Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Bring back weapon/armor augmentation

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
Normalizing low-level non-artefact gear was fundamentally a good thing for the game, given how RNG based old Forging was and how rare it was to actually receive any gear of worth. However, in this new system, the benefits for creating "premium" gear add up to no more than a few points of given stat. This lends non-artefacted fighters to pretty much having nearly the exact same resists as each other across classes, which is quite frankly, flat and boring.

What I propose is thus:

• Return the "Augment" enchantment to the Augmentation skill.
  • Rework this enchantment to take a percentage of a "bonus pool" assigned to each weapon/armor stat at its point in creation, based upon the skill (smith rating) of the smith creating it.
For example, creating a suit of fullplate as a Legendary ranked smith will result in a 52/53~ set of armor (thereabouts). Posit the bonus pool for fullplate is 10% of each stat - this means that there is 5 points in the bonus pool for each stat. What the augmentation enchantment would do is take a bunch of reagents and make a roll for improving one of the stats at the expense of lowering the others. Every point of stat modified would be drawn from the bonus pool, meaning that once a stat has been elevated beyond that stat's maximum, it will not progress any further.

Unaugmented: 52/52
Augmented: 57/47 (absolute best possible repeated augmentation rolls)

Failing an augmentation roll simply consumes the materials for the enchantment with no effect and does not damage the equipment in any way.

A good deal of depth could be introduced to Achaea's basic gearing system through this method, depending on the weighting given to stats on different pieces of gear. Obviously, speed would need to have relatively small pools given its extremely high base and influence as a stat, but having weapons that can be oriented towards harder hitting at the chance to miss seems interesting enough in its own right.

This will essentially induce variance in player-made gear as a direct result of some economical action. If this system doesn't appeal to you but the idea of gear variance does, then by all means, throw out some of your own ideas about what could be done to fix this gap, or if it's even really necessary.
Aegoth

Comments

• AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,926 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Normalisation of stats on forged items was probably the single best change made to the game since I started playing, so I'd say let's just leave it as is. I don't really see what's "flat and boring" about it and it's about a thousand times better for actually balancing combat.
    KietSobriquetExelethril
  • MatiasMatias Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    All the above would become is a comm sink as everyone just kept going to get the +5 on cutting on one set, and +5 on blunt on the other set. Remember how many rapiers were forged to get that few extra speed? Or how many fullplates were forged because the cutting stat just wasn't quite what was wanted?
  • KietKiet Member Posts: 3,263 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2016
    No thanks, Antonius's post is on point.
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Wouldn't this basically just end up giving an extra x% to the speed (or sometimes damage) of all weapons, and make weapons from low-rank smiths pretty undesirable (I'm pretty sure I remember Sarapis saying he didn't want any big advantages for legendary smiths so it wouldn't feel like a requirement)? And the same for armour, to a lesser extent. Since you aren't spending 50-200 credits for a good weapon and don't have to worry about actually being able to find one, people would just keep trying over and over until they got what they wanted, and having a fully augmented weapon would become the new standard for unartied fighters. Unless augment is prohibitively expensive to the point that you might as well just get an artefact instead.

I could see it working if there was some inherent limit so it couldn't be done repeatedly, like a rare mineral that increases weapon/armour stats (could be an ingredient for augmentation, or used while forging, or just applied to the item), possibly making the item decay faster as well so it's more temporary.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 1,818 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    To be fair, I don't think the gold/time sink in acquiring "premium" gear was that terrible of a thing, it was just the actual degree of that gold/time sink. (Forging hundreds of rapiers for RNG to deliver you one good one) Standardizing weapons and armour was good for balance and to end the disparity of Knights having to shell out for 100cr+ weapons to compete, but I do think it swung to the opposite extreme. It's good that even base-forged weapons are usable, but under the new system, the completely standard nature of weapons mean the Smithing skills are actually completely unnecessary. Very few people actually request descriptors, and since all the stats are the same, instead of buying a weapon from a player, you should buy it from the weapon gallery in Delos. Same stats, and they last 250 months instead of 60.

Honestly, the system Daeir wants is already built-in to the Forging system via the extra points from descriptors and grandmaster/legendary smith bonuses, it's just that those bonuses are only 1 point to each stat, which is completely irrelevant and I'm confused why it was added in the first place. (I assumed it was a placeholder for this very sort of change down the road.) If you changed that +1 to +3, or +5, then suddenly those descriptor bonuses actually matter, and suddenly we have a reason to
    1.  commission more than one weapon from other players to get those stats, there by making "forging orders" a thing again.
    2.  actually use descriptors, (since bonus stats only come with descriptor use) instead of just forging the cheap baseline that works just as well.
    3.  actively work toward legendary smith, since those bonuses would actually accomplish something and make your products more desirable/valuable.
    4. expect more commodity usage. Sure, you'd mostly see the cheaper descriptors used, but it'd still encourage the craft, and if folks have to use descriptors, they'd be more likely to choose ones they liked.
    Forging a few hundred rapiers in search of a "good" one was ridiculous, but I'd be completely willing to forge a dozen or so weapons to get a set with a meaningful boost in all three stats, just as the legendary smith bonuses are designed to provide.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    DaeirDochitha
Sign In to Comment.