Client to use

Hi there!

I'm wondering which is the best client for the majority of people to be using, I understand that Nexus is apparently good for newbies so they can get an idea of how triggers etc work. I'm already using Nexus

Basically I would like to get started and learn how to use the most preferred client with the best scripting facilities.

I'm much better at open scripting if that makes sense? :-)

Comments

• I think the most used client is Mudlet, for a somewhat quick answer. I think others might have numbers on that, but I'm judging by people I've spoken to.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Here's a list of clients I've heard people use:

CMud (Windows) - Uses it's own script language. Shareware.
    Mudlet (Linux, Mac, Windows) - Uses Lua for scripting. (By far the most popular)
    MUSHclient (Windows) - Uses JavaScript, Lua, Perl, PHP, Python, or Visual Basic for scripting.
    tintin++ (Linux) - Uses it's own script language, but can run language interpreters (lua, perl, python, etc) via the #run command.

The Nexus client uses JavaScript for scripting and can use jQuery functions.
  • edited April 2016
    Nexus can do essentially anything that Mudlet can do - it really isn't just for newbies. That used to be true with prior versions from a few years ago, but the current version is just an HTML page scripted in JavaScript and you just script it in JavaScript exactly like you script Mudlet in Lua.

Pretty much any script you can write in Mudlet, you can write in Nexus.

Just use the drop-down box for the trigger/alias action to set it to "Execute script". And if you want scripts to run at startup, make one of the weird Nexus "Functions" just like you would an alias/trigger and name it onLoad and it'll run when the client starts, just like code you put into a Mudlet "Script".

I don't know for sure, but I would probably bet that the majority of players are on Nexus. The majority of older players and players on the forum are on Mudlet since they started using it long before the newer Nexus client was a thing. There are more existing scripts for it too, though it's also worth pointing out that serverside defences and curing and integrated mapping and WALKTO have made a lot of those scripts a lot less necessary.
    Jacero said:
    The Nexus client uses JavaScript for scripting and can use jQuery functions.
    You can use any JavaScript libraries just like you normally would too. The client already has jQuery in it by default, but I'm using Immutable.js with Nexus for a few things right now for instance.
  • You can use any JavaScript libraries just like you normally would too. The client already has jQuery in it by default, but I'm using Immutable.js with Nexus for a few things right now for instance.

Neat. I wasn't aware you could do that.

• edited April 2016
    Jacero said:
    You can use any JavaScript libraries just like you normally would too. The client already has jQuery in it by default, but I'm using Immutable.js with Nexus for a few things right now for instance.

Neat. I wasn't aware you could do that.

The Nexus client is just a webpage. Nexus doesn't actually run your scripts, your browser does. Your scripts aren't being run through any special Nexus interpreter, they're just being run by the browser exactly like any other JavaScript (including the JavaScript that implements all the functionality of the Nexus client itself). Nexus is fundamentally just a bunch of HTML elements being manipulated by JavaScript and your scripts are just basically tacking on some more JavaScript. You're not really using an embedded language, you're just directly extending the client's code.

Heck, if you wanted to there's no real reason you couldn't actually just use something like Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey to store and run your Achaea scripts - underlyingly you would be doing pretty much the same thing.

To use a JavaScript library, you just run the code of the library. The same is true in the Nexus client. You could inject the library into the browser with Tampermonkey or you can just store it as a package (the first Nexus package that runs in my profile is just Immutable.js for instance).
  • Mudlet, for sure.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Thanks folks, really appreciate it =)