9,400 credits alchemist or apostate

2»

Comments

• Peregrino said:
    Bashing is less demeaning if you have the scripting skills for 1-button bashing.  I got to level 100 in Aetolia pushing one button and never leaving the screen for months, it was still a little bit demeaning but I had a second monitor.
    Per HELP AUTOMATION:

What is not allowed?
    --------------------
    Auto ratting, auto fishing, auto questing, auto hunting, (and auto pretty much
    everything else). This is any activity:
      1) that you automate via triggers, and
      2) that you use to gain gold or experience.

Basically, if you can walk away from your computer and your character will go
    on without you, there's a problem.

Auto anything is a very serious violation of our rules punishable by permanent
    destruction or permanent shrubbing of the relevant adventurer.

Just don't do it! Auto rat, auto fish, auto hunting, auto ANYTHING and you can
    kiss your adventurer goodbye forever.
  • Having to press a button is definitely not the same thing as being able to walk away from your computer with your character going on without you.
  • Taeltwo said:
    Having to press a button is definitely not the same thing as being able to walk away from your computer with your character going on without you.
    The term one button bashing can certainly be ambiguous. I would say something in which you press a button and it kills the target for you would be a lot different than executing a hunting routine that clears an area for you, for instance. He was specifically referring to something that requires scripting skills so I assumed the latter.
  • Esme said:
    Taeltwo said:
    Having to press a button is definitely not the same thing as being able to walk away from your computer with your character going on without you.
    The term one button bashing can certainly be ambiguous. I would say something in which you press a button and it kills the target for you would be a lot different than executing a hunting routine that clears an area for you, for instance. He was specifically referring to something that requires scripting skills so I assumed the latter.
    Not really, since I specifically said I never left the screen.
    Murad exclaims, "I give you Questing Cats!"
  • All I do is walk anymore. Hunt variable does the rest.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Peregrino said:
    Esme said:
    Taeltwo said:
    Never leaving the screen != not having automation that would allow you to do so. In fact, having to mention you never left the screen stood out as a red flag in my mind that you might be talking about automation that would allow you to do so. If you are able to watch something on a second monitor without having to provide semi-constant attention to Achaea there really is not a huge distinction from leaving the screen anyway. (Read: if an automation is at a point where someone could do something for 5 minutes on their other display and their character will carry on for them). 5 minutes is obviously arbitrary, but if an automatically can carry on for 3 or 4 minutes it can probably carry on for longer at that point. If your hunting requires your attention at intervals (such as moving rooms) then you are perfectly fine because your character cannot continue to go on without you. There is a reason it is worded 'if your automation can carry on for you if you leave' instead of if you leave. 

I was only trying to help clarify what the rules are here. I have no idea what is or isn't permitted in Aetolia. From other threads you seem to imply you have a decent coding knowledge so I was simply trying to save you the potential future loss of your character. I wasn't trying to accuse you of breaking a rule that may or may not exist on a different game. There was ambiguity in what you originally said, after all.

• edited March 2016
    Esme said:
    Peregrino said:
    Esme said:
    Taeltwo said:
    Never leaving the screen != not having automation that would allow you to do so. In fact, having to mention you never left the screen stood out as a red flag in my mind that you might be talking about automation that would allow you to do so. If you are able to watch something on a second monitor without having to provide semi-constant attention to Achaea there really is not a huge distinction from leaving the screen anyway. (Read: if an automation is at a point where someone could do something for 5 minutes on their other display and their character will carry on for them). 5 minutes is obviously arbitrary, but if an automatically can carry on for 3 or 4 minutes it can probably carry on for longer at that point. If your hunting requires your attention at intervals (such as moving rooms) then you are perfectly fine because your character cannot continue to go on without you. There is a reason it is worded 'if your automation can carry on for you if you leave' instead of if you leave. 

I was only trying to help clarify what the rules are here. I have no idea what is or isn't permitted in Aetolia. From other threads you seem to imply you have a decent coding knowledge so I was simply trying to save you the potential future loss of your character. I wasn't trying to accuse you of breaking a rule that may or may not exist on a different game. There was ambiguity in what you originally said, after all.

I doubt it since the in-game mappers will let you walk places when you aren't at the screen, or bashing out a room you're in will let you clear that room while you're not at the screen.
  • You doubt what exactly?
  • Automation isn't the issue, it's using the automation when you aren't at your computer that will get you in trouble.

Sarapis has stated several times that they can't/won't punish people who automate things as long as they are able to pass the afk checks.

• edited March 2016
    Cooper said:
    Automation isn't the issue, it's using the automation when you aren't at your computer that will get you in trouble.

Sarapis has stated several times that they can't/won't punish people who automate things as long as they are able to pass the afk checks.
    Not passing AFK checks certainly makes sense. Ethically, I can't see a difference between leaving the computer and not paying attention to Achaea.  If you can pass AFK checks, you are paying attention to Achaea (or at the worst case cheating, but paying just enough attention or being fortunate enough to not get caught). Having automation that will continue to go on without you is treading a very thin line, though. Something could happen that could cause you to have to respond to it immediately (outside of the game). You are now breaking Sarapis' intended meaning of his rules. You could also fail to split your attention fully if you are doing something else. This is now much more of a grey area.

I would think the automation rule would be in place to prevent people from gaining without playing Achaea.  Doing something else while 'playing' Achaea can be a grey area, because if you aren't devoting an accepted minimum attention level to Achaea, you are certainly breaking the spirit of the rule still.

They should really update the help files if they are no longer what they state.  It would be better if it stated if you aren't paying attention then you are cheating. That other monitor is sounding a lot more dangerous now, though.
  • Announce 4484 kinda disagrees with you, @Cooper
  • edited March 2016
    Honestly, the rules could use a bit of an update, anyway.

It's not hard to make a single trigger that will loop your attack repeatedly. SVO has had the DOR command for what, 5 years now? In 2016, playing a text game, I don't think this should get you into trouble.

Personally, if you have a full system that can move rooms and continue to generate gold for you while you are paying 0 attention and offering no input, is where I have an issue.

I use gmcp to capture my target, and when I kill a target I refresh gmcp to get the new target. My trigger loops my attack on my target on balance using the queue system, until it gets the "you see nothing here" stuff, and then it sets the variable to false. I did this purely to ease the grind. I got tired of mashing the same button when I could just trigger it to do the same thing. I'm still here at the keyboard, and I'm still putting in commands, but according to that announce I'm technically breaking the rules. Kind of have to disagree with that ideology. At most that's what, 2 maybe 3 mobs? No different than typing TARGET UNDEAD, walking to the graveyard in Azdun and typing DOR KILL.

I don't think his post was talking about cleaning 1 room, but moreso about cleaning entire areas without you having to input anything. 200 gold isn't game breaking, but 75,000 can be.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited March 2016
    If using DOR to loop a hunting attack on an enemy until it dies is illegal automation, a huge proportion of players are in violation of it. Basically every system has something like this built into it and it's trivially easy to make a system like that, especially with the serverside queue.

And that's just hunting. Virtually no one is mass-inscribing or transmutating or whatever completely manually.
  • I turn on auto targeting, then I turn on auto hitting. Walking around, seeking targets, staying alive against difficult mobs is still manual. 
  • I figure out my hunting spot, type GOTO <SPOT> then type t <target>. I then press the F1 key everything I have balance and wait for my rage ability console to light up, at which point I will click on said ability. If the target shields, I will press F2. When the target dies, I type LOOT to grab gold, shards, iconic shards and many other outdated possible loot targets... And then find a new target.

I could automate most of that.. but at what point is the game just playing itself?

• My automation is so good I don't even need to login.
  • Amranu said:
    My automation is so good I don't even need to login.
    That's how I've felt lately.  I was going to play more but life has taken an unexpected turn as of late.
  • tbh. A knight class such as runewarden or infernal with two handed or shaman learned to jinx in curses and garon in spiritlore are said to be the best at grinding
  •             

This discussion has been closed.