Activity in Orgs

Hi everyone.  I wanted to get an idea of which Orgs are the most active.  I have started in Targossas but it seems quiet (I have not been playing long enough to know if that's right).  Ultimately I'd like to be in an org with an active player base who have a good mix of pvp and cultural activities.

Appreciate if you can give me some insights into the activity of the Orgs and maybe some thoughts on if Targossas is as quiet as it seems.

Comments

• All of orgs can be pretty active, really depends on day and time, and even then with 4 people on you could be the one to initiate the activity.

also don't throw yourself at a city because of activity, pick one you would enjoy developing, and definitely look at classes.
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    HI Gichori,  I'm one of the leaders of Targossas and while it might seem quiet.  If you walk around you usually run into other Targossians in the city.  We're always willing to RP with people and even help you to get started.  You'll find yourself in the Targossian academy soon where you will start learning more about the city and culture.  Welcome to Achaea and to Targossas.
  • Activity comes and goes. One month ago Targ was like the biggest non-Cyrene city in the game for a while when everyone made their supernewbs there. Eleusis is now the biggest non-Cyrene and they were being called absurdly small in October.
  • Kiet said:
    Activity comes and goes. One month ago Targ was like the biggest non-Cyrene city in the game for a while when everyone made their supernewbs there. Eleusis is now the biggest non-Cyrene and they were being called absurdly small in October.
    Yep, I remember when there could be hours at a time where I would see only my name in Cwho in mhaldor, while ashtan would have 2-3 lines of people who could induct. Best to just build your character and direct it to preferred role play and class direction, if you go for activity you'll be stuck following a moving crowd
  • edited March 2016
    Kiet said:
    Eleusis is now the biggest non-Cyrene
    Is that really the case?

City population always fluctuates, but I never imagined Eleusis ending up as the largest. Strange times.

I guess it sort of makes sense since there's a lot of room for more unaligned characters in the whole Nature thing.
  • Yeah, Eleusis is huge now. Can't really fight them most of the time because even combatant-only they outnumber most other cities.
  • Kiet said:
    Yeah, Eleusis is huge now. Can't really fight them most of the time because even combatant-only they outnumber most other cities.
    Eh, it does still depend on time zone a fair bit. More than other cities, possibly, though it hasn't been at the "Sarathai and Shirszae are the only people logged in" level for a few months. I'm glad we seem to be past that particular phase.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• I'm on at all sorts of times and Eleusis is never the smallest city no matter the time that I've seen.
  • Hashan is pretty big right now, too. I haven't seen less than ten on CWHO in a while, and it goes up to about 30 regularly. Great to see.

Agree on pick a city for the flavour not the activity though! All cities ebb and flow, Ashtan was huge for years now it's nearly dead.

• Yeah people accused me of goign to Mhaldor 'bandwagon' when I went over, and look at our CWHO now :D But I still have fun because it's just the city I like, so ultimately activity's not that important as long as you're not completely unable to do anything, and none of the cities are that small.
  • edited March 2016
    As a person who plays Achaea and has no direct tie to any particular city, here is my mostly unbiased, completely outsiders view point:

Eleusis for PvP activity and numbers, but not so much culture. Also, trees. Lots and and lots of trees.

Mhaldor for teamwork and focus, but not numbers. Only go if you like evil RP. If you do, great culture. If you don't...

Cyrene for numbers and cultural activity but not PvP. Only go if you want to avoid fighting other players completely. 

I have nothing against Targossas but they do seem to be in a slump right now from what I can tell. Then again, what better time to get in on the ground floor before the numbers shift in their favor once again.
  • Anaria said:

I have nothing against Targossas but they do seem to be in a slump right now from what I can tell. Then again, what better time to get in on the ground floor before the numbers shift in their favor once again.

I wouldn't say slump really, myself. We've had a quiet two weeks maybe. 

I think the priest bandwagon ground to a halt around the same time as a handful of people left...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• It would probably be better to try every city instead of no city in order to present an unbiased position. No disrespect intended but the word is ignorant, not unbiased.

It's pretty impossible not to have culture so I have to assume the complaint is lack of community in Eleusis instead. No idea. I know they have some political difficulties but I don't think those compare to some other cities.

Those approaching Mhaldor for evil-RP for the first time can suffer culture shock. I see them more about the self-sacrifice and spreading the bad word. Like if Jehovah's Witnesses came to your door and converted you at gunpoint.

Cyrene has a house whose sole purpose is fight-for-my-city. They try to maintain a balance between the noncoms and the coms enjoyment in the city, which can be hard, but they've always been a melting pot.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    What I think that most people forget is that activity in orgs is usually based on a small handful of people or the patron pushing things into motion because the majority population couldn't be arsed to think of anything themselves (#notsalty). If you want activity in an org, learn a bit about it, look for areas that you'd like to see improve and then start doing something about it.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Anaria said:
    As a person who plays Achaea and has no direct tie to any particular city, here is my mostly unbiased, completely outsiders view point:

Eleusis for PvP activity and numbers, but not so much culture. Also, trees. Lots and and lots of trees.

Mhaldor for teamwork and focus, but not numbers. Only go if you like evil RP. If you do, great culture. If you don't...

Cyrene for numbers and cultural activity but not PvP. Only go if you want to avoid fighting other players completely. 

I'd say Mhaldor is tied or ahead of Eleusis in PvP activity, but otherwise pretty accurate.

Also, what @Jonathin said is 100% accurate. A few people carry every city, so one or two people going inactive can often be devastating.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kiet said:
    A few people carry every city, so one or two people going inactive can often be devastating. 
    *cough*sartan*cough*
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kiet said:
    A few people carry every city, so one or two people going inactive can often be devastating. 
    *cough*sartan*cough*
    No. He always hated his children anyway. #productofneglect

• I don't really get why someone would say Eleusis lacks in culture. If you're having trouble finding RP or intrigue in Eleusis, you're uh ... really not looking very hard?  Place is full of interesting drama and exploration of the faction and its principles.
  • Probably because it's drowned out in the rather large faction that should've moved to Cyrene ages ago.
  • Kiet said:
    Probably because it's drowned out in the rather large faction that should've moved to Cyrene ages ago.
    Maybe, I've found people to be great so far @Rom , @Rangor , @Shirszae , @Sarathai , All seem very different in their RP and gameplay enjoyment but all definitely add something to Eleusis, even if I've not personally enforced myself onto the poor village yet.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    @Kiet If people want to play forestals with a pacifist bent they should be able to, though. Cyrene is a whole different ball-game. Personally, I rather enjoy Eleusis being so diverse.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Penwize said:
    @Shirszae, there's degrees of pacifism though, and some of them are distinctly against Eleusis' RP and direction.  If you play as someone who doesn't like fighting, but who wants to support Nature and learn from it, that's great and we definitely need people like that to help flesh out Eleusis' culture.  But if you play as someone who actively opposes fighting and thinks we shouldn't even defend the forest, or that it shouldn't be anyone's concern, or that we should just ally ourselves with everyone instead of fighting their actions against nature, then yeah you should probably consider why you're a citizen because you don't really align with Eleusis.
    I think the people who are personally pacifists but offer equipment, abilities curatives etc to combatants to defend nature is ok by me, some people can barely keep up with the combat, and being able to help in someway is still awesome.

Complete pacifists? Unfortunately yeah, cyrene exists, rogue exists, definitely a jerk opinion to have, but I can't see how a village that, in it's purist form, is about forcefully expanding, and defending, nature, I can't see how true pacifism works with it.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited March 2016
    There are very few people who are truly and wholly pacifists, though. Of the kind that don't want to fight absolutely anyone and don't want anyone else to fight either.  At least I cannot think of that many who are like that.

Being somewhat more choosy about enemies and whatever else is a whole different matter, I think. 
    But anyway, thats a subject that goes down a whole different lane.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Lucianus said:
    Penwize said:
    @Shirszae, there's degrees of pacifism though, and some of them are distinctly against Eleusis' RP and direction.  If you play as someone who doesn't like fighting, but who wants to support Nature and learn from it, that's great and we definitely need people like that to help flesh out Eleusis' culture.  But if you play as someone who actively opposes fighting and thinks we shouldn't even defend the forest, or that it shouldn't be anyone's concern, or that we should just ally ourselves with everyone instead of fighting their actions against nature, then yeah you should probably consider why you're a citizen because you don't really align with Eleusis.
    Been in an org like that in another IRE. Hated it. If you were CL, you had to deal with those who were completely against the org's RP and direction, and additionally they would often try to undermine the org itself by creating factions and making allies with other orgs you are RPly against.

When you're competing against other organizations while trying to deal with internal issues like that... it really drains your motivation. Always envied strict orgs who had no tolerance for that stuff.
    one thing I really respect about current Mhaldor is that they won't let this happen, but that can also be attributed to how strict they can make their RP.

Eleusis, of what I've been apart of, has been great at nurturing instead, which is perfectly symbolic, if you show interest, you will get help, but you have to sprout first. Once I made it clear I was going to be getting into combat once I bash up a decent level I got help from all sorts, and it hasn't stopped yet. 

On track though: Orgs really suffer when no one takes up the mantle to really enforce, and move, the cities or houses goals and motivations. Hashan has completely 180 turned with this, the leadership appears to be really pushing into people being active and responsive, and they are benefiting amazingly from it, we just need all the aligned cities to do so, and get a nice influx of players who are keen to follow that path, we'll have a lot of fun, active orgs.
  • Minifie said:
    Lucianus said:
    Penwize said:
    Been in an org like that in another IRE. Hated it. If you were CL, you had to deal with those who were completely against the org's RP and direction, and additionally they would often try to undermine the org itself by creating factions and making allies with other orgs you are RPly against.

When you're competing against other organizations while trying to deal with internal issues like that... it really drains your motivation. Always envied strict orgs who had no tolerance for that stuff.
    one thing I really respect about current Mhaldor is that they won't let this happen, but that can also be attributed to how strict they can make their RP.

Eleusis, of what I've been apart of, has been great at nurturing instead, which is perfectly symbolic, if you show interest, you will get help, but you have to sprout first. Once I made it clear I was going to be getting into combat once I bash up a decent level I got help from all sorts, and it hasn't stopped yet. 

On track though: Orgs really suffer when no one takes up the mantle to really enforce, and move, the cities or houses goals and motivations. Hashan has completely 180 turned with this, the leadership appears to be really pushing into people being active and responsive, and they are benefiting amazingly from it, we just need all the aligned cities to do so, and get a nice influx of players who are keen to follow that path, we'll have a lot of fun, active orgs.
    It helps when you have an active divine too. Who can just swoop down from the heavens to smack people upside the head and then shake their finger while saying, "NO!"
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • You can really be nurturing and strict, though. Mhaldor goes way out of their ways to help novices (providing we have time, since very few people have to split a lot of work).

IMO Eleusis should be a lot stricter. Maybe not Mhaldor/Targ levels, but at least enough that people who are actively working against their ideology cut it out or move somewhere else. They don't have to sacrifice any nurturing for it.
  • Kiet said:
    You can really be nurturing and strict, though. Mhaldor goes way out of their ways to help novices (providing we have time, since very few people have to split a lot of work).

IMO Eleusis should be a lot stricter. Maybe not Mhaldor/Targ levels, but at least enough that people who are actively working against their ideology cut it out or move somewhere else. They don't have to sacrifice any nurturing for it.
    I meant it more metaphorically, in that Eleusis' "nurturing" is gentle in the sense of a sapling (as per what I've seen, this is completely opinion based), while Mhaldor is nurturing in a very tough, but loving trainer kind of way, strength through adversity.

I do agree Eleusis could use with being stricter, but I think the balance for it would be 70-30/60-40, Forestall community shouldn't be completely focused on combat side of RP, but it should definitely be the most important.
  • I don't even believe it has to be about combat, but it should be  antagonistic to cities at the least.