Grammar Pet Peeves

Comments

• How about grammatical errors that people actually like?

I, personally, love to use 'good people' when referring to a particular person. 

e.g. I like @Tesha, she's good people.

He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I use a lot of malapropisms in real life, especially with my children. Doesn't go down so well when presenting quarterly performance reports with finance directors though...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Antidas said:
    Aegoth said:
    Krypton said:
    But do not be dismayed!

We might get a U.S. President who doesn't even know what adjectives are!

That's the fault of his PR manager. Bernie's not sitting at his computer tweeting this shit, as much as people may want to believe
    I'm glad someone said it before I did. Also, rather have a president who accidentally calls something an adjective that isn't than a president who's a raving lunatic and better suited for a reality TV show than political office! I'll give you all two guesses as to who I'm referring to ;)
    Uh.... Ben Carson? Uh... Ted Cruz? Uh... All of them?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Xaden said:
    How about grammatical errors that people actually like?
    I love to use the word funner. Why? Because saying 'funner' is funner than saying 'more fun'.
  • This thread is testament to why we should strive to communicate only via Twitch emotes and memes.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    This thread is testament to why we should strive to communicate only via Twitch emotes and memes.
    :kappa: ?

• I am bad, and should feel bad. English is not my first language, and sometimes I use incorrect words, or words on the wrong place. Typically it is when my internal translator has failed me, and I need to use an external one. I try very hard to be good, even if I am a bit slow on the speaking or emote times.

I have personally taken to (emote:san) at anyone altering their text with apostrophes and dropped or replaced  letters on purpose instead of the accent or voice feature. I have learned quickly that these do not go though the internal or external translator at all. They leave me feeling lost and confused, and quite frankly, unwelcome.

I do not have a firm enough grasp on the English language to put your 'speech' puzzle together and understand it. I have also learned that people get truly offended if you ask them to repeat it because you do not understand. One person went direct to //ooc: to cuss me out and to tell me where I can stick my opinion for rp, when all I asked for was a translation of what she just said, as I can not understand.
    Torinn Chiragh, Herald of Fire says, "Good, darn it."
    Talamond Averial says, "You are the least charming siren ever."
  • KezKez
    edited March 2016
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Lots of people who speak english as a first language are annoyed by those accents as well, but I for one have never even considered the effects on esl. What's maddening about that is there's a feature in achaea to make it completely unnecessary to do that. Next time someone cusses you out, maybe you can counter with this announce post.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2532                                     (07/10/2007 at 12:03)  
    From   : Clementius, the Weaver
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: VOICE/ACCENT - yet another tool in the RP-er's arsenal
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You enjoyed EXPRESSIVENESS, you lauded LANGUAGES,
    You exercised EMOTICONS, and now for the next step:

VOICE or ACCENT!

It's all in HELP 5.21. It's all about how you speak.
    Pick one - either a voice or an accent - and wow your
    pals.

Let's see if we can stop all those people who go on and
    on with completely incomprehensible accents! Well, OK, not
    much hope of that, but at least there is a more reasonable
    way to represent that now.

SET ACCENT High Immortal

SAY Salutations

You say with a High Immortal accent, "Salutations."

The possibilities are endless, within the reasonable limits
    of 3 words, 30 characters, language rules, common sense,
    and the realisation that everybody is watching!

Penned by my hand on the 4th of Aeguary, in the year 455 AF.
  • I tend to just ignore and try not to talk to people who talk in an accent (read: Dwarfspeak).
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Matias said:
    I tend to just ignore and try not to talk to people who talk in an accent (read: Dwarfspeak).
    ^^
    Huh. Neat.
  • I had to look up half of those worlds.  :o
  • That's a really strange usage of "contemporary". And can you really "accomplish" a "necessity"?

Which maybe highlights the larger problem - using big words is fine; using a thesaurus to replace a word with a bigger words that isn't part of your normal vocabulary is perilous.

After spending several years tutoring and then grading college writing, I think burning all of the thesauruses would lead to real improvement.
  • Kayeil said:
    Saw this and it reminded me of this thread.

Disagree. That's utterly lazy, and an insult to language. 
  • Matias said:
    I tend to just ignore and try not to talk to people who talk in an accent (read: Dwarfspeak).
    Suppose I need to just let the accent stuff talk for Borre then. Instead of talking all deep southern backwoodsy. :anguished: 

• Borre said:
    Matias said:
    Suppose I need to just let the accent stuff talk for Borre then. Instead of talking all deep southern backwoodsy. :anguished: 

Please!!
  • edited March 2016
    Working accents into your in-game speech is the only pet peeve in this category I have. No one cares about how dwarven you think you sound and it's just more effort to translate than it's worth imo. Yelling at someone for not getting it is profoundly ridiculous, too, and it shows a hyper-defensiveness that comes from people probably repeatedly telling them to cut out the annoying accent.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I actually enjoy people who put the effort to speak with an accent in-game nowadays, though there was a period where I used to hate it.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited March 2016
    haha that one has to have been a troll though

Right? :(
  • Why do that :(
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Would like a log of this oathsaying