Nexus vs Mudlet

I'm very frustrated now.  Talking to several people they say I have to use mudlet to compete and take advantage of the game systems.  I used sovf and a GUI for mudlet, I played for a maybe an hour with that... I just can't get into the looks or the feel mudlet (personally using mudlet turns me off)  I don't know how to code, or make alias, triggers and such anyhow.

Now I've clocked 24 game hours of play using Nexus and love it - but now I'm stressed to the point of not playing because of having to use MUDLET.

Can anyone ease my frustration, prove some of the people wrong (saying that I have to use mudlet).  I do not plan of ever trying mudlet again...

Thanks

Comments

• YaeYae
    edited March 2016
    You don't have to use Mudlet if you don't want to. It's possible to play the game entirely from the website. It's just a majority of Achaeans do tend to use Mudlet, and that means there's more assistance (more user scripts, etc) for it. If the website is easier for you, then that's fine. 

The Achaean team is slowly getting Nexus up to par with Mudlet, as you can tell with recent updates.
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • You don't have to use Mudlet, and if you wanted to learn, you could make all the aliases and triggers your heart desires in Nexus. There are actually two ways to create those in Nexus now - one of which doesn't require you to know anything about scripting. 

This documentation needs more explanation, but see here, for instance: 
    http://nexus.ironrealms.com/Simplified_Scripting

You can play around with it under the Reflexes tab in the Settings menu (gears in the lower right in Nexus). Click the 'add' button and then select Trigger, for instance, to make a new trigger without needing to script at all. 

I'm going to be making another Nexus tutorial video on Simplified Scripting in the near future to help out with learning how to use it, but if you want to see other features of Nexus in the meantime, check out the existing videos under the Tutorials Videos tab at the top of http://nexus.ironrealms.com
  • Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I'll continue with the Nexus.  I'd like to your new videos Sarapis.
  • edited March 2016
    I use Nexus exclusively, now it takes some extra work to translate things to a different coding language, but barring that you can utilize many scripts people have written once you develop a modest understanding of how to do it in Nexus.  That is by no means necessary though, especially with so much of the functionality handled by the client, as @Sarapis already posted a link for.  Good luck, and stick with it, ultimately you're here to have fun so don't feel obligated to use something you don't like.  

P.S. I feel the same way about Mudlet, bleh it's ugly imo
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Part of me wishes Nexus was at the stage it is now when I returned from a 7 year dormancy (about three years ago) - I picked up Mudlet and learned to code for it as it was the go-to client at the time. If I were starting fresh now, I'd be all over the Nexus client because it natively does a lot of things that need to be coded up for Mudlet (room inventory, people in room, separate chat windows, defences, etc).

I am too invested in Mudlet at the moment to make the switch, but would encourage new players who don't know how to code (whether or not you want to learn) to go with Nexus.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I haven't tried the latest web client yet, but reading through the documentation I am very impressed with what they're doing in a browser.

My impression of Mudlet is also unfavorable compared to other standalone mud clients available for windows (CMUD, MUSHClient, etc.) so I understand your frustration.

• The people that insist you need mudlet to compete either a) have no idea what nexus is like and are comparing it to the old web clients (which were in fact pretty far behind client-side options or b) are talking about things they know little about.

Nexus as is right now is really, really good. If you want to do some very specific things, Mudlet is better, but if you can't articulate what these specific things are, then you really aren't going to notice (and most of these people saying Nexus can't compete can't articulate these things). The #1 reason to go with Mudlet is going to be the more widely available scripts/tech support, but that's changing slightly with the wiki and new documentation for Nexus.
  • I would say the major problem with Nexus right now is that it does get bogged down a bit in super spammy situations, like group combat. We're working on some optimizations that are pretty easy, and if that makes a difference we won't have to re-write significant portions of it to deal with volumes of text more gracefully. We will if we have to though, because we do want to be able to deliver a good experience to players on the client end that doesn't require them to mess around with downloading third party programs and is actually cross-platform.
  • Sound triggers, desktop notifications, and minimalist UI would drive me to give it a trial run back over from Mudlet. Sounds awesome!
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Kiet said:
    The people that insist you need mudlet to compete either a) have no idea what nexus is like and are comparing it to the old web clients (which were in fact pretty far behind client-side options or b) are talking about things they know little about.
    Or c) want to leverage existing code written for mudlet, or even just passively use whatever most people are using as many people did with the original vadi systems, because what's out there for nexus is thin yet and what's out there publicly for other clients is mostly old.

That's not me, though I do like studying existing systems.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Nexus looks just fine compared to Mudlet in most aspects, so choose what you like. The only disadvantage to Nexus, really, is the lack of available script packages to help accomplish things that the GUI doesn't already do. I would say this is a minor inconvenience UNLESS are a class that relies on limb counting in combat. Limbcounters are complex script packages that must be very reliable and fault-proof, and I don't know of any for the Nexus client yet.

That's really my only point against it. Until some sort of server-side limbcounting exists, Nexus just isn't competitive for limbprep classes, unless you have the scripting skill to write your own counter. (And if so, please share with the class.)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Froh said:
    Kiet said:
    The people that insist you need mudlet to compete either a) have no idea what nexus is like and are comparing it to the old web clients (which were in fact pretty far behind client-side options or b) are talking about things they know little about.
    Or c) want to leverage existing code written for mudlet, or even just passively use whatever most people are using as many people did with the original vadi systems, because what's out there for nexus is thin yet and what's out there publicly for other clients is mostly old.

You don't need to grab other people's scripts to compete, though! "It's easier to find scripts for mudlet" is true, and I even mentioned it in my post (but you cut that out of the quote). That doesn't make mudlet superior, or nexus unable to compete, though. It's just a quality of life preference.
  • They will be an increase in Nexus scripts as people start getting use to it and making their own things. The new nexus client is relatively new and hasn't had the time to build up the same repertoire of scripts mudlet has. Just pick whatever you find most comfortable to work with.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Does Nexus have any method to store data cross-session? I fiddled with it a bit but I don't see any modern browser allowing you to directly read/write from disk without some serious workaround.
    Huh. Neat.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Ahmet said:
    Does Nexus have any method to store data cross-session? I fiddled with it a bit but I don't see any modern browser allowing you to directly read/write from disk without some serious workaround.
    Yes, it's saved to Achaea's servers and re-downloaded on next login. So it works from anywhere
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: Nevermind, I see it says variables are saved cross-session. That's neat.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I'm curious if someone could help me make a fishing script using nexus?  I'd like to learn to make reflexes, and I love to fish in real life - so if I could learn by a making a fishing script that would help make fishing a bit easier that would be great, thanks.
  • Ahmet said:
    EDIT: Nevermind, I see it says variables are saved cross-session. That's neat.
    You have to make sure the client settings get saved though.

If, for instance, you set a client variable, then quit without saving (and an autosave hasn't happened yet), the variable won't get saved.
  • Kiet said:
    Froh said:
    Kiet said:

You don't need to grab other people's scripts to compete, though! "It's easier to find scripts for mudlet" is true, and I even mentioned it in my post (but you cut that out of the quote). That doesn't make mudlet superior, or nexus unable to compete, though. It's just a quality of life preference.

The relevant portion was you saying that there were only two types of people who think some people "need" mudlet to compete, with your phrasing of those alternatives amounting them either being ignorant (your alternative a) or loudmouth idiots (your alternative b).  I disagree.  While I personally dislike mudlet for reasons of ui design (clunky), implementation (slow, annoying cross-platform library which isn't consistent with any of the OS's it runs on), speed, and stability, I understand why some people like it without feeling the need to insult them.

You need to have good scripts to compete.

That means either writing them or using other people's, and a healthy community and clan plus support group counts for a lot if you're not the kind of person who just understands scripting and has put the time in to get all of the trigger text and timings + special conditions.  Or even if you are that kind of person but want to take advantage of crowdsourcing as new classes/skills/tweaks are made.

• Ok with me being new to the game, and nexus, what scrips do I need to compete? can you give me an example of what I need to get?
  • Murp said:
    Ok with me being new to the game, and nexus, what scrips do I need to compete? can you give me an example of what I need to get?
    When you say compete, what do you refer to?

You can do CURING ON, CURING SIPHEALTH 90, CURING MOSSHEALTH 90, CURING TRANSMUTATION ON
    (assuming you're using minerals instead of herbs) and do pretty much everything not-PK related in the came with relative ease. No scripts required.

If you're wanting to get into PK, you'll want something to highlight enemies names, some priority switching stuff, obviously aliases for all of your abilities. If you're choosing a class with tertiary balances, you'll want scripts that can handle that.  - things like that. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • How do the mapping features compare? I'd always thought one of Mudlet's biggest advantages was its mapper integration - find, mark, being able to walk to any room etc. Can you do that on the nexus client?
  • Achaea itself has server-side pathfinding through the Landmarks system (HELP LANDMARKS), though it doesn't support things like artefact wings, being able to warp, etc. like Mudlet's mapper script does. I also don't think it supports searching for a room by name or walking to an arbitrary room by name or ID; you'd have to set a character-specific landmark in that room first before you could autowalk there.
  • Antonius said:
    Achaea itself has server-side pathfinding through the Landmarks system (HELP LANDMARKS), though it doesn't support things like artefact wings, being able to warp, etc. like Mudlet's mapper script does. I also don't think it supports searching for a room by name or walking to an arbitrary room by name or ID; you'd have to set a character-specific landmark in that room first before you could autowalk there.
    They did add it so you could walk to most (if not all) areas by name, just not the few listed in LANDMARKS. It's not quite as good as going to specific rooms, but it's a great start!
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!