Ask Your Producer: Spring 2016

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    edited April 2016
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    set tabstop=3
    What kind of monster are you.
    Expanded! So three space indent - which is the IRE coding style.
  • edited April 2016
    Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    set tabstop=3
    Expanded! So three space indent. 
    What sort of villain uses three spaces though?

Most newer programmers I see use four, either from learning Java or Python, unix people use those ridiculous 8-column actual tabs, lazy JavaScript programmers seem to favour two, but I have never, ever seen someone use three.

Edit: The IRE coding style! So Sarapis is to blame for this!
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    set tabstop=3

Most newer programmers I see use four, either from learning Java or Python, unix people use those ridiculous 8-column actual tabs, lazy JavaScript programmers seem to favour two, but I have never, ever seen someone use three.

Three is actually pretty elegant once you get used to it.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    What's your favorite type of food (italian, thai, etc) and what is your most favorite meal?

I have a preference for tex-mex and enchiladas, but thai is so good.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• What's your favorite thing to do in Achaea, something like hosting massive-scale events, smaller-scale games, bi-centennial events, adding new content, etc?

Is there a way to view current weather (like sunny/snowy) in-room in gmcp, or are there any plans to add that?

How do you deal with burnout, for yourself and for the volunteers that give up so much free time to work on the game for others?

Can you put the person behind Amarisse on the payroll? S/he's awesome and we're lucky to have her.

i'm a rebel

• Mmm, not to try and hint at any conspiracy, but frankly from observation, I just have to ask this.

The 500-credit win-and-spin promotion that appears on the wheel, is it coded to be completely random as to each of the 50 spins, or is it a code where certain numbers are selected? So far I have seen near every 50 spins be a high number, if not at times being exactly 50. What's the mechanics on this exactly?
  • Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    set tabstop=3

Three is actually pretty elegant once you get used to it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
  • Hey actually, that reminds me of some things I wanted to ask a long time ago, because I've seen a few instances in Achaea where RNG is really, really weird and not distributed in a way I would expect at all (ie, blue scales.  Seriously, what is that even about?).  It's a subject I've always been really interested in from a game development perspective, because human perception of RNG and mathematically valid RNG are such completely separate things.  Learning how different teams tackle the problem is interesting.

@Tecton, what method do you use to produce random numbers in most cases?  Do you just grab a random number from a generator (like Mersenne or whatever your lib's builtin is), or do you prepare a list to ensure a certain spread over a given number of choices and then pull from that? 

When you have a tier of choices to pick from, do you grab a number per choice, or do you grab one number and compare to a weighted table of choices? 

Do you separate RNG per person/object/feature, or globally manage it?
    Tesha said:
    What's your favorite thing to do in Achaea, something like hosting massive-scale events, smaller-scale games, bi-centennial events, adding new content, etc?

Is there a way to view current weather (like sunny/snowy) in-room in gmcp, or are there any plans to add that?

How do you deal with burnout, for yourself and for the volunteers that give up so much free time to work on the game for others?

Can you put the person behind Amarisse on the payroll? S/he's awesome and we're lucky to have her.
    1) Beyond new content/system releases, I love doing small-scale RP! I love being able to do that personal interaction that is very hard to do with large-scale events (which are awesome in their own right).

2) Not something that's currently offered via GMCP. May get added in the future, but no promises!

3) I try to shuffle things up, projects tend to take a long time, so I devote time every week to doing various miniprojects to shake things up. The team does this as well, we've started running fun little unscripted team events (like the motley crew event recently), where everyone jumps in on a random unscripted event and just has fun with it.

4) We certainly are!

Kayeil said:
    What's your favorite type of food (italian, thai, etc) and what is your most favorite meal?

Hmm, that's certainly a tough one! Would be a toss-up between thai food or indian. Owing to the fact I haven't been home in 4 years, I'm really craving a good ol' aussie meat pie at the moment!
    edited April 2016

Asmodron said:
    Mmm, not to try and hint at any conspiracy, but frankly from observation, I just have to ask this.

The 500-credit win-and-spin promotion that appears on the wheel, is it coded to be completely random as to each of the 50 spins, or is it a code where certain numbers are selected? So far I have seen near every 50 spins be a high number, if not at times being exactly 50. What's the mechanics on this exactly?
    It was exactly 50 until yesterday, yes.

Penwize said:
    Hey actually, that reminds me of some things I wanted to ask a long time ago, because I've seen a few instances in Achaea where RNG is really, really weird and not distributed in a way I would expect at all (ie, blue scales.  Seriously, what is that even about?).  It's a subject I've always been really interested in from a game development perspective, because human perception of RNG and mathematically valid RNG are such completely separate things.  Learning how different teams tackle the problem is interesting.

@Tecton, what method do you use to produce random numbers in most cases?  Do you just grab a random number from a generator (like Mersenne or whatever your lib's builtin is), or do you prepare a list to ensure a certain spread over a given number of choices and then pull from that? 

When you have a tier of choices to pick from, do you grab a number per choice, or do you grab one number and compare to a weighted table of choices? 

Do you separate RNG per person/object/feature, or globally manage it?
    For most things, it's pulled from the engine's prng. We have a few other methods we use on various other features where we want a better spread, but they're few and far between.
  • Why are blue scales and gold teeth so rare in comparison?

Are there any chances of reducing the number needed of those to complete their sets from the 64 requirement, if the current rarity is intended?

Any chance of expanding what Elder dragons unlock when completing their set? The movement messages was a good one, but possibly descriptions - or is this too difficult to maintain? (I can't see how it would be any different than normal descriptions for people, but I could be wrong based on the code)

Do you think the Mark system is working well? Do you have any ideas for changes in the near future on the table?

How long until the next world-RP-fight thing you mentioned before? Need to know how long I have to train the team!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Tecton said:

For most things, it's pulled from the engine's prng. We have a few other methods we use on various other features where we want a better spread, but they're few and far between.
    Do you happen to know what sort of prng your engine uses?  That is, which algorithm it uses and what sort of variance and uniformity it aims to produce?
    Atalkez said:
    Why are blue scales and gold teeth so rare in comparison?

Are there any chances of reducing the number needed of those to complete their sets from the 64 requirement, if the current rarity is intended?

Any chance of expanding what Elder dragons unlock when completing their set? The movement messages was a good one, but possibly descriptions - or is this too difficult to maintain? (I can't see how it would be any different than normal descriptions for people, but I could be wrong based on the code)

Do you think the Mark system is working well? Do you have any ideas for changes in the near future on the table?

How long until the next world-RP-fight thing you mentioned before? Need to know how long I have to train the team!
    1-2) Not sure, everything looks right in the code from a brief parse, but I can see on the overall audit of all pieces that there's only about 60% of the number of those pieces as others with the same weighting. Something that probably needs to be looked into!

3) No plans to!

4) In terms of getting contracts completed, yeah. We're seeing higher completion rates now than we were under the previous system. It's obviously not everything to everyone, as there's still a desire for people to just be mark to be open PK, but as for the core of the system, I think it's doing it's job.

5) You'll find out the same time as everyone else.
  • Don't want to share? :P  That's the interesting part!
  • Tecton said:
    1-2) Not sure, everything looks right in the code from a brief parse, but I can see on the overall audit of all pieces that there's only about 60% of the number of those pieces as others with the same weighting. Something that probably needs to be looked into!
    Man, if you could fix this I swear I will never bother you again.

for like a week

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Cooper said:
    "I don't know, CAN you go to the bathroom?" - every (American) teacher ever
    Have used this. Oh the eyerolls...
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Tecton said:

Kayeil said:

Hmm, that's certainly a tough one! Would be a toss-up between thai food or indian. Owing to the fact I haven't been home in 4 years, I'm really craving a good ol' aussie meat pie at the moment!
    ... made from the meat of real aussies?

• edited April 2016
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    Tael said:
    Tecton said:
    set tabstop=3

The idea of using a non-prime number of spaces as the default offends my sense of mathematical aesthetics. It's particularly glaring once you graduate to coding in 4 dimensions.
  • edited April 2016
    Tecton said:

Kayeil said:

I thought it was Jimmy John's. I just don't KNOW you anymore :(
    ETA: I now know why my bribe attempts never work!
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Speaking of Aussie food, I've learned some interesting/weird ones from Nat and Seragorn.

Do you eat kangaroo or fairy bread? What kind of things do you like from Australia that might be "weird" or "different" to an American?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Kayeil said:
    Speaking of Aussie food, I've learned some interesting/weird ones from Nat and Seragorn.

Do you eat kangaroo or fairy bread? What kind of things do you like from Australia that might be "weird" or "different" to an American?
    I have eaten both of those things, yes.
    Tecton said:
    Kayeil said:

I have eaten both of those things, yes.
    Oh, for the second part of your question... Vegemite, pavlova, lamingtons all fit the bill here! 
    Taraus said:
    Tecton said:

Kayeil said:

... made from the meat of real aussies?
    What do you think we do with the ones who aren't strong enough to survive in a country with everything is trying to kill you?
  • @Tecton Who's your favorite god BESIDES yourself and Sarapis.  We got three different categories for this one

Active
    Dead/Missing
    "Coolest Death"

Also, you're awesome.
  • edited April 2016
    The fear and snake venom gives the pies a real kick. It's great!
This discussion has been closed.