Random Achaean thoughts

SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
edited March 2016 in North of Thera
These don't need a feedback, just random weird musings. 

Like, the day you create your character is basically your character's birthday. So, as you turn 18, you either wake up completely naked in a bar on a floating island where a guy takes you out to soothe your munchies and go on an ill-advised adventure in one of the most dangerous places on mainland, meet some creepy old lady who tells you to 'enter the fire' and you end up in a mythical place with golden fields, legendary figures who are all happy to see and talk to you, or find yourself in a cell about to be sacrificed by cannibal pygmies.

You really have to wonder: WTF kind of 18th birthday celebration did you have the night before?! 

Comments

• Left home to see the world when he turned 18, got bashed over the head and wound up in the pygmy dungeon.

Then proceeded to have all sorts of shenanigans.

I'm almost terrified for what the tutorials were like before, tbh.
  • I am struggling to remember my first tour. Loom island and all that. Gosh. It's gone. :( All I remember is Colbey was in it so he was unkillable, and you got a free journal. I think Colbey might've given a shortsword and proficiency.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Yeah he gives you this super shitty shortsword (infamously called Colbeys) and teaches you the prof. You also get taken to Shallam to buy a pack and mutton, stuff like that.  And you also go to azdun butt nekkid except maybe for your pack. There,  your companion is killed by goblins and you get saved by a paladin who makes you climb the ladder up naked, and then makes you sleep naked next to him. 

The order is kinda jumbled up for me but that's the gist of it.  In the end you get to choose your city etc and of course after all that Shallam exposure, lots of genuine newbs tend to choose Shallam.  Except the ones with stories of paladin raep in the dakhota hills.  Those usually go to Mhaldor or ashtan or something.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    The second tour is what I mostly remember, which is where you're walking down a road and run into this old lady, and she asks your name and goes through some basic commands before she sends you into the Tree to enter the flame, which is how you're "reborn" as an adventurer, burning you away into ash and then it all goes black. When you wake up from that, Pasiphae (a daughter of the first two human twins born of Maya) greets you and gives you robes and then directs you to do some random walking around in this... some sort of garden and/or plane set apart from Achaea.

One part you have to go find this old guy who has a map and he teaches you about all the different cities, and how to use tells. Other guy - god, his name escapes me, but the troll - basically teaches you how to do KICK and PUNCH and etc, and then takes you to a little market where he gives you gold to buy a vial of health and a pack. Then lastly you have to go face some "scary" creature to get the Dragon Orb... the creature itself escapes me, I remember it had an annoying name I could never remember how to type out. But basically this Dragon Orb is supposedly full of your power and potential (and I believe in lore, is what grants you both the distinctional difference from denizens, and the reason why you're able to be granted a dragon soul once you get so strong). That orb disappears and then you leave the plane by entering a pool, and then that throws you into the actual real-world of Achaea, at the ring of portals.

Thinking about it now, that tutorial had a lot of lore tied to it that isn't in the new tutorial. Sort of curious how some if it is meant to be conveyed in the new age.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Aodfionn said:
    I'ma go ahead and be that guy; Gruul wasn't a troll! 
    Clearly just confusing him with you. Or, you know, shitty memory. ;)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Correct! Gruul was Arcanian,  which is never clarified as either a race or a place (to my knowledge).
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • But are renowned for making shitty ranged ship weapons.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Aodfionn said:
    Correct! Gruul was Arcanian,  which is never clarified as either a race or a place (to my knowledge).
    Arn sounds like a place, and Arcanian sounds like the... uh, what was the word again? What you call people from Arn. Maybe. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Yes, its just never established whether the mercenaries of Arn are multiracial or no; aka, does Arcanian refer to a race, or to people from this place? Its the difference between race and text-nationality, or whatever interplanar equivalent
  • God damn it @Lorielan, stop giving me she-boners. I'm not comfortable enough with my sexuality for your posts.
    If Gruul was only eight feet tall, why did every novice in the intro wind up only four feet tall D:
    Maybe he's got really long legs and a short torso. 

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Tahquil said:
    God damn it @Lorielan, stop giving me she-boners. I'm not comfortable enough with my sexuality for your posts.
    Read me the Mythos. Read it to me slow.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Maybe Gruul's a ball-chinian.
  • Melodie said:
    One part you have to go find this old guy who has a map and he teaches you about all the different cities, and how to use tells.

The other guy was Severian, the cynical foil to Nikolas optimism before the founding of Seleucar. He later helped Nikolas (who became Emperor Nicator) found Seleucar and became the emperors right hand man, even outliving him. http://wiki.achaea.com/Severian_Marcella

I remember going "wow!" making an alt later after reading the founding of Seleucar mythos. I also remember at one point finding a bug where you could actually pick up the orb without having to kill the dragon guardian.

I feel like the Trial actually did what it was suppose to do: it drew me into the story of Achaea. After finding Achaea through the site we're always voting for (after trying Aardwolf out. Horrible experience), the interesting story behind it with the colors text that actually looked good (So much hate, Aardwolf) that I not only enjoyed my experience but that made me want to come back, as my first second encounter with a Mud and true newbie at the time.

You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • There was two options you could take to get the orb. If you went down one path you had to kill the guardian to get the orb. The other direction... I can't remember but it was non-violent.
  • A maze, I think.
    It wasn't much of a maze. But it was a lot faster than newbiekicking the guardian to death.

• I feel like the pygmy intro is contrived and adds no depth to the mythos or world at large. Its engaging, but lacking that storyteling substance that draws you into the rich, vibrant history of achaea
  • While the original intro probably had a heap of issues when it came to actually teaching people enough to start the game, and player retention..

I still remember the 'awesome' moment when the Paladin saved me from the killer goblin, as my first introduction to a text-based game.

• I miss that Paladin guy :(

Aardwolf sucks terribly, having tried it for 2 hours.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Aegoth said:
    I feel like the pygmy intro is contrived and adds no depth to the mythos or world at large. Its engaging, but lacking that storyteling substance that draws you into the rich, vibrant history of achaea
    The history quest was fleshed out a little more and is pretty good at telling intro stories 
  • I miss the original intro.