find someone who will be your mentor. However, it is a complete toss up whether that person will be much help to you. I tend to have the best luck with mentors that are not in high ranking positions in house or city. Old timers tend to be entrenched within long time social circles and bogged down with in-game "work" so it can be hard to get much of their time. Younger characters that have recently worked their way into being able to house mentor are more often still full of zeal. This is important when fielding all the questions that a true newbie will have.

Bear in mind that if you put enough time investment in a character to be noticed by your faction then most everyone will be very helpful to you.

Achaea definitely has depth. PVP here is very involved and rewarding if you have the time and energy (and dollars) to devote to it. Achaea doesn't have much to offer with its PVE in my opinion, but Im sure some would disagree. Rp wise players truly are the content and lots of amazing people make this world come alive everyday.