State of the Wiki

Hello,

I would like to ask about the wiki. Compared to the Aetolia one, some pages seem... well, non-existent even?
Compare:
http://wiki.achaea.com/Troll
http://wiki.aetolia.com/Troll

I was Neev who tried to at least design and give some format to the race pages, but I'm not sure how much of Aetolian history is accurate about them, so I don't know if I can copy some parts or need to find all info from help files (which is ok). What made me stop editing their wiki is that so many times I asked about details or history or specific mechanics of gameplay stuff, Aetolians usually told me it's "up to us to decide" seemingly not having that much of detailed history or game lore.

Anyne else working on the wiki or could I try to reformat these pages? First impression is damn important.

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited April 2016
    If everything on the Aetolia page is canon, then races in Achaea are comparatively a lot less developed -- in history, in player culture... even in generally accepted appearance/physical traits.
    Bohren said:
    about details or history or specific mechanics of gameplay stuff, Aetolians usually told me it's "up to us to decide" seemingly not having that much of detailed history or game lore.
    The wiki is definitely for only objective/verifiable information, not lore imagined on player whims.

Anyone (with 300+ hrs of playtime) can edit, but putting the Troll info from Aetolia into the Achaea wiki verbatim would be no good -- basically almost none of the Aetolia troll information is true in Achaea.
  • Krypton said:
    If everything on the Aetolia page is canon, then races in Achaea are comparatively a lot less developed 
    I don't know for sure how canon is it, I didn't add anything to the pages just edited the format. It was a giant wall of text, really hard on the eye so I structured it. But if I need 300+ game hours then I need to wait anyway.
  • Damn that troll looks awesome.

How -you- doin?

Well, Aetolian wiki wasn't always that way. Was pure utter shit once. But I guess someone in their community fixed it up.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Updated.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Wait I can contribute to the wiki? How long ago did they nuke the whole Chronicler thing or whatever it was? Must've been before I came back on Ahmet, cos I certainly didn't realize that.

Maybe I'll actually be productive for once.

Maybe.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Ahmet said:
    Wait I can contribute to the wiki? How long ago did they nuke the whole Chronicler thing or whatever it was? Must've been before I came back on Ahmet, cos I certainly didn't realize that.

Maybe I'll actually be productive for once.

Maybe.
    About three years ago iirc. They did away with the Chronicler Order and everyone that was in it at the time got a special staff. 

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Anyone with a (non-newbie) character can log into the wiki and update it. It's super easy. I've been contributing since 2013. There are style rules and templates you can use but it's easy to copy from other pages until you get the hang of it.

Krypton and Delphinus and Madelyne and a bunch of the old Chroniclers used to be pretty hardcore about it.  You can check the Recent Changes page to see who has been making contributions to it lately.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • edited April 2016
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Whoa, @Halos thank you for starting editing them! I would help as well, but can't seem to log in with my character name of Bohren. That infobox seems neat as well, let's hope I canlog in some time and start to help you guys out as well by including help file texts and formatting (as I don't know much about the world as of yet).
  • @Bohren under sc 2 in game, you'll have a section that looks like this about 2/3 of the way down.

| Total Time Played: 115 days, 0 hours and 34 minutes  

^When that hits 300 hours (12 days, 12 hours), you can mentor in game, and edit the wiki.

• Valkyn said:
    @Bohren under sc 2 in game, you'll have a section that looks like this about 2/3 of the way down.

| Total Time Played: 115 days, 0 hours and 34 minutes  

^When that hits 300 hours (12 days, 12 hours), you can mentor in game, and edit the wiki.

When you have played over 1 year of total time in Achaea, you should get upgraded to Super Mentor status. It gives you yellow spiky hair and sparks of energy generated around you as long as you crotch and scream.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • I think I'm there over two characters. :P

• http://wiki.achaea.com/File:Troll_FINAL.jpg

Still hasn't changed. :/

Are we seriously gonna use art from another IRE mud?
  • edited April 2016
    Lucianus said:
    http://wiki.achaea.com/File:Troll_FINAL.jpg

There you go, changed it to the Achaean troll image for you. Troll page is here: http://wiki.achaea.com/Troll
  • Kyriella said:
    Lucianus said:
    http://wiki.achaea.com/File:Troll_FINAL.jpg

There you go, changed it to the Achaean troll image for you. Troll page is here: http://wiki.achaea.com/Troll

I was expecting that to link to a rickroll... "Troll page is here: rickroll"
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Off-topic but I have always disliked that picture specifically. The rest of the artwork I've generally liked, but that one (and to a lesser extent the dwarf priest one) seem more like the Warcraft versions than the Achaea versions
  • I know the image shows up if you google image search "achaea troll".

But if you visit the source page: http://www.ironrealms.com/image/troll-warrior

It reads: This is a Troll from the text adventure RPG, Midkemia Online. This image was created by Chris Bourassa.

It's not cool to take image from another source without the artist's permission if it was commissioned for another IRE. That creates conflict with the producers if they ever find out. Plus it's MKO's representation of what they envision for a Troll as described to the artist who drew it. Not Achaea's.

And yeah... sure... people use random images from Tumblr, Pinterest, or Google Images for personal use all the time. But seriously check the source if it's going to be used to present something for the community's wiki page. Think about the message you're portraying about Achaea to potential players/customers if they see art commonly found on other websites being used to represent stuff in the game.

• edited April 2016
    The image of the troll now on the troll page was made for Achaea. 

Youll see the trollfinal picture isn't linked in the wiki anywhere.
  • Tahquil said:

Yeah, @Kyriella already changed it. Just thought it was something worth mentioning.

Preferably, I'd rather use player art from Achaean Artisanal contests. Since it gives it a more community feel. But that's just a matter of personal preference. If there is official art, might as well use it.
  • Lucianus said:
    Tahquil said:

Yeah, @Kyriella already changed it. Just thought it was something worth mentioning.

Preferably, I'd rather use player art from Achaean Artisanal contests. Since it gives it a more community feel. But that's just a matter of personal preference. If there is official art, might as well use it.
    That's what I did when making the newbie pages for Aetolia. When you submit art, you agree that it can be used for promo purposes, and pictures are pretty and help new players visualize stuff much easier. I went with official art for headers and mined artisanals for further examples.

Example use of racial art in newbie section: http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/788/newbie-guide-races-and-statpacks
  • edited April 2016
    @Qwyn I'm astounded that you managed to fit that level of formatting into a forum post. Sick hashtag jumps bro
  • Thanks! Heh this was when vanilla forums were being derpy, too, and didn't expand the edit box. Fun times. Just don't look at the source code. Vanilla is only partially html....friendly...ish.

It can be a really fun project for someone to prettify the wiki. I had a lot of fun seeing how people visualized the races. There are so many different views.