PVE needs changes

Comments

• Leave it to a Cyrenian to be a privileged, snobby asshole about PvE, of all things
  • You might try a game called World of Warcraft. It's exactly what you're asking Achaea to be.

• TL;DR the other posts. However I'd like to add that at least some bit of what the OP said (Tanks and casters) is being done on another MUD that I've played before in the form of rows.

What they do is that everyone in the front row of a party gets the bulk of the damage, with some mobs being able to hit the back row so casters/healers are not always safe. This could be worth looking into if they ever decide to add to the current PVE system.

That being said, I don't see an urgent need to change the PVE aspects of the game.
  • Jemaine said:
    I've never been on a group hunt anywhere that had to have a leader say ok you need to use this affliction and soandso will use this ability etc. so we can work together to clear this area or we will all get dropped.
    It happened plenty in the Sargassum event when taking down the bosses, and a little in Ashtan's renaissance event (fighting the Spawn, though it was mostly just amnesia that was useful from what I saw).
  • Aegoth said:
    Leave it to a Cyrenian to be a privileged, snobby asshole about PvE, of all things
    Someone get me a to-go box, this is way too rich to finish in one sitting.

• edited February 2016
    Kiet said:
    The battlerage aff combos (like, does extra damage if has x aff, which another class usually has to bring) do a lot of damage per rage spent, so that's a decent incentive.
    The typical payoff for using the combos the way a lot of people do isn't actually that large, especially given that they consume the debuffs. While it's a good damage per rage for the person using the detonator, it's not very good damage per rage for the two of you combined.

If, however, you time it correctly so you get almost the full duration of the debuff and the detonation, then it becomes really worthwhile.
  • A good way to make bashing interesting is to jump someone who is bashing, then go bashing.
    Murad exclaims, "I give you Questing Cats!"
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Peregrino said:
    A good way to make bashing interesting is to jump someone who is bashing, then go bashing.
    Accumulate six contracts on you, and then go hunting.
    Huh. Neat.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited February 2016
    Nothing quite like bashing and knowing you can be jumped at any time and have to switch gears, especially if hunting with a friend. I.E. Annwyn/Underworld, or certain events that are hosted on occasion.

While I wouldn't have it that way every time I bash, for stretches it can be pretty fun.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Peregrino said:
    A good way to make bashing interesting is to jump someone who is bashing, then go bashing.
    Bash Annwyn, I'll make it interesting for ya!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Gonna point out that PvE is very much a requirement for PvP. Try tanking PvP damage sub lvl 83, or sub 4400hp. It isn't going to work very well. I'm writing this as on the other screen, I'm sitting somewhere hitting a lizard over and over and over and over. I hate bashing in this game. It's the most mind-numbing, boring non-activity that's ever been devised. But I HAVE to do it to progress in PvP, the thing I actually like.
  • @Elowin raids got me through the 80s up to 95 :) it's fun even with deaths.
  • I prefer the mindlessness. So I don't need to pay much attention to the actual hunting and can focus on trolling in clans while doing so. The grind is a downtime filler, where otherwise you'd likely be staring at your timeout warnings and waiting for something else to happen.

• Mami said:
    @Elowin raids got me through the 80s up to 95 :) it's fun even with deaths.
    Only viable for certain classes
  • Mami said:
    @Elowin raids got me through the 80s up to 95 :) it's fun even with deaths.
    I'm a rogue BM. Even when I join raids, it's... a lot of sitting around while other classes use their LoS and bows.
  • You're raiding with the wrong people.
  • 95% of my exp in game came from PVP. I hate PVE. It is boring. But I don't want what the OP wants. I would hate that even worse. And I don't understand or use battlerage right, I just doublewhirl until things are dead. (I know I am doing it wrong but my brain just doesn't work with PVE).
  • Aepas said:
    [..]

DPS = serpent, they're pretty insane (some other classes get high dps too, but serpents usually the best)

Tanks = Dragon, knights(defend is amazing), Runewarden (so many runes)

healers = Sylvan, Druid, Priest, Paladin, Jester, Occultist (Tarot, hands, vigour)

Support= Serpent, bard, apostate. (yank, harmonics, fury)

[..]
    Monks exist too. :( We're just scarce.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Also not good for much. No support, can't tank for extended periods, can't heal others and the DPS is apparently garbage.
  • Antonius said:
    Also not good for much. No support, can't tank for extended periods, can't heal others and the DPS is apparently garbage.
    Ahh, someone who doesn't know what we can do. :) Cute. 
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Uh, it's not like monk's pve ability is secretive or complicated
  • Omor said:
    Antonius said:
    Also not good for much. No support, can't tank for extended periods, can't heal others and the DPS is apparently garbage.
    Ahh, someone who thinks monks can do more than they can. :) Cute.

• Omor said:
    Antonius said:

*Aepas Response: We're talking about PVE. Monks are useless, maybe they have some interesting battlerage abilities but I don't know. 
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited February 2016
    This'll be a bit tangential but most of the forms of PvP encouragement only apply to people with high levels and might.  Like @Elowin said it makes things kind of grueling when you have to bash boring gnolls and villagers for a long time before you can get going.

What I think would really benefit the game was mechanics to get lower might and lower level people to fight each other, somewhat exclusively (obviously not totally exclusive since then you wouldn't buy more credits).

Back when I was hardcore, I highlighted the room names of all the bashing areas (villages) I was defending.  I would check "who" now and then with thirdeye and jump people who were bashing there.  No one ever appreciated it but I think it's an option; problem is that most people lack my borderline-frenetic levels of initiative and will never do something like that.  Something similar could probably be coded in fairly easily though and once that's done, the reward for bashing those areas could be increased and the "defenders" could have maximum might levels involved either strictly or in terms of the possible rewards.

So then, let's say you want level 83 or so for the main PvP game.  You can bash more dangerous areas for less time and do a lower level PvP game while working your way up there.
  • I sob every time I see a runewarden my level capable of soloing fire wyrms without fleeing like I do.

They don't even have artefacts.  They just flat out solo it 5x better than I can because #DamageReductionOutTheAss
  • Pay a runewarden to stand in the room with you, not following but just defending. They take all the damage you get all the XP. 

Selling my body for 500 sovereigns a day. 
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    Pay a runewarden to stand in the room with you, not following but just defending. They take all the damage you get all the XP. 

Selling my body for 500 sovereigns a day. 
    I can't even tell if that's a joke or not.  I'd buy it though.
  • I'm thinking of paying people to let me puppet leech them, but I don't have any gold.  Maybe I should take up some trade skills and open a shop somewhere.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Aepas said:
    Omor said:
    Antonius said:

*Aepas Response: We're talking about PVE. Monks are useless, maybe they have some interesting battlerage abilities but I don't know. 
    Uh, vitality + weathering + toughness + transmute hello?
    Huh. Neat.