PVE needs changes

124»

Comments

• By "bash about 1k times" do you mean that you have to hit something 1000 times, or kill 1000 things? Or what do you mean?
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited February 2016
    Mami said:
    Huh, am I the only one who skipped over Manara to get to lv 80s? 

I also thought part of the fun was going to an unfamiliar place just to see if I won't die so easily to the mob.
    I couldn't stand Manara tbh
    EDIT: Then again I killed one mob to get from level 8 to level 22, so...
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited February 2016
    Tristyn said:
    Sometimes, I feel like my words are being lost in translation here. Here, how should I spell it out? GDI, I -know- all the areas. I have mapper. I have mined denizen databases. But these are things -I- found and were not provided. Excuse me for trying to help newer ppl by wanting to give them other places for bashing to make the grind less boring. My argument is that Manara should not be like this gold mine for midtier bashing that it has become. Right now, to get to 60, you have to bash about 1k times. To get from 60 to 80, bashing only midtier, that jumps up to 3k. For a total of 4k. This is solo work only. (Yes, this was something I tested myself) I don't know about anyone else, but if all I knew was the manara gold mine I'd die of grinding boredom.
    Yeah, if someone is too lazy to look over any of the in-game resources or even to just google Achaea bashing then they deserve to wander Manara until they burn out.

Bashing spots aren't proprietary information, 80% of them are flat out public knowledge accessible by anyone that possesses even a shred of initiative. Someone that puts in work will get ahead of someone that doesn't, News at Eleven.
    edited February 2016
    Just going to repost this and remind everybody that this was a thing publicly posted by the administration, so yeah, bashing areas are pretty common knowledge.

EDIT: Of course, the level estimates are just a rough guide, but tyg anyway.
    Huh. Neat.
    Aepas said:
    Back in my day I ratted to level 50 because there were no maps and I was scared to leave the city because I'd get lost.

Manara was hard as hell to find because the path to granite hills is hidden, I walked around for days using the secrets command and was so excited when I found a hidden exit. 

The game is massively more accessible now, but just as well you should be willing to put some effort into the understanding of the world as a game by wandering and exploring, rather than treating it just like some mechanical database where certain commands will just give you everything on a silver platter, and then you can just script your way to level 100. Sure, you can do that, but it sure is boring.
    Script your way to mapping a non-public 400 room area. Then tell me it's boring :>
    Huh. Neat.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Aepas said:
    Back in my day I ratted to level 50 because there were no maps and I was scared to leave the city because I'd get lost.

Manara was hard as hell to find because the path to granite hills is hidden, I walked around for days using the secrets command and was so excited when I found a hidden exit. 

The game is massively more accessible now, but just as well you should be willing to put some effort into the understanding of the world as a game by wandering and exploring, rather than treating it just like some mechanical database where certain commands will just give you everything on a silver platter, and then you can just script your way to level 100. Sure, you can do that, but it sure is boring.
    I ratted to level 63. At the end of level 63, I killed Jahan, who was burrowing in the subdivisions (where I hunted) and managed to get level 64 from my very first PK. Bolded was extremely extremely true for me.

I pretty much never leveled beyond that until things got a lot more accessible by the time I got back from a dormancy. Not to be WE HAD TO WALK UPHILL IN THE SNOW BOTH WAYS type; I just think both Aepas and Tryistyn have understandable points. The question becomes: Do we want this to also become an Achaea thing, or do we want to still encourage personal exploration instead of relying on a guide? I think it could be argued both ways. I also think "we already have city org lists" (via other people in this thread) is kind of a silly reason to say no.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I still think personal exploration would be better for people because knowing how you feel about hunting specific denizens is a better guide for hunting than checking other people's list. Most of the guides I can think up depend on levels when health and more importantly, comfort, can better influence where people bash. 
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think having it all at your fingertips in a game like Aetolia works for a game like Aetolia. Smaller player base. More RP focused. Easier to get all your hunting out of the way so you can move on to the many other things Aetolia offers that aren't offered here in Achaea. I think the way Achaea does it is just fine, for anyone into exploring it's much more fun discovering things on your own. At the time I tried Lusternia, getting around and figuring it all out was a huge pain... but I generally consider that a harder game than Aetolia or Achaea anyways. As far as exploring goes, I think Achaea is a happy middle ground... not as difficult as Lusternia, not as easy (exploration wise) as Aetolia. Also, with the smaller player base in Aetolia, it's easier to get hunting grounds to yourself. In Achaea, even having all that knowledge, there's still a lot more people out there hunting, and people do get into routines of having places they prefer regardless of knowing a bunch of other areas they COULD hunt. 
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    During my time in Lusternia it had so many different facets to the game play, I just found it overly complex and not a smooth transition to get into after playing Achaea and Aetolia. Just because maybe you had an easy transition doesn't mean everyone else always does. Also take into consideration Achaea was my first MUD ever and I tried Lusternia maybe a few months after starting Achaea, which I had not entirely figured everything out here, so trying out Lusternia seemed like a massive undertaking.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• The walk to system could definitely use some expanding to be more like a clientside mapper, but other than that I'm not really sure we need all the other things Aetolia has. Half of Aetolia's features are because it's hard to find people that are online/not afk in your orgs sometimes.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I do try to avoid making generalizations and armchair analyses about games I don't play, but I have to agree with Kiet's sentiment, there. A fair few of the other games' conveniences seem like they are intended to compensate for, or are justified by, those games' comparatively tiny playerbases.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I went to look at the directory for the first time, and realized that there's no client side RF (room find) function, which makes using the directory a bit weird while your still unfamiliar with shop locations. And when you get familiar with shop locations, your probably fairly familiar with what they stock. 
  • With regards to monk hunting - I will change to Magi if I ever want effective hunting. Although I DO have 11 str as a monk... But even if I got +3 str gauntlets for above average damage, Magi > Monk for DPS and tanking, IMO.

Just my two cents
  • Yeah, monk bashing is pretty underwhelming right now. Arties help, but not much. After lvl 80, it's a bit better, but before that is bad. 
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• edited February 2016
    The Reckoning event had awesome pve/pvp. Challenging Boss fights with quests to support them, insane grind against difficult mobs, team fights, high lvl and low lvl areas that both contribute to the end goal.

Gief more reckoning events.
  • Do knuckles increase punch damage against denizens?
  • Antonius said:
    Do knuckles increase punch damage against denizens?
    They're meant to, but last I heard they were bugged so they do nothing against denizens (it might just be specific people and not all knuckles).
  • They actually were working. What made me think they weren't working was that they worked whether worn or removed. There was no damage difference unless you either dropped the knuckles or put them into a container for testing purposes. Thanks, Tecton, for helping to debug!
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    So I read most of this thread but I think battlerage is about as far group oriented as pve needs to get without some major reworks or other gold incentives. I know some people love group bashing but the gold /time reward is already so slow I don't want to drag around 5 people searching for a worthwhile place (it's hard enough to find one right now)
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Greys said:
    You want to do large, specialized group PVE? Thats what the seamonsters are for.
    And it's not easy...