Tankiest/ best bashing class

What is the tankiest class? I am a retiree from Aetolia and will have about 3,000 credits. I really like to bash and i'd really apreciate any advice.

Comments

• Tankiest? For bashing it's Runewarden, hands down
  • What artefacts would you suggest?
  • Depends which spec you want to go.

@Sena would he be better off with a sip ring and critical pendant before a level one or two weapon?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I'm not really sure how much difference the weapons make (for any spec), so I can't say which would be better.
  • edited March 2016
    Personal opinion here, for 3k credits. SoA, two lvl 2 weapons(spec choice), lvl 1 sip ring. This of course leaves no room for a crit pendant, but you could pick the lucky trait for crits if need be. I may be completely wrong >.>

edit: Of course, if S&B or 2h weapons is viable, you would only need one lvl 2 weapon, and would thus be able to afford a crit pendant.
  • I've heard 2h is great hunting, but not entirely sure.

I like SnB with an SoA, SoA saves lives.

Lvl 2 weapon 800c, Lvl 1 sip 500, Lvl 1 crit 200c, SoA 800c = 2300c

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I don't have any hard numbers but I've hunted almost exclusively from 85-96 as a Runewarden through lucrescent nuts. 

I found sword and shield excellent as far as being tanky with decent speed to it.  You can use a buckler to pick up the pace slightly if you want to clear faster and use tower if you wanna go in areas that might just be a little out of reach - especially if you gebu/gebo your tower. 

As I leveled I found 2H faster at clearing as my critical rate has gotten higher since things just explode.  Both specs worked fantastic but if you're looking for raw I don't wanna die potential I think sword and shield with a Shield of Absorption would be great. 

Both specs have their pros and cons and both work really well.
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    Honestly, I hear a lot of praise for knight classes being tanks, but I'd still say a good tank would be a priest. They can take a lot of damage, both physical and afflictions, though somewhat slower than a knight. It is also a class you won't need a lot of Arties for bashing but will need to be at least near trans in spirituality to get empathy, care, and refuge. And get rite of healing in devotion. Priest is also one of those classes that is just plain fun bashing with. Their battle rage is glorious and with a bit of effort you can get from 1-lvl 75 with one day of play time (24 hrs) and that's just unartied. Artied priests are another story, quite a few of them producing record times for end game.

I know you're from Aetolia, so forget everything you know about priest there. They're a lot faster here, produce more damage, have the ability for increased endurance generation, have a lot of resistances using things like earth shield, you can pair them with a paladin for even more benefits. The only downside is it is a factional class, unless you trans your skills and go rogue, but even then you're still somewhat restricted on what you can hunt.

If you're not wanting to deal with factional headaches then going runewarden would be the best idea. They are as fast and damage producing as let's say the Zealots of Aetolia.
  • We should really get a pinned post with all this info. We are having these threads pop up a lot, especially with people coming over from other IRE games given the retirement option.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Tagging @Aerek for knight hunting advice. I want to say I hear SnB is best balanced bashing but I'm not sure if that holds true.

Also echoing Jeslyn, priest with a couple of key artefacts (shield, artefact mace, sip ring, maybe a crit pendant) is some ridiculously awesome bashing. Maybe not quite as good as runewarden, but not exactly a far cry from it either. Sylvan's another. Both of those, of course, require certain citizenships/roguehood, so knight might be the best for versatility. 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Atalkez said:
    I've heard 2h is great hunting, but not entirely sure.

I like SnB with an SoA, SoA saves lives.

Lvl 2 weapon 800c, Lvl 1 sip 500, Lvl 1 crit 200c, SoA 800c = 2300c
    I totally wasn't taking into effect lessons needed for skills. What skills are necessary for a Runewarden?
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Finkle said:

I found sword and shield excellent as far as being tanky with decent speed to it.  You can use a buckler to pick up the pace slightly if you want to clear faster and use tower if you wanna go in areas that might just be a little out of reach - especially if you gebu/gebo your tower. 

As I leveled I found 2H faster at clearing as my critical rate has gotten higher since things just explode.  Both specs worked fantastic but if you're looking for raw I don't wanna die potential I think sword and shield with a Shield of Absorption would be great. 

Both specs have their pros and cons and both work really well.
    This is all accurate. Runewarden is highly tanky because of Weathering, fullplate, and runes, and S&B is the undisputed bashing king of Runewarden because it does great damage and gets to use shields or a SOA. 2H Runewarden is also a fantastic hunter, deals more damage than S&B, but is still second place because it can't use the SOA. The other specs' hunting is pretty is pretty lackluster.

You only need Trans Weaponmastery and Runelore up to Berkana to optimize hunting. Chivalry is all utility and PvP stuff (other than Weathering, which is its first ability), and Runeblades are strictly PvP. If you have any intention of participating in PVP, you should go strength build, because STR is critical for knight attacks like Disembowel, but if you're just interested in bashing exclusively, strength doesn't help that much, so you could go CON build and become invincible.

I don't really own artefacts, so can't comment as much there. I don't personally feel that S&B is boosted greatly by artefact swords, though. They -help- but I don't see much bang for the buck, as opposed to 2H where fighting a forged weapon and fighting a Dreadblade is a completely different game.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Thank you everyone for the input!
  • Bards bash very well, too, although their lesson investment is a bit higher (You'll want swashbuckling and harmonics). You can focus on con spec for max health, with the extra point from traits in strength. Harmonics are a bit of a game-changer with bashing. Balance and equilibrium are 15% faster, you get 15% health/mana ticks, passive affliction curing on a (supposedly) 15s tick. And even without an artifact, harmonics last 15 minutes. 

The crits are a little less spectacular than 2H or SnB, maybe, but you get the SoA, and when you start getting more crits, you still smash through stuff at no more than a  2s balance if you go with a forged rapier. 
  • Israyhl said:
    The crits are a little less spectacular than 2H or SnB, maybe, but you get the SoA, and when you start getting more crits, you still smash through stuff at no more than a  2s balance if you go with a forged rapier. 
    The crits may feel less spectacular because they aren't as big as the 2H and they won't be as frequent as the SnB since it gets two attacks, but there's no actual difference in performance.

Crit rate isn't dependent on class (aside from Alchemist - I don't think any other class has a reliable source of crit bonus) and it's ultimately just a multiplier on your DPS, regardless of how you arrive at that DPS (whether it be large attacks or multi-hit attacks or whatever).

If the DPS of one attack is twice as high as the DPS of another attack before crits, it'll be twice as high as the DPS of the other attack after crits.
  • Penwize said:
    @Taeltwo, I keep telling you that DPS isn't a good metric to gauge bashing efficiency with, except against crit immune mobs.  Crit rate has a significant impact on kills per minute, because of the rate at which certain levels of crits will outright kill things.  Achaea's crit tiering magnifies that effect to a significant level.  To that effect, saying things like "there's no actual difference in performance" is untrue, as faster attacks will get higher yield crits faster, which will result in outright kills faster.  This is why I prefer to measure efficiency in kills per minute, rather than damage per second, because damage per second lies to you a little in Achaea.
    Would anyone who has the maths be able to work out at what point speed would outstrip raw damage? seems like if people have the numbers it would make for an interesting graph for each class (if they have multiple bashing attacks) and, if all things are equal (highest stats with arties etc) where classes land versus each other as well. Of course I just love numbers...
  • I've always found that many small fast hits beats slow big hits. Slow big crits will overkill too often, while small fast crits will not.
  • If you are willing to Artie out some, both bard and alchemist are absolute beasts at hunting. Bard is great with its harmonics, ability to be con heavy (I would take your trait point in con too. I know it's a cheaper stat than strength but unless you are willing to start stacking strength on hard the damage difference when I tested was much more negligible than the con increase). Bard really starts to look amazing with dwinnu and cantata, and aria is a 10% health increase you can keep up on a 60 second timer while hunting (requires undeaf so avoid hostile places or be careful and ready to redeaf when Seragorn comes to reclaim Annwyn.

Alchemist is also beast mode. Petrifying has to be one of the biggest damage reductions in the game at the cost of an extremely slow movement speed. There is a critical bonus, as well as sip bonus that is easy to keep up. Hunting benefits from diadem, collar, sash. The downside to alchemist is the best bashing is as quick witted and combat requires nimble, but the hunting as nimble is really good anyway. Slower, bigger hit attacks, but a diadem definitely shaves a lot of time off.
  • Esme said:
    If you are willing to Artie out some, both bard and alchemist are absolute beasts at hunting. Bard is great with its harmonics, ability to be con heavy (I would take your trait point in con too. I know it's a cheaper stat than strength but unless you are willing to start stacking strength on hard the damage difference when I tested was much more negligible than the con increase). Bard really starts to look amazing with dwinnu and cantata, and aria is a 10% health increase you can keep up on a 60 second timer while hunting (requires undeaf so avoid hostile places or be careful and ready to redeaf when Seragorn comes to reclaim Annwyn.

Alchemist is also beast mode. Petrifying has to be one of the biggest damage reductions in the game at the cost of an extremely slow movement speed. There is a critical bonus, as well as sip bonus that is easy to keep up. Hunting benefits from diadem, collar, sash. The downside to alchemist is the best bashing is as quick witted and combat requires nimble, but the hunting as nimble is really good anyway. Slower, bigger hit attacks, but a diadem definitely shaves a lot of time off.
    Yes, been at both classes, Bard is a lot better than Alchemist though, but like @Esme said, both are beasts. Bard earns tankiness from Aria, Continuo, Tune, but Bard requires you to artie out to really see it shine. Alchemist however, just need con spec, and yeah Enhancement for more health, petrifying for damage reduction, bolster in case you got a burst, endorphin for room healing, and magnesium battlerage speeds up hunting a lot, not to mention sulphur and mercury educe for sip bonus, and exstispicy for more crit. Oo...I miss alchie, going to go back alchie'ing!
  • Watched a retiree serpent choke their way to 75 in 4 hours or so with just a level 3 lash. Once criticals start kicking in force I think I'd be terrified. 

• Khairt said:
    Watched a retiree serpent choke their way to 75 in 4 hours or so with just a level 3 lash. Once criticals start kicking in force I think I'd be terrified. 
    You should see Penwize now that he's gone Serpent. It's insane.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Dropping that 3 constitution to maximize garrote speed is rough, though. He may have had better results from Bard with his artefacts. Only downside is the split in damage between jab and accentato.
  • Artied serpent is blazing fast, but unless you are also defensive artied you aren't going to be able to bash the highest level areas. I have a level 3 lash/level 2 sip/level 1 regen/level 2 bracelet/level 2 con/SoA and can't bash sidhe. It would be doable if I had a dex artie and could get more con, but one backstab or snipe or lunge would still ruin your trip. In dragon I at least don't have to worry about that stuff.

• Yeah, Serpent is sort of the epitome of glass cannon bashing, but that's actually why I'm enjoying it so much I think.  I suddenly have a lot more to iron out and optimize, so it certainly raised the ceiling for me a bit.

I haven't tried Bard bashing, mainly because the class's flavour is kind of off putting.  Maybe I'll find a way to make it work some day.
  • I have L2 lash and L1 dex arty, L3 con, L3 bracelet, L3 sip. Specced to 17 dex once and hunted, I can hardly tank anything big. No sidhes, no unsidhes, no delos guards, no DKs without running, making it kinda inefficient. I still believe I have not optimized it, there's still room for +1 level lash and +2 to dex, and I could probably put more con if I get L3 dex, and efficiency becomes how I spread con vs dex ...I am not optimistic about being able to tank better. 
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    More dex reduces your need for tanking after a certain point.  I don't have even close to those arties, but with a level 3 lash and laytronite (is that the dex one?), I tore through Sidhe
  • I've enjoyed artied bard and alchemist a lot more than artied serpent hunting wise. I only had 15 dexterity and a level 1 lash (16 constitution, I believe, level 2 bracelet, SoA) which I feel like was a good balance between tanky and quick, but I still feel like it didn't hold a candle towards bard or alchemist. Maybe I wasn't willing to sacrifice enough constitution for dexterity, though.  That's the cool thing about bard and alchemist. Going constitution heavy is hardly punishing in any way. Bard was just leagues better than serpent (dwinnu and cantata are amazing. Dwinnu especially if you like to hunt mobs that ensnare like the Lady Sidhe) and tanky with a huuuge health pool, to boot.
  • 15 dex is hardly going to boost serpent bashing offense at all was likely your problem. Artied serpent bashing starts to get super at like 18+ dex at least.