Warp Trolls

Comments

• Tahquil said:
    What do people prefer? Exterm Wars or Warp Wars?
    Warp wars.

Everybody gets to suffer this way.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    As someone who is neither serpent nor has a vibrating stick, I have to say I really, really prefer warp wars and endorse them with all my heart.  :p

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• We not have some Divine created wormholes between popular places that can't be cancelled so serpents and those with sticks still get the advantage of using them, but it means splicing/destroying can still be a thing on its own in cities etc.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Antonius said:
    How about we just move away from actions that require you to sit doing very little for long periods of time? (Rather than some of the more ridiculous suggestions like having splicing take 45-60 minutes...)

Have splicing a wormhole between two "neutral" rooms - neutral meaning any room that's outside of one of the six major cities OR inside a city that you're a citizen of (or allied to?) - take a minute or two at most, rather than whatever the current time is. Splicing between two rooms, at least one of which isn't neutral, would take whatever the current time is to prevent easily splicing wormholes into enemy territory.

Cancelling a wormhole would take the current rate (whatever that is), unless one end is inside a city that you're a citizen of, in which case it would only take the same amount of time as splicing a wormhole between two neutral rooms (to make it easier to deal with any wormholes that DO get spliced into enemy territory).

If cancelling a single wormhole takes 15 minutes (not sure if that's correct, pulling the number out of thin air), but you could replace an entire 15 room/wormhole warp hub in that amount of time, it would be a lot less of an issue. A tiny bit annoying for the people who find out they've been cancelled while they're still down, but not a big task to replace.
    The only thing I would add is having cancel be a serpent only skill. But that's personal opinion and this i a fantastic suggestion that doesn't ask for a full overhaul
  • Antonius said:
    If cancelling a single wormhole takes 15 minutes (not sure if that's correct, pulling the number out of thin air)
    Worm cancel (the subterfuge ability) takes 15 minutes, same as splicing. Worm attack (the survival ability) takes 30.
  • As a serpent, there are exactly two wormholes that I use because they lead to places I can't walk. Don't touch those but go ahead and cancel the rest k thx
  • Dairon said:
    Anaria said:
    I really don't know what the right solution is, but given the amount of wormhole hub vandalism that has happened tonight I can say with certainty that this thread has inspired some asshat to go on a consequence free cancellation spree. I hope at least some positive change comes from it.
    Where was this done?
    It appears as if most or all of the Tasur'ke hub network which connected all of the mainland ports has been dropped.
  • Was gonna say the same thing. Him being docked there almost certainly is part if not all the reason for that.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• He's been ignoring my mutual ignore and harassing/stealing from me for awhile now.  Hell he randomly came up to me and a friend when we were out hunting and blocked the exit (from a really dangerous mob room).  He basically murders novices, steals from literally everyone, harasses people, abuses game mechanics... and actually gloats about doing all of the above.. yet nothing's really being done.

I'd really enjoy the game more and have more fun than going "Should I go hunting today?  Don't know if Dajio is going to pop up behind me and backstab me... or if he's going to block off the exit and kill me that way..."
  • edited April 2016
    Frederich said:
    He's been ignoring my mutual ignore and harassing/stealing from me for awhile now.  Hell he randomly came up to me and a friend when we were out hunting and blocked the exit (from a really dangerous mob room).  He basically murders novices, steals from literally everyone, harasses people, abuses game mechanics... and actually gloats about doing all of the above.. yet nothing's really being done.

I'd really enjoy the game more and have more fun than going "Should I go hunting today?  Don't know if Dajio is going to pop up behind me and backstab me... or if he's going to block off the exit and kill me that way..."
    Basically everyone who comes across, regardless of the merit, needs to issue him. Dajio isn't the only character that he's been absolute cu*t as. And it surely won't be the last. But as long as he gets away with it, he'll keep doing it.

Exit blocking, for me, is an offensive move. Following, uninvite, is an offensive move. Hell, with the way he's acted towards you (from in-game conversations), as far as I'm concerned, emoting in your vicinity is an offensive move. 

Bottom line, fuck 'em. Perma-shrub the c*nt

.. edited to remove a line that was potentially offensive to other people. 

• Xaden said:
    Frederich said:
    He's been ignoring my mutual ignore and harassing/stealing from me for awhile now.  Hell he randomly came up to me and a friend when we were out hunting and blocked the exit (from a really dangerous mob room).  He basically murders novices, steals from literally everyone, harasses people, abuses game mechanics... and actually gloats about doing all of the above.. yet nothing's really being done.

Basically everyone who comes across, regardless of the merit, needs to issue him. Dajio isn't the only character that he's been absolute cu*t as. And it surely won't be the last. But as long as he gets away with it, he'll keep doing it.

Exit blocking, for me, is an offensive move. Following, uninvite, is an offensive move. Hell, with the way he's acted towards you (from in-game conversations), as far as I'm concerned, emoting in your vicinity is an offensive move. 

yeah, keeps exit blocking me too. When I was trying to be real cool about it by asking if he wanted to duel it out. He said, "Na, Mhaldorians after me." So I told Mhaldorians hunting him to stand by and let me duel him. They even oblidged. I told him, "Kay, Mhaldorians not hunting you anymore. Let's get it on." No reply. I'm not even a great fighter. I'm a shitty newb combatant. Apparently all he's interested in is antagonizing other players.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Xaden said:
    Frederich said:

But she's really fun to chase around and randomly backstab

• edited April 2016
    Szanthax said:
    Xaden said:
    Frederich said:

But she's really fun to chase around and randomly backstab
    I love you Szanthax, you are the MOST fun

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    edited April 2016
    Most parties, easiest to kill lol. At least I have a good time lol

Arties..not parties

• Aerek said:
    Not that I condone anything being done, and I agree that there should be certain lines in the sand that are unfortunately getting crossed, but I'm also of the opinion that the game does need villains. Dajio provides a nemesis that brings people together, and for a lot of newer players I deal with, has been providing an introduction to organic, free-form PK in Achaea. As a result, contracts are getting fed to Marks, my boys and girls are finding motivation to learn about combat and are losing their fear of it, people are organizing hunting parties to watch each others' backs, and even forming gank teams to take him down.

Say what you will about the man, I'm not convinced his effect on the game is a net negative. Any time he's active, I see a heightened sense of community and activity that tends to wane when there isn't some reviled miscreant running around breaking rules and stirring up trouble.
    His impact on the game might be non-negative, but you could say the same thing about the Spanish Influenza leading to the end of World War 1. A terrible war ended sooner than it could have and the world of medicine might of gotten some very good lessons about diseases and epidemics, but millions of people still died. Personally I'd rather not deal with him.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Different sort of villain. Wulfen, Flair, Rho, etc are archetypal, roleplayed villains. We absolutely need those to drive the storyline, but they're not the only kind of villain. Dajio's a practical villain, just like Jahan, Manu, Glint, Timux, Santar, and Bonko before him. Their villainy is rooted in mechanics, not roleplay. They don't tell stories, but they keep our Marks and fighters busy, keep a sense of apprehension and excitement in the air. (Even if people are griping about it) To a lesser extent, you played this role, yourself, Kiet, when you were active back around 2008. The game benefits, in some respects, by having these loose cannons that people love to hate, for the reasons I listed.

"Griefing" is an apt term, (Though I don't really consider Dajio effective enough to be "true" griefing; not on par with Ovid or Bonko) and I'm not defending the actions of these people, but when a griefer's actions can be regulated by the community, and the community actually bands together to do so, it encourages participation, forges new friendships and camaraderie, and makes the world feel alive instead of the same stale atmosphere.

You'll note that I avoid the phrase "good for the game", because I wouldn't say that about Dajio. I said it's not a net negative. Dajio does a lot of shady, sometimes outright unacceptable stuff, but I see silver linings in how the game comes together to handle him, and I think the lasting good is currently outweighing the actual damage that Dajio, himself, is capable of inflicting. (Admittedly, this effect is likely more pronounced in a city like Cyrene than in Mhaldor. When Cyrenians are forming a gank squad, it's worth pointing out)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • PainePaine Prime Material
    edited April 2016
    Can we please stick to the topic of Worm Warp Wars (TM)? Never heard of Dajio and yes, warp trolls are kind of griefers, but we probably do not need to wax philosophically about achaea's greatest villains vs griefers in a thread about how to deal with the mechanics of warp cancelling.

In theory, the simplest solution for me is to have the identity of the person who cancelled a warp known somehow. That way, they can be dealt with physically, diplomatically, psychologically, whatever-ally. Mechanically, this solution seems pretty complicated but I am not a coder. There are some pretty out there suggestions floated, many by people who do not know the first thing about worm holes or splicing them through interdimensional realities but I guess that's why we have these forums.

Total tangent but when Achaea first introduced gleam it made some headlines in the media. There was a Wired magazine article about it that also mentioned other games:

In A Tale in the Desert, players discovered that by dosing their characters with a potion called Speed of the Serpent, they could gain extra waypoints, a valuable attribute allowing for instant travel across the game's wide three-dimensional globe.

Speed of the Serpent was poisonous, though, and required the ingestion of an antidote within 30 days, or the character would die. If a player took the potion a second time, the antidote was needed within 29 days; a third use meant 28 days and so on.

Eventually, as players succumbed to their desire for the extra waypoints, the interval between potion and antidote was short enough that even the hard-core couldn't keep up. According to Andy Tepper, the game's lead designer, 18 players' characters have died from addiction to Speed of the Serpent, more than from any other cause in the game's history. Unlike in many multiplayer online games, where death means little, in A Tale in the Desert, a character's death is final. It means starting over from the beginning, no small price for dabbling in a little performance-enhancing potion.

We should implement that! You can use warps but then you need an antidote more and more. Eventually, you die. Forever.

• Damn it @Paine - this conversation had just gotten interesting.

• Or you could just announce the cancel attempt to every serpent awake at the moment of the attempt. Actually make the whole endeavor worthy of being turned into a point of conflict with people needing to defend the canceling serpent while whoever wants to save it scrambles to respond. Would make canceling public hubs be a more calculated response and attempt at denial of resources rather than an easy way to grief and run. People will complain of course since it'd be just like shrine wars lite but it's still a possible a solution. :P
  • Aerek said:
    Different sort of villain. Wulfen, Flair, Rho, etc are archetypal, roleplayed villains. We absolutely need those to drive the storyline, but they're not the only kind of villain. Dajio's a practical villain, just like Jahan, Manu, Glint, Timux, Santar, and Bonko before him. Their villainy is rooted in mechanics, not roleplay. They don't tell stories, but they keep our Marks and fighters busy, keep a sense of apprehension and excitement in the air. (Even if people are griping about it) To a lesser extent, you played this role, yourself, Kiet, when you were active back around 2008. The game benefits, in some respects, by having these loose cannons that people love to hate, for the reasons I listed.

"Griefing" is an apt term, (Though I don't really consider Dajio effective enough to be "true" griefing; not on par with Ovid or Bonko) and I'm not defending the actions of these people, but when a griefer's actions can be regulated by the community, and the community actually bands together to do so, it encourages participation, forges new friendships and camaraderie, and makes the world feel alive instead of the same stale atmosphere.

You'll note that I avoid the phrase "good for the game", because I wouldn't say that about Dajio. I said it's not a net negative. Dajio does a lot of shady, sometimes outright unacceptable stuff, but I see silver linings in how the game comes together to handle him, and I think the lasting good is currently outweighing the actual damage that Dajio, himself, is capable of inflicting. (Admittedly, this effect is likely more pronounced in a city like Cyrene than in Mhaldor. When Cyrenians are forming a gank squad, it's worth pointing out)
    With all of the above said I have ranted and raved about how amazing the Credibility system is on Achaea whilst away for many years trying to play what are, comparatively, HIGH roleplay games (which don't have anything nearing the concept). If I log on right now and honours Dajio to see that his credibility is not very low, then nothing really is happening in regard to the nigh constant Insanity. Which is against the rules, apparently!
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Ilessia said:
    Aerek said:

With all of the above said I have ranted and raved about how amazing the Credibility system is on Achaea whilst away for many years trying to play what are, comparatively, HIGH roleplay games (which don't have anything nearing the concept). If I log on right now and honours Dajio to see that his credibility is not very low, then nothing really is happening in regard to the nigh constant Insanity. Which is against the rules, apparently!
    Yeah I've never seen someone's credibility drop, tbh. Then again, I've never seen a Dajio before... well... Dajio.
    Huh. Neat.
  • You're more likely to get hit with a credibility drop if you're OOC in a way that's actually going to get noticed by the Gods, like shouting a load of nonsense or saying it on the Market channel. Just being a general idiot in says or tells isn't likely to come to their attention unless people actively report it.
  • .Ahmet said:
    Ilessia said:
    Aerek said:

Yeah I've never seen someone's credibility drop, tbh. Then again, I've never seen a Dajio before... well... Dajio.

He went on a 10 minute OOC shouting rant about how he was going to grief every Targ newbie. Dude has zero filter between ic/ooc. Surprised his credibility hasn't dropped very much at all. XD
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Aerek said:
    Not that I condone anything being done, and I agree that there should be certain lines in the sand that are unfortunately getting crossed, but I'm also of the opinion that the game does need villains. Dajio provides a nemesis that brings people together, and for a lot of newer players I deal with, has been providing an introduction to organic, free-form PK in Achaea. As a result, contracts are getting fed to Marks, my boys and girls are finding motivation to learn about combat and are losing their fear of it, people are organizing hunting parties to watch each others' backs, and even forming gank teams to take him down.

Say what you will about the man, I'm not convinced his effect on the game is a net negative. Any time he's active, I see a heightened sense of community and activity that tends to wane when there isn't some reviled miscreant running around breaking rules and stirring up trouble.
    So in other words... Trump IS making America great again?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Kinda sounds like Dajio is getting what he wants. I mean it'll suck for him to have those warps gone, but he always gets shrubbed eventually. Lots of work and warps that others used now gone. Meaning it doesn't just inconvenience him, but anyone else who was using them, and anyone who feels inclined to replace them, if at all later on down the road.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.