More Races!

I've recently read about the Death's Heart Saga from the wiki (http://wiki.achaea.com/Death's_Heart_Saga), where Sarapis gave players the additional racial choices of Grook, Xoran, Rajamala, Horkval, and Atavian.

This piqued my interest... since recently I've heard of other IRE games adding more races to their roster after all the racial stats got reworked to be based on statpacks and stuff.

So out of personal curiosity... If there were ever a similar event in the future where more race choices were added to the game. What kind of lore-friendly races would everyone like to see become playable?

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.

Comments

• PLATYPUS RACE

they wear monocles and three piece suits (specially tailored to accommodate their broad tails), spats, dashing hats
    giant duck-bills
    their racial homeland is a great river
    and they have venomous spurs
    and their favourite food is worms

What else...

Bee people

Sakuwats, the abominable snowmen from Suliel

Mouse people

Tileg, the mushroom folk from the Mirror caves

An innately hermaphroditic race would be interesting

Or a genderless race
  • Based on conversations surrounding with similar topics in the past, a non-binary race of any kind would unfortunately be too difficult to implement coding-wise.

I would reincarnate to platypus so fast.
  • A beaver race, Dam it!

• How about the Triton? They seem to have a pretty significant place in lore with the Kingdom of Lothos, Luman Village, and the existence of still-powerful Triton Empires in scattered isles to the east in the Eusian Ocean.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited April 2016
    I doubt Tritons would be added as a general race, since they are very tied up with Neraeos and His Order. But who knows. It'd be interesting if they added the Minotaurs from Hriddan and the humanoids from Isaia, though. Also, the Sidhe, or some kind of Annwyn-dwellers!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I rather liked the obsidian people of Nuskwe, they had an interesting beauty to them. They dont speak Achaean though >>

That all aside, I would rather the current races have some more interesting uniqueness returned to them. They all seem rather bland after the remake.

• Making your racial choice significant and meaningful is kindof on you. Introducing a new race is something requiring a fair investment of time on the parts of the admins and they have been pretty clear they have other things planned such as a new class.

The obsidians and tritons are both fairly reclusive races. Thus, from a historical perspective, doesn't make the most sense for them to shack up in cities.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I don't know if Mhaldor still has these types of denizens around anymore, but I'd heard they had succubi and incubi. I don't think those in particular should be picked as a race, as siren is bad enough with all the negative stereotypes. However, I think it'd be interesting to have a race that could exist on energy stolen from freshly killed corpses prior to Logosian. In Aetolia the vampires can drink blood instead of having to eat food. Rajamalans and dragons can consume corpses. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Of course, there may always be that "special snowflake" who wants to RP this race and deny themselves the sustenance offered from something they've hunted, so it could be made that food works for them, too.

As previously stated, minotaurs would be really cool.

Neat as they would be, I don't see Tritons being a choice as they're not particularly fond of land or landwalkers.

The other IRE games have other "small" races like imps. Achaea has imps, pixies, sprites, and pygmies. Although the options of Sidhe or Unsidhe would be really interesting flavour.

As much as I'd love vampires, I think that should strictly be Aetolian, but there are plenty of instances of Undead in Achaea and could result in an interesting new race.

Goblins, orcs, ogres, giants, etc.

A wolf-like race. Not werewolves, not shapeshifters. Or some other animal-based race. I'll admit the furry RP creeps me out to no end, but not everyone who picks these types of races are "furries," and there could be some interesting lore and characters made. We already have insect, feline, frog-like, bird-like (sort of), lizard-like, and goat-like (sort of) races. An alternative would be a jackal-like race.

There are creatures from the crystalline plane, maybe a race that originates from there?

There are plenty of in-game areas and things from the lore to draw inspiration from, so I'm excited to see what the admins end up picking.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Greys said:
    Making your racial choice significant and meaningful is kindof on you. Introducing a new race is something requiring a fair investment of time on the parts of the admins and they have been pretty clear they have other things planned such as a new class.

The obsidians and tritons are both fairly reclusive races. Thus, from a historical perspective, doesn't make the most sense for them to shack up in cities.
    On the ask your producer thread, Tecton said a new race would be on the cards at some point.

• edited April 2016
    I think a race, and frankly all races in general, should be introduced with the idea of a large spectrum of self-customization capable on the player's side. What does this mean? For example, take the Sidhe and Unsidhe, they represent all 'fae-type' creatures, but we have seen a large spectrum of them and of their general appearance. From water-types to nature-types to general fairy types.

If an example of a 'wolf-like' race was suggested, I would counter that it should rather be a 'half-beast' race, thus the race would have characterization of beastial attributes, but the player can select how they would look (Wolf-like? Tiger-like? Reptilian? etc.)

Edit: Although frankly we already have Rajamalan for the Cat-family appearance, and Xoran for reptilian, but you get my drift.
    Asmodron said:
    I think a race, and frankly all races in general, should be introduced with the idea of a large spectrum of self-customization capable on the player's side. What does this mean? For example, take the Sidhe and Unsidhe, they represent all 'fae-type' creatures, but we have seen a large spectrum of them and of their general appearance. From water-types to nature-types to general fairy types.

If an example of a 'wolf-like' race was suggested, I would counter that it should rather be a 'half-beast' race, thus the race would have characterization of beastial attributes, but the player can select how they would look (Wolf-like? Tiger-like? Reptilian? etc.)
    So you think xorani, grook, etc, should be redone to fit into that mold?

@Asmodron The problem with that would be that the race would end up feeling too vague. A wolf-like race is, well, a race. It can have a specific home, specific customs, specific whatever. A 'half-beast' race sounds in fact more like a collection of races, which either means more work, or a 'race' that in facts feel much vague than all the other races, which is already saying something for the most part.

• Shirszae said:
    Asmodron The problem with that would be that the race would end up feeling too vague. A wolf-like race is, well, a race. It can have a specific home, specific customs, specific whatever. A 'half-beast' race sounds in fact more like a collection of races, which either means more work, or a 'race' that in facts feel much vague than all the other races, which is already saying something for the most part.

The beast reference was more to try and get my point across. I can see why a 'half-beast' race wouldnt work now, we do have quite a few 'beastial' races as is. My general point is to try and introduce races with a wide spectrum to them for creative purposes.
    Yeah I think that would mean having to consolidate a few other races into that one, which kind of takes away from their lore and history. Like a lot of the Bal'met event was discovering more about the Xorani race. Plus each of these have skills very specific, like Xorani being able to use fire.

Asmodron said:
    Shirszae said:
    Asmodron The problem with that would be that the race would end up feeling too vague. A wolf-like race is, well, a race. It can have a specific home, specific customs, specific whatever. A 'half-beast' race sounds in fact more like a collection of races, which either means more work, or a 'race' that in facts feel much vague than all the other races, which is already saying something for the most part.

The beast reference was more to try and get my point across. I can see why a 'half-beast' race wouldnt work now, we do have quite a few 'beastial' races as is. My general point is to try and introduce races with a wide spectrum to them for creative purposes.
    So which one do you think would work, then?

Asmodron said:
    Shirszae said:

Ah I get your point now. I'll admit the reference of a wolf-like race was drawn from another IRE game, which is why I suggested the possible alternative of jackals instead. I won't lie though, the minotaur race WOULD be kind of cool, even though I don't see myself choosing it. Hriddan is a really neat area.

Maybe some kind of demon race? There are ice demons in Hriddan, and I  believe we've seen other types in other areas of Achaea, at least in events. Though there are daemons... I'm not sure what the distinct difference is here. A lot of customisation potential there, though. Wouldn't have to be  strictly Mhaldorian, though there is some tie in with some races and Gods (like rajas), it'd be cool to see a race come into existence from Lord Sartan's realm or even some other God. Lady Pandora is quite fond of pixies and imps, crystalline creatures I think would be under Lady Lorielan? I know the written Sireni history has to do with Lady Raclawice though that hasn't been approved by the admins, but Tecton did say  when I asked they'd take into account some of the possible player written histories when they reveal the true lore behind some races that hasn't been made public yet.

• An example I can vaguely recall was from a race in Lithmeria which was basically humans that were experimented upon to gain the strength of beasts. This developed a race of several different half-beast types, all with the commonality of having gained strength from the animal-kingdom. The players could then select this race and then select how their appearance would look like based on any animal they choose to look like. The vagueness wasnt there, as this race was the same race in the end with the same past and history of its development.
    Oh, that atrocious Sireni history. Please no.

More on topic, I don't think any race tied to a God would be made available for players, simply because then people are free to come with all sort of backgrounds that can and will contradict the actual canon of the God's realm, which in many cases they are not even privy to. 

Just let us play as Sidhe and Unsidhe and I'll be happy <3

• Another example I can think of are the undead from WoW. Whilst the character modification for undead isnt as unique as I recall it (could be different now) I do recall specifically in the lore of the undead (or Forsaken) that the undead were a wide variety of all the races found in the world that had been cursed with undeath. This (in story at least) would allow one to be undead but also a representation of the race they were when once living, and thus giving a wide spectrum of creativity
    Shirszae said:
    Oh, that atrocious Sireni history. Please no.

More on topic, I don't think any race tied to a God would be made available for players, simply because then people are free to come with all sort of backgrounds that can and will contradict the actual canon of the God's realm, which in many cases they are not even privy to. 

Just let us play as Sidhe and Unsidhe and I'll be happy <3
    Was just referencing it because it mentions the race being created by a God. Perhaps I should've referenced dwarves instead, but they hadn't come to mind until just now.

Undead would be cool! In Aetolia it's just a state of existence that overlaps your race (like you could be an undead atavian). However, it'd be interesting to see Achaea take that and it apply it to only one race instead of it being a factional option to go along with any race. This could tie into them having the unique ability to steal life essence from denizens just killed or to eat flesh, though I think the zombie-like thing is less appealing, and there's already two races that can consume corpses that way.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    ARCANIANS
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • edited April 2016
    I would actually love to see an undead race in Achaea.

It would be fascinating to see how the factions deal with them given the game's existing (relatively unique) lore regarding undeath with Ugrach and Soulbleed and all that. There's a lot of story already built up there and it isn't hard to imagine developments that would lead to an undead race of adventurers that's not just a copy of Aetolia's style of undead/zombie version of existing races. Ugrach is already supposed to have figured out a way to mould novel beings out of the soulbleed - he's not just zombifying existing races. And that buys you even more potential variety than just being able to make a zombie atavian or a zombie dwarf.

And whatever event creates them would make things even more interesting. Not only do you get existing attitudes towards undeath built up over years and years of lore, you also get people and orgs having to confront whether new events should or should not alter their previous attitudes toward undead. Does Targossas reject these new undead due to their origin, or do they see it as an opportunity to reach out to a new race potentially free of the previous corruption of Ugrach's undead?

The more I think about it, the more I think undead is honestly the best new race idea I've seen suggested for the game.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    edited April 2016
    No thank you to undead because Targ would 100% not be able to take them in. Yes please to races that could feasibly join all the cities. 

Edit: The question of Undeath in the place of the world is pretty well covered by modern Good, so it wouldn't be an interesting process so much as Targ's leadership/patrons/philo-geeks offering a Lorielanesque 'no.'
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Wtb Undead Paladin, searching for Life again.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Just change modern Good along with it :tongue: 

I still want Sidhe, though.

Could Targ not make exceptions? I thought you guys have some ghost paladin from the Shallam days around Mayaween? (Sorry, can't remember his name.)

• In Achaea, ghosts can be separate from undead, from what I've been able to tell.

Also, undead would be absolutely impossible for Eleusis/Nature as well.  They're probably more against them than Targ is.
  • edited April 2016
    Changelings: humanoid animal base creatures, different that the raja and grook, that come from an event involving Bopalopia magical explosion that sends waves of energy about the world, merging human and animal for the first generation.

Warforged: Magical sentient robots from Clockwork. 

Fae/pixie: short humanoid people in many different colors with wings, multiple places of origin in Achaea.

Mermaid... because mermaid
    Torinn Chiragh, Herald of Fire says, "Good, darn it."
    Talamond Averial says, "You are the least charming siren ever."
  • Kayeil said:
    Could Targ not make exceptions? I thought you guys have some ghost paladin from the Shallam days around Mayaween? (Sorry, can't remember his name.)
    Pericles!

That's just a joke because all he does is open doors and talk about doors :(.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.