Question about Seconds

edited March 2016 in General Questions
Its not really about Seconds, but that is the rule I am concerned about breaking.  My son (who is only 11) has been really interested in Achaea since he started watching me play.  He has expressed an interest in playing, but I admit to not being 100% comfortable with him alone in the Realms - yeah, I'm a protective parent that way.

I told him he could play on the laptop while I play on the main computer, and he was ecstatic.  He wants to make a Rajamalan Magi (he's been doing some reading with me), and I am happy to chaperon his journeys through Achaea.  He's agreed to not log in without me there, and to follow certain rules (like he can't join a city I am not part of etc, at least at first).

My concern is this - that's two computers coming through the same IP (if I understand how that works anyway) who are staying together more often than not.  I'm concerned I'd end up getting us both banned.

Is there any way to resolve that concern?  I know this is a question for he administrators far more than for the players, but I thought maybe it had been resolved before.  Surely there have been partners or friends who have lived together and been able to play together.

Comments

• KezKez
    edited March 2016
    I've done it. I know others who have. Just had to issue self to give a heads up about the situation so they wouldn't accidentally punish someone.

But I think you need to be 13 to play achaea so he wouldn't be allowed. :(
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Yep, just file an issue to let us know in-game, and we'll put a note on your file. You'll also want to make sure they're registered to their own account, rather than a character on your registration.
  • Kez, where did you find the 13+ rule?  I didn't see it... but I might not be looking in the right place.

Thanks to you both for the answers though!  Hopefully the age isn't an issue.
  • help 15.2
  • Yup, there it is.  Dang.  Oh well, he still gets to play RPGs with me.  :)

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Kez, where did you find the 13+ rule?  I didn't see it... but I might not be looking in the right place.

Thanks to you both for the answers though!  Hopefully the age isn't an issue.
    They have yet to id me.  I understand and support the 13 year old age limit, but if you're restricting him and being mindful of what he is encountering(and who), I see no real reason to disallow him.  Keep in mind, some areas of Achaea are very graffic, but little fellow can see and read way worse with a three second Google search.  I doubt you convince IRE to publically state they are okay with him playing because of liability issues, but a lot of players have started out younger than the 13 year old threshold.

• Autere, I agree with everything you just said (and the search history on his tablet already got him in trouble once! :) ).  We'll see what plays out, and how upset he is (if at all) when I tell him we can't do it.  Not going to force the issue if its not worth the fight.
  • I imagine the 13 years age restriction has less to do with the specific content of Achaea and more to do with US law. There's a whole host of extra things you have to do and requirements you have to meet to provide online services (that require registration?) to children under 13, so it's generally easier to just not allow them to use it instead.

Not a lot of 12 year olds spending big money on Achaea, I imagine.
  • I haven't had IRE jump at me for playing with a friend on a single ISP since 2005? I guess they realised it's pretty common, and it did really put my friend off the game.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Valkyn said:
    I haven't had IRE jump at me for playing with a friend on a single ISP since 2005? I guess they realised it's pretty common, and it did really put my friend off the game.
    They never yelled at me for same ISP, but I registered my friend's account under my info and shit went down. They haven't bugged me about it since, though, so I guess they left a note or something.

Then again, he rarely plays anymore.

Now I'm sad :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • From what I remember in discussions about seconds before that the admin have a few tools and ways of spotting a single person playing multiple accounts instead of multiple people from the same IP address. Like one of them was that both accounts would send commands one at a time (i.e. Person A would talk, Person B would talk, Person A would talk, etc etc)
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Isn't that how people talk?
    Torinn Chiragh, Herald of Fire says, "Good, darn it."
    Talamond Averial says, "You are the least charming siren ever."
  • Pretty sure that A and B are supposed to be characters belonging to the same player, having totally separate conversations, rather than two characters talking to each other.
  • Same with the IP situation.
    Had myself, a friend and the wife all log in from the same IP several times. Though all separately registered accounts. Not a dicky bird from anyone about it.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• I play in a household with others and have no issues, but separate accounts. I think it's super adorable that he wants to play! I started when I was a little older, having a parent who was into it would have been the coolest thing ever.