A small tweak

13»

Comments

•         
  • I would just like to underline the fact that as an avid hunter(Ranked 73rd in XP) and a avid kiddy pool cleaner(Ranked 3rd - tied with Artanis on kills)..Both activities was done with the same amount of ease.

Thus the start of this topic and frustration.
    To me it was all about the cost of monster hunting vs the return. Not how easy it was

I am also a veteran in the harder areas, me and Artanis hunted the same area before my ship I would have bought was sold to someone else.This is why i started in the kiddy pool with Lubber I crew again.

• @Anaria is not the norm.  She is to seamonster hunting, what Penwize is to bashing.  No other ship comes close to her time investment to be where she is in seamonster rankings.

My apologies to both of you, this was never intended to be a diss Anaria or @Penwize moment.  I was not referring to which activity was easier or which was harder.  In developing assumptions, sometimes you have to exclude certain things or events, because they are not normal.  I was specifically commenting to your time investment not being normal in comparison to other players.  I was only working through a simple development of a logical thought process.  It's not a plus or a minus, simply an assumption and an exclusion.  It was not my intent to create this unwarranted venom against you two.  I have absolutely no animosity, nor jealousy toward what your two characters do.  You are obviously doing something that you enjoy doing, it's something that suits you and your personality as well as your character.  I applaud the fact you are not sitting in some room, whining, sniveling, and gossiping about something someone else is doing, because I personally find that the most destructive force on Achaea.  But that's no different than real life, is it?

• Honestly as I read over the thread "Ideas for gold sinks and IG credit prices" and see the mythical levels of gold allegedly being generated by certain dragons per hour, I'm left wondering why anything in this thread even matters. If even half of what I'm reading in that thread is true, a RL years worth of work could probably have been done in a RL month if I had chosen to invest in bashing instead of the oceans and had the right teacher.

When people are allegedly racking in per hour what I can make per ten hours of tedium, it is time for me to take my ball and go home. When things like ahmetite/rageblade (whatever those are, the thread doesn't really tell me) and this Golden Braid relic exist how in the world is the kiddie pool payoff even an issue at all? Either way, to heck with it.
  • Anaria said:
    When things like ahmetite/rageblade (whatever those are, the thread doesn't really tell me) and this Golden Braid relic exist how in the world is the kiddie pool payoff even an issue at all? Either way, to heck with it.
    Ahmetite increases gold drops by 40% for an hour.

The Rageblade is a relic sword (usable by anybody) that has decreasing balance as your health decreases. It's very easy for some top-end dragons to just sit at 30% or so (which is still about 3k health, mind you), sipping back up to it as needed, and unload a storm of critical hits on whatever is unfortunate enough to be in the way by jabbing more than once per second and basking in the crit speed.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Sarathai said:
    Anaria said:
    When things like ahmetite/rageblade (whatever those are, the thread doesn't really tell me) and this Golden Braid relic exist how in the world is the kiddie pool payoff even an issue at all? Either way, to heck with it.
    Ahmetite increases gold drops by 40% for an hour.

The Rageblade is a relic sword (usable by anybody) that has decreasing balance as your health decreases. It's very easy for some top-end dragons to just sit at 30% or so (which is still about 3k health, mind you), sipping back up to it as needed, and unload a storm of critical hits on whatever is unfortunate enough to be in the way by jabbing more than once per second and basking in the crit speed.
    And the Golden Braid relic on top of that doubles gold. Gotcha. Thank you for cluing me in. I appreciate it.

I would give your post a Like in gratitude, but I'm actually to busy throwing up in my mouth right now...
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Penwize said:
    Anaria said:
    Kiet said:

There's a lot less ships doing seamonsters than there are people bashing.

In the higher level zones I am sure that is true. I am rarely alone in the lower level zones.
    If that's honestly the case, you might be doing something wrong there.  Since the changes to bashing, most hunting areas have more than enough to supply almost everyone, and there's almost always going to be somewhere alive and ready for you to bash.  Maybe not the popular areas everyone knows about, but a little exploring and trial/error will go a long way there.  It did for me.
    She's referring to seamonster zones Penny
    Huh. Neat.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    When it comes to the multiple relic plus minerals combination, there are probably less than 5 total Achaeans who are doing this on the regular. They're pretty much the exception, not the rule, on the potential of gold making. These people are generally already heavily artied as well.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Okay so... Referring to sea monster hunting, since I actually did that a bit ago and murdered some stuff that nearly destroyed our ship a ton of times.

Higher level monster zones (or at least the unnamed war galley spawning areas) don't seem to give too much bang for their buck.  Sure, the kiddy pool has a spawn timer of 20 minutes now.  However that gives 7k.  This one?  14k, requires a team of at least 2 (we had 4 to be safe).  I got about 5x the xp I did from the kiddy pool (split with another person there) of 1% compared to 5% at the unnamed war galley.  We nearly lost the ship about 7-8 times on our ship ( I don't even remember the size of our ship, Ask @Aerek or @Tahquil ).  The thing in question here is risk vs reward.

The kiddy pool provides 7k with no risk, and can be taken down by a single person with no issue.
    The Phocian Reaches was painful on our ship.  With a weird spawn timer where we killed one, another one instantly spawned and started attacking our already weakened as hell ship.  This lead to a TON of risk alongside issues where we nearly sank a ton of times.  The area was flat out brutal (and we supposedly didn't even get to the harder ones that spawn there, that I assume give the same reward!).

So, let's calculate the Risk factor.  The singular person gets 7k every 20 minutes for no risk, and can practically just sit there AFK.  Not the best, but hey.  It's pretty easy and nets some experience.  Sure, they lose some gold for weapons and ammo not received, but there is no real 'risk' unless another player attacks them there. 

The Phocian Reaches place requires at least 2 people (more than likely more) with a HIGH chance that the ship might sink, still high even with our 4-man crew.  The experience is better (marginally), but the gold doesn't really scale that well.  The gold got about doubled, turning it into about 14k every 7 minutes, IF you can kill it in 7 minutes.  Which, likely, isn't going to be the case unless you're super duper fast on the shot and maybe have all ballista for long range shenanigans.  Either way, 14k split between 2 people ( or split between 4), is 7k or 3.5k per person respectively.  The risk is horrendously higher, you're putting yourself at risk of PVP (where you're at a disadvantage because you already have a sea monster beating the hell out of you).

I think sea monster rewards could stand to be increased.  If not just for the lower area (since it is basically a tutorial level), then by upgrading it for the stuff that isn't that to make it better.  Sorry that this dragged on forever, I just sort of had a lot to say on the matter even though I'm still sort of a newbie to all of this.

please dont kill me
  • We were on a strider with no one weapons 5. Weapons 5 makes a Huuuuuge difference in killing speed and survivability.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    @Frederich For the record, our crew for that voyage was very sub-optimal. We only had one Deckhand to help repair, so most of our time was spent out of combat waiting for me to get the hull caught up, and then we had to rest after 2 monsters because my endurance was shot. None of our crew was Weapons 5, so our shots were slower, and the poor girl on the onager was Weapons 1. Our faster firing (Weap 4 and 3) was kicking her aim constantly, and she couldn't even use her Watch 5/Comm 5 because we already had someone on the figurehead. There were 4 people on the ship, but we basically had a crew of 2.5, and everything that could go wrong pretty much did. (Seas were rough, the hardest monsters kept spawning, our SPPs were sub-optimally arranged) That's not meant to complain or offend anyone, everyone did very good with what they had to work with, and I knew we weren't really well-setup when we left, I just wanted to give you guys a taste of what real monsters were like.

My point is that what you saw on that trip was hunting at about 50% effectiveness, maybe 30%. If all 4 of our crewman had Trans seafaring, and we rearranged some SPPs, we would have easily doubled or tripled our take in the same amount of time, and been in much less risk. (Deckhand 3 helps a lot) Basically, the odds were stacked against us in every way, and we still pulled out some decent money. So don't look at how hard it was for the reward we got, think about how good it can be once we have all the pieces in the right place.

You're not wrong that the risk is higher, it definitely is, but that's the point. By facing higher risk, we can pull in much more lucrative rewards; it just requires us to be skilled at it and work with a team instead of facing no danger at all. I agree that monsters level 250+ could have their rewards raised a little, (lvl 250 should be 10000 instead of 8750, lvl 285 should be 12000 instead of 10000, lvl 400 should be at least 15000 instead of 14000) but even as is, the gold and XP are good if -we- are good. It's the only PvE that takes real skill and teamwork to get good results, and that's why I find it infinitely more fun than regular hunting.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Just found this thread and had to lol a bit.

Back in my day we hunted sea monsters and kashari war galleys for the RP reward. 10-20k in ammo just to say we did it.

Times they are a changin.
  • Can't lie, I totes found Anaria trawling the kiddie pool the other month. It was funny to watch her sink to a sea serpent. :lol:
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited August 2016
    Zulah said:
    Just found this thread and had to lol a bit.

Back in my day we hunted sea monsters and kashari war galleys for the RP reward. 10-20k in ammo just to say we did it.

Don't forget the utter fear that was brought on by 3, 4, or 5 citadels.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Or a dozen.

*daydream*
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Jonathin said:
    Zulah said:
    Just found this thread and had to lol a bit.

Don't forget the utter fear that was brought on by 3, 4, or 5 citadels.
    Good times.

And all the tritons. Never had as much fun in Achaea as I did with the Triton visits. Paying for all the ammo to sink a sea creature with no tangible reward was worth doing a dozen times when the real reward was provided via divine interaction offering rich in depth history and story lines. I still like to read through all the scrolls of Phocian princes, Scyrian Generals, Pirate slayers, legions, and notic hordes!
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Yeah, that all sounds pretty nice, but no active god of the seas.  :(

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.