PVE needs changes

Comments

• Ahmet said:
    Aepas said:
    Omor said:
    Antonius said:
    Also not good for much. No support, can't tank for extended periods, can't heal others and the DPS is apparently garbage.
    Ahh, someone who doesn't know what we can do. :) Cute. 

*Aepas Response: We're talking about PVE. Monks are useless, maybe they have some interesting battlerage abilities but I don't know. 
    Uh, vitality + weathering + toughness + transmute hello?
    All rather useless if you can't kill the mob before having to lean on trans/vitality.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I have tried all the classes with nuts to find a faster and safer way to hunt to dragon, the ones I'm allowed to take faction wise. I'm not sure if binding chopsticks to my fingers to type would be worse than the speed of monk hunting. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Infernal was godly to hunt with. Dunno if it is nostalgia or what, but I remember it being awesome. Even more so than Runie.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Monks get wonky battlerage stuff.

Clumsy and Inhibit.

Whilst clumsy is actually a godsend and, actually pretty fun to use... I have legitimately never used inhibit except by accident.

No monsters that I fight, currently, resorts to healing itself instead of blasting your face off.  Sensitive would increase my damage, Weaken would make them not hit me as hard... Inhibit as a status effect for BR seems like it's meant for late game battles against denizens that ultimately heal themself.. and ultimately, at end game, you won't be in lesser form hunting because Dragon provides more survivability (and more battlerage abilities that you might not have had before)...

Inhibit's about as useful as FEARED, except feared just seems a little worse unless you're doing city raids.  Maybe.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Frederich said:
    Monks get wonky battlerage stuff.

Clumsy and Inhibit.

Whilst clumsy is actually a godsend and, actually pretty fun to use... I have legitimately never used inhibit except by accident.

No monsters that I fight, currently, resorts to healing itself instead of blasting your face off.  Sensitive would increase my damage, Weaken would make them not hit me as hard... Inhibit as a status effect for BR seems like it's meant for late game battles against denizens that ultimately heal themself.. and ultimately, at end game, you won't be in lesser form hunting because Dragon provides more survivability (and more battlerage abilities that you might not have had before)...

Inhibit's about as useful as FEARED, except feared just seems a little worse unless you're doing city raids.  Maybe.
    Inhibit not helpful until you come across LHG crystal tats.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Cooper said:
    Should really only ever be using the damage battlerages solo. The affliction ones are (generally) only good for groups.
    This is absolutely true. If you're alone, or even with one other person, it's generally not worth it to use the affliction abilities (unless it's sensitivity). Provided, of course, that you and the other person can already tank the area well enough to clear it quickly. Usually a waste of your battlerage.

Also, make sure you're using your battlerage immediately when 1: it is available, and 2: you have the rage to use the ability. If you're waiting to send it with your attack, you're losing DPS.

I personally don't use any battlerage on a mob that is under 15% health (if my health is above 30%). Reason for this is that I start saving my battlerage for the next mob, and normally can finish the original mob in the next two balances. This also have saved me from over-critting a lot since implemented.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Cooper said:
    Should really only ever be using the damage battlerages solo. The affliction ones are (generally) only good for groups.
    Utter bollocks. Respectfully, I disagree. If you have a way to slow their attacks (stun / amnesia / clumsiness), you should be using those solo against larger, more dangerous mobs.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • You shouldn't regularly be bashing mobs that large, though if there's like a boss mob or something sure.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I dunno, I'd consider Xu on Prin to be that way. When I'm hunting through the village, I tend to save up my rage so I can focus on Xu and get him down asap. With the two other guards in the room, you can pretty easily get stunned down to near death otherwise when RNG isn't on your side.

I never really bother with battlerage afflictions beyond that one scenario. I have my two damage attacks bound to macros that are super easy to hit as they become available for use.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    I dunno, I'd consider Xu on Prin to be that way. When I'm hunting through the village, I tend to save up my rage so I can focus on Xu and get him down asap. With the two other guards in the room, you can pretty easily get stunned down to near death otherwise when RNG isn't on your side.
    You mean Krui? Xu's room isn't that hard.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kiet said:
    You shouldn't regularly be bashing mobs that large, though if there's like a boss mob or something sure.
    Depends on your class. If you're not a tanky class, there are more mobs that fit into that category. Plus, most people who say "bashing is boring" just loop easy brainless routes where it is boring, I keep things interesting by going up against larger, more dangerous mobs. I also use rage pretty constantly, and not automated, only "banking" it for things like the Catacombs bosses who can't be critted (clumsiness is awesome against them), and having 200 rage before you run into them is plenty.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Tbh I don't bash to be entertained so our viewpoints are gonna be different by default.
  • IMO, Monk isn't the fastest basher, but between vit/weathering/toughness/trans, and the fact that I'm a STR spec horkval, I may not bash as fast as everyone else, but I'm fairly confident that unless I'm simply not paying attention I won't die to a mob and I hit pretty hard between combo/sbp/tnk.
    However, I will concede that rpst is practically useless, and I wouldn't shed a single tear if it was removed.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • After playing Aetolia for awhile now and end gaming in literally no time, I'll say the PvE is a lot more enjoyable there because of the Area/survey/path find commands. You can actually find places without having to build extensive maps, having to rely on walk to (mob #) based on mob lists, or relying on the knowledge of some old ass player who offers fricking Manara as a good hunting spot. Also they have a lot more easily accessible mid-level zones that don't get over crowded, give reasonable amounts of exp, and repop quicker. 

If PvE is not something of focus here, then make it less of a chore to actually get places or at least have more updated hunting lists.

Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • Tristyn said:
    After playing Aetolia for awhile now and end gaming in literally no time, I'll say the PvE is a lot more enjoyable there because of the Area/survey/path find commands. You can actually find places without having to build extensive maps, having to rely on walk to (mob #) based on mob lists, or relying on the knowledge of some old ass player who offers fricking Manara as a good hunting spot. Also they have a lot more easily accessible mid-level zones that don't get over crowded, give reasonable amounts of exp, and repop quicker. 

If PvE is not something of focus here, then make it less of a chore to actually get places or at least have more updated hunting lists.

Bolded would be for houses or cities to deal with. Having said that, at your level manara IS still good. You could try the goblin village, upper azdun or kasmarkin too.

The repop times on most places here is completely acceptable, you wont finish manara before it restarts popping. You wont get more than two, maybe three places finished before they're all coming back.

AFAIK they are looking at making the walk to <place> system more robust, but you can always ask a citymate to show you, then mark your favourite areas with personal landmarks.

I've not played Aetolia, but I hear the population is much smaller, and this likely leads to much less competition for hunting areas, meanwhile area creation still takes just as much effort, so to scale the amount of areas based off of average adventures present would be a massive amount of extra workload for the Achaean staff.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with relying on the knowledge of your citymates, even if they are an "old ass player". Never know, you might even end up asking a dragon like @Xaden to take you out and show you some spots.
  • edited February 2016
    First this character is not my bashing character, it's my rp character. Second, I know where the places are for my level. I have every single mob list for every single zone with their numbers. But it is ridiculous that I have to rely on that. New people will not have that information.
    Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • I've been playing this game for 15+ years and I've never once used a "mob list" or "mob number" to bash. If you are relying on that, you are doing it wrong.

You also don't have to build extensive maps. There are IG maps, and easily accessible 99.99% of the game maps available.

You're also off base having to "rely on the knowledge of some old ass player", as there are several hunting lists available to most house/cities, and there is one on the forums as well.

• I really dislike people that disagree just to say I've been doing this for so many years it should just stay the same. 

First, knowing the number of mobs is the easy way to check if the area has been bashed out or not. You can easily set up an alias/script to ping each area without having to go there unless the mob is there.

Second, the method I'm recommending gives the player the option of having to know nothing about the geography of the game and just being able to bash right away. I could just walk into Aetolia and just start exploring/hunting. This way they don't need to rely on information off game or the forums.

I'm not saying Achaea is terrible, I'm just saying it could be easier for new people to get to places.

• I'm curious, how do you bash in Aetolia without knowing anything about the areas/their difficulty/what mobs are there?
  • edited February 2016
    Areas command gives a list of the number of the areas and the suggested level to hunt there. You can just path find (area number) and path go.

Also, if you're wandering around, you can type survey at any time and it will give you the recommended level for hunting there.
  • Now that it's known people use mob numbers to check to see if they are alive or dead, I'm fairly sure that will be evaluated to be changed. That's pretty blatant abuse of mechanics.

Second, you can walk into Achaea and just bash straight away too. The information is accessible in game. Should you choose to ignore your city and house, no one is going to feel bad for you. That's your problem, not a problem with the game. To add onto that, I disagree entirely with the principal of your argument, that you should be able to start a new character and bash to end game without talking to anyone, reading help files, or looking at the forums. That is wrong and not the direction we want to go.

To be pretty blunt here, we don't want the type of player that you seem to want to be, at least on your "bashing character". We don't want someone who is going to create a character and then expect to be hand fed information on bashing so they can ignore every bit of player interaction and not have to learn anything about the game in order to progress.

Tristyn said:
    I really dislike people that disagree just to say I've been doing this for so many years it should just stay the same. 

First, knowing the number of mobs is the easy way to check if the area has been bashed out or not. You can easily set up an alias/script to ping each area without having to go there unless the mob is there.

Second, the method I'm recommending gives the player the option of having to know nothing about the geography of the game and just being able to bash right away. I could just walk into Aetolia and just start exploring/hunting. This way they don't need to rely on information off game or the forums.

I'm not saying Achaea is terrible, I'm just saying it could be easier for new people to get to places.

I mean you can WALK TO just about anywhere.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think the way things are now makes exploring and exploration ranks a lot more exciting than if we had a list on hand right from the get go.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Cooper said:
    Now that it's known people use mob numbers to check to see if they are alive or dead, I'm fairly sure that will be evaluated to be changed. That's pretty blatant abuse of mechanics.
    It's been known for a long time, I asked about it a while back. The only objection to it was checking a lot of denizens at once, because of the load it would add.
    edited February 2016
    Sena said:
    Cooper said:
    Now that it's known people use mob numbers to check to see if they are alive or dead, I'm fairly sure that will be evaluated to be changed. That's pretty blatant abuse of mechanics.
    It's been known for a long time, I asked about it a while back. The only objection to it was checking a lot of denizens at once, because of the load it would add.
    Try WALK TO 30030
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited February 2016
    Lol. I'm not sure what's wrong with you, Cooper, but you're acting as if I committed a terrible crime by suggesting an implementation of something already provided in another IRE. (I admit, maybe I came off sounding strong, but sticking fingers in your ears screaming nonono is not going to make me any less annoyed.) Basically walk to room# instead of walk to mob# is all it is, something that mapper already supplies with its goto room# command. (If that's lazy or too 'Omg, going to hell in a handbasket' then stop using mapper.) Yeah, it would probably be a pain in the ass to implement, it's just an idea. Breathe.

Also, all I'm asking is that something like this:http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/3139/bashing-areas/p1 be more available to new people so they quit bottle necking manara or the goblin village because that's more or less the suggested goto for solo mid level bashing because the quantity of repop mobs. Don't pretend everybody and their brother doesn't tell their novices "bash manara till certain lvl". Which is nice until there are a dozen mid levels there scrambling and one asshole 80+ that clears it in seconds flat.
  • In my experience, most of those 20-40 places would kill almost all level 40 people, especially the ones that need to be told where to go. Manara is big enough to share, if you don't feel like you are getting a good enough go of it, feel free to go elsewhere.
  • edited February 2016
    Sometimes, I feel like my words are being lost in translation here. Here, how should I spell it out? GDI, I -know- all the areas. I have mapper. I have mined denizen databases. But these are things -I- found and were not provided. Excuse me for trying to help newer ppl by wanting to give them other places for bashing to make the grind less boring. My argument is that Manara should not be like this gold mine for midtier bashing that it has become. Right now, to get to 60, you have to bash about 1k times. To get from 60 to 80, bashing only midtier, that jumps up to 3k. For a total of 4k. This is solo work only. (Yes, this was something I tested myself) I don't know about anyone else, but if all I knew was the manara gold mine I'd die of grinding boredom.
  • Huh, am I the only one who skipped over Manara to get to lv 80s? 

I also thought part of the fun was going to an unfamiliar place just to see if I won't die so easily to the mob.