In Memoriam

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Doesn't retirement mean a player isn't permanently leaving? Maybe they have every intention of reconnecting with the players they don't say bye to, in another character's life
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited February 2016
    Retirement basically means you can't ever come back on that character again. It's suiciding except not because you're transferring OOC assets to an OOC pool so you can reroll an entirely different and new character. Even if you 'reconnect' with your old friends (which kinda defeats half the purpose of retirement), your experiences with that old character can't be equated to this 18 year old supernoob saying "Hi it's me again".

Mind you, I'm talking about characters who basically just went dormant, not like, people who destroyed their character with social and political scandals. Even if you have lost interest in playing that old character, it doesn't change the fact that you played that role for long enough and invested enough to form bonds with other people. Especially if it's an Order. I think just throwing that away without a word is terribly dismissive of those relationships and the people who cared about that character and always looked back with fondness on those interactions. Did all those experiences mean nothing to them? I dunno really. 

• Skye said:
    Retirement basically means you can't ever come back on that character again. It's suiciding except not because you're transferring OOC assets to an OOC pool so you can reroll an entirely different and new character. Even if you 'reconnect' with your old friends (which kinda defeats half the purpose of retirement), your experiences with that old character can't be equated to this 18 year old supernoob saying "Hi it's me again".

Mind you, I'm talking about characters who basically just went dormant, not like, people who destroyed their character with social and political scandals. Even if you have lost interest in playing that old character, it doesn't change the fact that you played that role for long enough and invested enough to form bonds with other people. Especially if it's an Order. I think just throwing that away without a word is terribly dismissive of those relationships and the people who cared about that character and always looked back with fondness on those interactions. Did all those experiences mean nothing to them? I dunno really. 

When a character has gone dormant for months and/or years, I see it like a job or a social group you once partook within. Does anyone reach out to the people they used to be co-workers with or used to socialize in the club with when they move to another location too distant to ever personally interact with them? 

I wouldn't consider it as saying those interactions are not meaningful, but when someone has moved on with their life and those old interactions are no longer a part of them, they owe nothing to their old counterparts. It would be like throwing a 'going-away' party and inviting people they haven't talked to in years. It usually is awkward, both parties have moved on, and the nostalgia, while good memories, is short-lived. 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Israyhl said:
    Skye said:

When a character has gone dormant for months and/or years, I see it like a job or a social group you once partook within. Does anyone reach out to the people they used to be co-workers with or used to socialize in the club with when they move to another location too distant to ever personally interact with them? 

I wouldn't consider it as saying those interactions are not meaningful, but when someone has moved on with their life and those old interactions are no longer a part of them, they owe nothing to their old counterparts. It would be like throwing a 'going-away' party and inviting people they haven't talked to in years. It usually is awkward, both parties have moved on, and the nostalgia, while good memories, is short-lived. 
    Usually the people who are missed like that aren't co-workers though, they're people who were meaningful in your social circle who very literally disappeared to say... raise a family, find a career, chased a boy/girl, whatever. And yes, in real life, you do have people in real life who leave your circle very suddenly whom you miss and wish they would have at least said good-bye.

Sure, you move on, just as we all do here, but that doesn't mean it doesn't niggle at your subconscious for the rest of forever. I have real friends who did that and it still bothers me this many years later. I don't think it's crazy to think some text-ships meant something more than just that random co-worker you said good morning to every day.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Hate the sin, not the sinner.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    It IS an honours line, so even if the mechanic itself is mostly OOC-focused, characters will know about it, so I imagine it's a finality without closure. The other, at least, leaves room for doubt.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Or with closure. "Left the adventurering life? Definitely not going to see them again."
  • I will say that I didn't realize how many of my old friends were still playing when I came back. And If I was coming back just because of retirement, I would have missed a TON of people in my goodbyes because I didn't realize they were still active and/or cared.
  • RIP Aegoth. Forever mourned
  • Aegoth said:
    RIP Aegoth. Forever mourned
    Too bad you're way too in love with holocaust bombs and Aegoth's notability of using said talent for me to believe this.
  • Hyperlith said:
    Xinna said:
    ...when I stopped playing Terra...

Mind. Blown.
    Bro what fucking rock have you been under lol
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Jinsun said:
    Hyperlith said:
    Xinna said:

Mind. Blown.
    Bro what fucking rock have you been under lol
    Would you care if I told you?

• To be honest, only in a few places in the forums was that ever mentioned, so it's excusable.
  • edited May 2016
    Dannyl (male Black Dragon).
    He is 282 years old, having been born on the 13th of Lupar, 431 years after the fall of the 
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He has given up the adventuring life.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is a Sentry in Targossas.
    He is a Conscript in the army of Targossas.
    He is considered to be approximately 85% of your might.
    He is an Effulgent Prayer in the Divine Order of Aurora, the Lightbringer.
    He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.
    He bears the arms: Argent, a wyvern displayed sinister base Vert and a staff dexter chief Sable.
    See HONOURS DEEDS DANNYL to view his 12 special honours.

• Personally, when I retired mine I did not say who I would become or where I would be going because I did not want to get bugged from my previous characters and any drama that came with them. 

However that does not mean that I did not say goodbye to any one. I believe a few people received some form of a goodbye, there are still some individuals that I still speak to on an insanely basis, but strictly speaking I tend to follow what Ailea is doing at this point. 

• Oh wow really?  The only two people who were around and talkative when I bothered to log in.  :(   Godspeed @Dredrith, and @Zaeka
  • Goodnight, Carmain.
  • Hyperlith said:
    Xinna said:

Mind. Blown.
    You know Saltaern and Tenebrus were the same person, right? Right..?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I miss Saltybrus/Tenetaern.

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Sobriquet said:
    Hyperlith said:
    Xinna said:

Mind. Blown.
    You know Saltaern and Tenebrus were the same person, right? Right..?
    Yus -- and he had another (well-known) alt too, I thought. :astonished:

• Anedhel?! 
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Fuck you, @Anedhel </3
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.