Proposal to change the way Rankings work

Comments

• No one's posted with animosity towards you because of factionalism (or at all, that I've seen), you're assuming we're disagreeing out of a personal vendetta rather than just disagreeing because we don't agree.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Anaria said:
    Melodie said:
    I've definitely seen that kind of data used for mine attacks (not by anyone I know of, mind, I've just heard of the information in the past), but I can say at least for us, we didn't use that information to go after you at sea, Anaria. You were on qwho but not on land, and you spend a great deal of time fighting the little sea monsters - pretty much everyone knows that. We were out sailing for a good bit before we stumbled on you.

I've never really thought to look to rankings for a real-time check of what anyone is doing, and I don't think that's a common thing to refer to for the majority of us.
    If you say so, I believe you. That being said though, the reason everyone knows I spend so much time hunting the little monsters is because of the rankings :)

It is unfortunate that a degree of in-game factionalism seems to be bleeding onto the forum in terms of how we are addressing these mechanics and I do regret that there is this level of OOC animosity that seems to be at play whenever we discuss these issues. I actually had a tremendous amount of fun in our 40 minute long naval battle. Contrary to what your side seems to think you did have me on the ropes quite a few times. Having Mhaldor as an enemy to fight has given my experience on Achaea a focus I could not find any other way. Thank you for being my bad guy.
    Well, we knew you were an avid sailor before, and then we've seen you sunk by sea monsters recently - that's enough of a guess right there. The only additional information rankings gives us is that your average level is low, which tells us that you stick to the kiddie pools. But like I said, the feature you mentioned - the real-time updater - is not a thing we've ever relied on. Rankings is a good indicator to, well, rank people, and I enjoy it for that feature alone, not for tracking whose online and doing what.

At the end of the day, we're all players looking to have a good, fun time. And it's because of that passion for the game that we tend to dig in hard into whatever we're doing, which includes when we feel features/mechanics aren't working as they should. I'm still firmly in the camp that things need further adjustment for adventurer vs. adventurer ships (and I do believe that's still on the list of things to do), but if you want to provide some numbers to prove otherwise, feel free!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Kiet said:
    No one's posted with animosity towards you because of factionalism (or at all, that I've seen), you're assuming we're disagreeing out of a personal vendetta rather than just disagreeing because we don't agree.
    I'm certainly glad to hear that. One might have come to that conclusion based on how ardently players from one particular side appear to be disagreeing and their choice of words in expressing that disagreement.

Melodie said:
    Well, we knew you were an avid sailor before, and then we've seen you sunk by sea monsters recently - that's enough of a guess right there. 
    Never actually been sunk by a seamonster, at least not since they were officially implemented. Just sayin. ;)
  • I don't see why they couldn't add a ship talisman that when placed on the deck would remove you from the seamonster rankings, or other various arties to remove you from the different rankings. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Micositu said:
    I don't see why they couldn't add a ship talisman that when placed on the deck would remove you from the seamonster rankings, or other various arties to remove you from the different rankings. 
    Or... just update them daily.
    Huh. Neat.
  • No one wants them to update daily except the people who think they're being used to figure they're hunting seamonsters when it's already self-evident anyway.
    Kiet said:
    No one wants them to update daily except the people who think they're being used to figure they're hunting seamonsters when it's already self-evident anyway.
    Is anyone particularly against them updating daily? I can't think of a great argument against it off the top of my head.
    Huh. Neat.
  • If you update them daily that doesn't make anyone pay for something. If you want to change the way the game works to make it more enjoyable for you, you should have to pay for it.
    I'm going to slap you. Hard.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kiet said:
    No one wants them to update daily except the people who think they're being used to figure they're hunting seamonsters when it's already self-evident anyway.
    Is anyone particularly against them updating daily? I can't think of a great argument against it off the top of my head.
    I think if you read the actual thread you might find arguments against it!
    Kiet said:
    Ahmet said:
    Kiet said:
    I think if you read the actual thread you might find arguments against it!
    Only argument I see against it is cause you enjoy consistently checking rankings when doing something. When it concerns removing the ability to track someone's action at sea from anywhere without penalty, that doesn't seem like a "great argument" to me.

Buuuuuut that's just my opinion, so it should be taken with buckets of salt.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Read the first post. Skipped ahead. 

By the logic presented in the first post then who and quickwho should also be done away with. I mean, how could @Crixos (random, but relavent, example) possibly know that I'm in Annwyn in an in-charachter way?
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Other people are against it too, though. Major reasons are: it's not broke, don't fix it and the one you just quoted. There really is very little to change it, beyond at most obfuscating the information slightly.

Realistically, no one is going to go hunt you because they saw your rankings seamonsters go up. They can already check to see if you're on mainland and hazard a guess if you're a frequent sailor.
  • Xaden said:
    Read the first post. Skipped ahead. 

By the logic presented in the first post then who and quickwho should also be done away with. I mean, how could @Crixos (random, but relavent, example) possibly know that I'm in Annwyn in an in-charachter way?
    There is an in-game defense against this in the form of the Gem of Concealment artefact, ship com screens, and to a degree, the veil of the sphinx artefact. There is currently no defense from the ranking updates.
  • I love seeing my rankings go up in real time. That's my preference because I am an absurdly competitive person and gosh darn you Durande, I'll leave you in my sea monster hunting dust one day.
  • Anaria said:
    Xaden said:
    Read the first post. Skipped ahead. 

There is an in-game defense against this in the form of the Gem of Concealment artefact, ship com screens, and to a degree, the veil of the sphinx artefact. There is currently no defense from the ranking updates.
    Oh I know about all of the defences (though, I don't currently have any) maybe they should add an arte defence against this instead?

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    All I've learned is that I still can't stand the way Anaria talks to people on forums and that I need to get back on my ship and watch rankings.
  • Things could be worse...
  • Kez said:
    My product rates might be a bit off by now because it's been a while since I mined, but ...

Sometimes the numbers look too big. Just means the miners hit the bonus where they pulled extra product. It's not too frequent though. I only see 2 definite bonuses in this list and a few possible ones. Running it again on the next day would sort it all out. I see 2 probably collapsing mines. Comparing it to previous day would confirm if they are and give up the info about how well defended the mine is. Great time to attack since they won't fully collapse until 10-15 minutes after this report can be pulled. Can also guess whether someone is likely to be using high or low level defenders based on how far from a multiple of 20 their miners are at compared to how much mining they've done. I think it is too much information. I emailed Sarapis with a display like this in the first week or two of mining and he said he was going to obscure the numbers in the rankings, but since then I've assumed he either forgot or changed his mind.

Carbon report.
    Coal report.
    Yae mined 790 Coal today using about 395 miners.
    Regi mined 200 Coal today using about 100 miners.
    Naheka mined 400 Coal today using about 200 miners.
    Aerek mined 72 Coal today using about 36 miners.
    Majin mined 40 Coal today using about 20 miners.
    Eivan mined 572 Coal today using about 286 miners.
    Allene mined 490 Coal today using about 245 miners.
    Artanis mined 40 Coal today using about 20 miners.
    Valkyn mined 584 Coal today using about 292 miners.
    Goldore report.
    Medi mined 17 Goldore today using about 170 miners.
    Bronislav mined 31 Goldore today using about 310 miners.
    Impureice report.
    Ironore report.
    Majin mined 4 Ironore today using about 13 miners.
    Jed mined 68 Ironore today using about 227 miners.
    Aegoth mined 30 Ironore today using about 100 miners.
    Epifania mined 36 Ironore today using about 120 miners.
    Medi mined 35 Ironore today using about 117 miners.
    Dochitha mined 34 Ironore today using about 113 miners.
    Artanis mined 12 Ironore today using about 40 miners.
    Greys mined 324 Ironore today using about 1080 miners.
    Platinumore report.
    Rawbone report.
    Rawgems report.
    Rawobsidian report.
    Proficy mined 106 Rawobsidian today using about 159 miners.
    Aegoth mined 66 Rawobsidian today using about 99 miners.
    Rawstone report.
    Bambi mined 32 Rawstone today using about 78 miners.
    Killian mined 49 Rawstone today using about 119 miners.
    Regi mined 41 Rawstone today using about 100 miners.
    Saeva mined 81 Rawstone today using about 197 miners.
    Aluciana mined 113 Rawstone today using about 275 miners.
    Aerek mined 33 Rawstone today using about 80 miners.
    Eivan mined 124 Rawstone today using about 302 miners.
    Epifania mined 139 Rawstone today using about 338 miners.
    Allene mined 131 Rawstone today using about 319 miners.
    Isvariel mined 82 Rawstone today using about 200 miners.
    Laytron mined 278 Rawstone today using about 676 miners.
    Rangor mined 83 Rawstone today using about 202 miners.
    Valkyn mined 139 Rawstone today using about 338 miners.
    Silverore report.
    Proficy mined 42 Silverore today using about 138 miners.
    Saeva mined 19 Silverore today using about 62 miners.

Mining report for Aegoth.
    I think Aegoth has about 100 miners dedicated to IronOre.
    I think Aegoth has about 99 miners dedicated to RawObsidian.
    You know more about my own mine than I do apparently. 
  • Tahquil said:
    I love seeing my rankings go up in real time. That's my preference because I am an absurdly competitive person and gosh darn you Durande, I'll leave you in my sea monster hunting dust one day.
    I agree.

Watching my xp rank climb every 30 minutes is awesome!
  • Aesgar said:
    Tahquil said:
    I love seeing my rankings go up in real time. That's my preference because I am an absurdly competitive person and gosh darn you Durande, I'll leave you in my sea monster hunting dust one day.
    I agree.

Watching my xp rank climb every 30 minutes is awesome!
    Mine almost never moves nowadays. :(
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I watch mine like a hawk. And given that there's like two people currently at level 108 I'd imagine the next couple weeks are going to be incredibly frustrating.

• Mine bounces around so much, it's hard to tell if I'll be plus five or minus five the next time I return to the lands. I'm told because of retirement and dormancy and I'm in that sweet zone for levels.
    Torinn Chiragh, Herald of Fire says, "Good, darn it."
    Talamond Averial says, "You are the least charming siren ever."
  • edited March 2016
    I will amend my original post slightly and say that I don't feel that all up-to-the-minute updates are a bad thing. That wasn't where I was coming from. Not all rankings are created equal after all.

My concern is only really with specific rankings that effectively "leak" your information to anyone who cares to pay close attention to them, regardless of the in-game countermeasures that you buy with credits or an assumed need to invest time in searching. Personally I would love to see an item for sale, preferably in the Shop of Wonders or possibly for credits, that functions as a delaying mechanism for the more problematic boards such as seamonsters and mining. Ideally said delay would be from Serenade to Serenade. This would give more usefulness to Mayan Crowns and/or generate more revenue for IRE, effectively solve the issue, but also not really change anything for those wishing for up-to-the-minute updates of there own statistics.
  • I mean someone has to go check every spawn point if they're using seamonster rankings, and if they're gonna put in that much effort to hunt you they're gonna do it whenever they see you're at sea anyway.
  • edited March 2016
    Kiet said:
    I mean someone has to go check every spawn point if they're using seamonster rankings, and if they're gonna put in that much effort to hunt you they're gonna do it whenever they see you're at sea anyway.
    There are around two to three spawn points per monster level and some are within five minutes sail of each other. That is not so much "putting in effort" as it is sailing straight to your location with no searching required at a moments notice. It is about the equivalent of firing a flare into the air after each kill.
  • And why couldn't they do that without rankings seamonsters?
  • @Anaria, it's going to come to the point soon that no matter what type of monster you kill it's not going to move your average level anyway.
  • I thought this topic died weeks ago with how frivolous and inane it was. Who brought it back from the dusty, decrepit tomb it was mercifully buried in? Shame on you