Requires Balance/Equilibrium in AB Files

Instead of just "Cooldown", could we get lines for "Requires" and "Cooldown"?

So "Requires" tells you whether you need to be on-balance or on-equilibrium to use the ability (or on class balance) and "Cooldown" tells you how muc balance or equilibrium it actually takes (or class balance, which I'm not sure whether it current lists).

Right now, the documentation for a lot of this stuff is really piecemeal and in a few crucial cases pretty unintuitive, with only certain random AB files mentioning that certain abilities can be used together. It would be nice if it were just made clear and, since obviously the game's engine already knows which abilities require which balances, I'm guessing it should be possible to add this programmatically without having to go through all the skills by hand?

Comments

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    I think this would be helpful for new players.

It seems the skills files are very rp but sometimes I'm like wtf does this do and i have to try it out to figure it out... Maybe that's the point??

• This would be helpful for knowing what you could combine to use up 2/3 balances at once (I didn't know I could vinerend and propagate at the same time, which is going to be handy for slickness/asthma variants etc.
    I didn't know I could do many of the skills I can do simultaneously... Maybe a skill like "combo" in tekura that tells you what you can do

• From the title I thought you meant you wanted AB X to cost Balance/EQ and I was so very confused.

I like the idea though, would help out a fair bit.
  • Agreed.

I have had some novices asking me what abilities are shield and what abilities are sword.

For example, trip doesn't specify. 
  • Its not possible to do this programatically, unfortunately. It'd have to be a manual job like the assigning of bal/eq times (which is a massive time sink; there are over 2000 ability entries that would need to be audited, and its not a small number over 2000 either).

It could happen down the line (or it could not), but given the time investment I am about 99.9% sure it isn't going to happen in the immediate future.

Yeah that sucks. Right now it's just up to us to teach new priests to smite chasten and disrupt all in one go.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Makarios said:

Its not possible to do this programatically, unfortunately. It'd have to be a manual job like the assigning of bal/eq times (which is a massive time sink; there are over 2000 ability entries that would need to be audited, and its not a small number over 2000 either).

It could happen down the line (or it could not), but given the time investment I am about 99.9% sure it isn't going to happen in the immediate future.

The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Makarios said:

Its not possible to do this programatically, unfortunately. It'd have to be a manual job like the assigning of bal/eq times (which is a massive time sink; there are over 2000 ability entries that would need to be audited, and its not a small number over 2000 either).

I've heard some scary things about Achaea's legacy backend stuff, but the idea that programmatically extracting balance costs is impossible (or at least very difficult) is legitimately terrifying. You have my sympathies.
  • Sounds like the Celani task from hell.
  • Tahquil said:
    Sounds like the Celani task from hell.
    Alternately, it's the marathon endurance race that will determine who is worthy of coder-hood, and who shall fall into the gutter of failure.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Cant we, as experienced players, create a thread with which skills can be combo'd? I know not all players use the forum but its something at least. I had zero idea of what could be used in combination with other things when I went Runie and Kasa has been teaching me like a 5yr old trying to walk. "oh, yes you can touch tentacle/arc curare" and "lol, you can engage in the same attack as as long as its done last" These things are -really- handy and can make the difference in feeling you can fight and being overwhelmed.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Might be worth putting on the wiki, in the class specific pages

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Cant we, as experienced players, create a thread with which skills can be combo'd? I know not all players use the forum but its something at least. I had zero idea of what could be used in combination with other things when I went Runie and Kasa has been teaching me like a 5yr old trying to walk. "oh, yes you can touch tentacle/arc curare" and "lol, you can engage in the same attack as as long as its done last" These things are -really- handy and can make the difference in feeling you can fight and being overwhelmed.

It might be worth submitting TYPOs in-game asking for that information to be added to the individual AB files. It's going to be a considerably smaller effort than going through all 2k+ abilities and adding that information for each one, and a lot of the actual work involved in identifying the abilities that need changing would be done by players rather than coders. Maybe get somebody to confirm that that's something they're going to be happy with us doing first, though.

It's probably not quite as good as having a specific listing for each ability of what they require, but much better than nothing. The default assumption should be that if an ability uses balance or equilibrium, it requires both, unless there's a specific exception mentioned in its AB file. Something as simple as "This ability may be used without equilibrium." at the end of AB WEAPONMASTERY ARC should be sufficient in that case to indicate that it can be combo'd with any other ability that uses equilibrium.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    That can probably be done, but it would have to be done by super reliable people who keep up with this stuff because it could easily become out of date later and forgotten.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Makarios said:

Honestly, if you email me a list (not one email per file please) of ones that you think are missing and problematic, I'm happy to update the abfiles if appropriate. Probably easiest as I can do them without someone having to spend time verifying if the report is right or not. If its a skill wide thing (like say, striking, artifice), that should probably be bugged as it can just get added to the general skill helpfile or some such.

I've updated chasten/arc/engage, for reference.

Why achaea is one of the best games I've ever played 101