Ideas for gold sinks and IG credit prices

Comments

• Antidas said:
     if you can't afford the time to post an actual explanation, then maybe just not responding at all would be a better bet.
    That was in fact what I was doing - not responding, because taking the time to explain mudflation is not really a great use of my time. Then a couple people got upset that we weren't responding, so I gave them the response that should have told you everything you needed to know about what we think of buying lessons with gold, was factually correct, is the same answer everybody who has asked that same question over the last 17 years has gotten, and didn't take up much time.

The only reason I did end up writing out something of an explanation about mudflation and how it works is because it was storming, I lost internet, and couldn't do what I was doing, so wrote a post to put up when the internet came back on.

You're going to have to accept that the only answer you're going to get from admin sometimes is a blunt, brief one. It's literally why we have the idea system - because it's very easy for us to reject or accept ideas quickly. Explanation takes time.

• edited March 2016
    Jarrod said:
    People getting "That's not the response I wanted" and "That was a bad response" confused.
    Maybe that'd be a decent argument if I had actually posted at all in this thread beforhand and had shown any sort of semblance of a preference. As is, I didn't, and I don't have one. Don't care what actually ends up happening, and I don't really think CFS is problematic. I just felt the answer provided wasn't fair.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I always assumed most of the CFS are really just indirectly coming from org credits and people just sell their unbound ones to get enough gold to buy the org ones at the subsidized price. 

That and the occasional ship buyer.  
  • Antidas said:
     I just felt the answer provided wasn't fair.
    Fair enough! Had I taken more time, it would have been a better answer, but I hadn't intended to respond at all.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aerek said:
    Achilles said:
    I always assumed most of the CFS are really just indirectly coming from org credits and people just sell their unbound ones to get enough gold to buy the org ones at the subsidized price. 

That and the occasional ship buyer.  
    A practice that I recently learned that some orgs think is theft, fascism, Satan, and the season finale of Lost all rolled into one immoral package.
    Nononono, buying org credits and selling those is theft.

Selling your own credits to afford org credits is not.
    Huh. Neat.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    How is selling something you own theft? :open_mouth: 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Most orgs sell their credits on the basis that their members need a little subsidised boost for their lessons/arties. I haven't bought org credits for a very long time now (for obvious reasons), but the unspoken condition was always that you didn't take those 3-5k gold creds and put them up on the market for 6k to turn a profit.

I guess they view it like taking your foodstamps and changing them for cash so you could go buy drugs or something.

I seem to recall buying 10 to keep half and sell half though. It's hard to get caught so long as you don't go market CFS >_>

• But orgs can decide to only sell bound credits or sell unbound only at 7k, so what's the issue?
  • I always sold unbound at 1000g per credit higher than bound, because I assumed people bought those for resale.

To think otherwise is pretty naive.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    yea I buy unbound credits with gold made in game, then sometimes have to sell them to buy bound credits from orgs.  I don't think I've purchased any credit packages since the reckoning event.  I'm still pretty pissed with how that ended so I've mostly boycotted credit purchases aside from elite.
  • We generate gold ingame, and credits are injected via OOC purchases. A very good indicator of this balance is the CFS. CFS going high is merely an indicator that gold generation is higher than credit generation. High CFS is not a problem itself, so no fixing is needed.

As an indicator:
    So we have a great hunt and hey, CFS price increases, as expected, people are participating.
    So we have a credit bonus sale, oh CFS drops, nice, people are buying.
    So we have a non-credit promo, oh CFS didn't change, oh, less people are generating gold (hunt/quest).

CFS can kinda indicate the activity mass population is taking and also as a comparison and measurement of various magnitude and effects of discounts, sales, events.

Yes it also indicates when gold sink event is needed, or we can run a credit injection, or a non-credit injection promos.

What I think.

• edited March 2016
    There we go, high end bashing got nerfed. 3x sidhes, 3x unsidhes, 1x DKs, only got me 250K. Probably a 20% nerf. Also made safer areas like Dun etc more favorable now, not sure if they are nerfed too.

EDIT: Also did 1x delos and 2x upper Tir.
  • Dochitha said:
    There we go, high end bashing got nerfed. 3x sidhes, 3x unsidhes, 1x DKs, only got me 250K. Probably a 20% nerf. Also made safer areas like Dun etc more favorable now, not sure if they are nerfed too.

EDIT: Also did 1x delos and 2x upper Tir.
    Look at the bright side, at least they didnt mess with the respawn rate so you can still loop your areas. Imagine if respawn was random between 20-120 minutes on a per denizen basis (what they did to mining when people complained).
  • edited March 2016
    Is it just me or was this thread more engaging than the presidential nomination debates?
  • ... Well Targossas built a riverwall already ...
  • edited March 2016
    This might be a bad idea but what about the ability to transfer bound mayan crowns between players for bound credits?

Gold to credits to bound credits essentially removes the gold from circulation, more so when the bound credits or mayan crown gained from the transaction are spent which they likely will be.

Just a thought!
  • Gold from credit transfers doesn't get spent, it just moves hands.
  • I think we should introduce trickle-down economics! Introduce a stock market in which the wealthy cash invest their money and make a steady interest on their gold at a slight risk and increased interest for increased risk. With the wealthy looking to get wealthier, they'll look to have more gold invested, so they will sell of their credits. And taking a slight price dip now will surely pay off in the next 200 years, so selling your credits at a loss could still bring in profit.  

Oh,  and give the mentors more credits. They'll surely not hoard them for themselves.  They'll share them with their proteges, who will benefit greatly from this bountiful boon.  

Aesgar said:
    This might be a bad idea but what about the ability to transfer bound mayan crowns between players for bound credits?

Gold to credits to bound credits essentially removes the gold from circulation, more so when the bound credits or mayan crown gained from the transaction are spent which they likely will be.

Just a thought!
    Kiet mentioned one of these, but a few things:

1) I'm extremely skeptical that players will ever be able to transfer bound credits to another player (or crowns for that matter) in any form (disregarding giftables)

2) Gold doesn't disappear, it just changes hands

3) This has no effect on the supply of gold, but would actually decrease the supply of credits available

Whywouldthiswork
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Aesgar said:

Just a thought!

1) I'm extremely skeptical that players will ever be able to transfer bound credits to another player (or crowns for that matter) in any form (disregarding giftables)

3) This has no effect on the supply of gold, but would actually decrease the supply of credits available

Whywouldthiswork
    How to bound credits turn back into gold?
  • edited March 2016
    Aesgar said:
    The way to make that gold disappear would be to buy those initial credits directly from IRE with the gold. As Kiet said, no gold-for-credit transfer between players actually removes that gold from the game.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Aesgar said:
    Ahmet said:
    Aesgar said:

Just a thought!

Whywouldthiswork
    Nobody said bound credits turn back into gold. I'm confused :confounded: 

Huh. Neat.
  • Rangor said:
    Rather than gold dumps, it'd be just as efficient and much easier to reduce the gold in the game by reducing rewards from bashing, questing, ship trading and so on. It would basically do the same thing as creating gold dumps (housing, improvements, mine salaries, rurin, etc.)
    I just started reading this thread, so I don't know if it's been said... but the only thing that ever happens when admin do that are that the rich stay richer longer because they have the gold in reserves when things get nerfed, and the poor never stand a chance.

Then it turns into a "Who can afford to buy the credits with real money to sell them over the market for a quick bit of gold" instead.

I know there's never been a good balance with gold turn in quests, since end game level chars can just LOLCLEAR in like two seconds and reap the rewards, but they really are invaluable for the midbie levels that are 60-85 or so. Those are the times quest turn ins are the bread and butter because things start getting more expensive, you start having goals that require gold (shop keeping, licenses, housing credits, as well as gear and cures which cost more because you go through more at that point).

Pretty sure the only reason the credit market is going up is because of the OOC promos right now, not because the game suddenly has that much more gold spread around it. With mining, ships, shops and whatever else there really are a good amount of sinks in place as it is

tl;dr

JUST TELL DRAGONS TO HUNT IN DRAGON-Y PLACES AND LEAVE OUR LITTLE GOLD TURN INS ALONE. (sort of a joke but kind of not really)
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Nataliia said:
    Rangor said:
    Rather than gold dumps, it'd be just as efficient and much easier to reduce the gold in the game by reducing rewards from bashing, questing, ship trading and so on. It would basically do the same thing as creating gold dumps (housing, improvements, mine salaries, rurin, etc.)

tl;dr

JUST TELL DRAGONS TO HUNT IN DRAGON-Y PLACES AND LEAVE OUR LITTLE GOLD TURN INS ALONE. (sort of a joke but kind of not really)
    Would be fair if non-dragons stayed out of dragon places, but alas, that isn't how the game goes, so anyone can hunt anywhere they want without restriction unless the admins force a restriction.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Hey, if we're getting rid of gold quests, can we PLEASE get rid of the gods be damned pearling quest in tasur'ke, so all these idiots can stop taking Magi pearls and turning them into useless nothing? Please.
  • Being forced to hunt in dragon only places would suck, I prefer to hunt in serpent (and hunt much, much faster than in dragon) and can't tank them. Areas like Dun, Quartz Peak and Moghedu are not dragon only, but dragon friendly and much better.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Valkyn said:
    Being forced to hunt in dragon only places would suck, I prefer to hunt in serpent (and hunt much, much faster than in dragon) and can't tank them. Areas like Dun, Quartz Peak and Moghedu are not dragon only, but dragon friendly and much better.
    Oh yeah. Not proposing a restriction at all, just explaining why it won't make sense to restrict dragons and not anyone else.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• With the recent change to quests I can only see things getting worse for the midbies. Why spend the extra minute going from Moghedu to Tenwat when I can go 5 rooms to quartz peak and get the exact same amount of gold?
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.