9,400 credits alchemist or apostate

Whenever the name of my suicided character opens up I'm leaning towards making an alchemist.  I was also thinking about blademaster but I'm reading they suck at bashing and raids and I don't see myself trolling for too much PvP, I want to play in Mhaldor and I don't want to be a monk, so alchemist or maybe apostate seems like the best choice right now.

So imagine you had 9,400 credits and a lesson pack and were going to make an alchemist or apostate.  You want to do a bit of everything.  Which race and artifacts would you choose and why?

I'm imagining that if alchemists have some kind of travel ability then I won't need wings, and if I choose atavian as a race and do constitution spec and try to kill mainly through afflictions, I don't need a flight ring or damage-dealing artifacts and can focus more on defense and utility.
Murad exclaims, "I give you Questing Cats!"

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited February 2016
    The ring of flying allows you to regain balance from flying faster than the atavian racial wings. I am Atavian myself and still love my ring. Also, alchemist travel ability doesn't even begin to compare with the awesomeness that is artie wings.

I'll leave the rest to someone else.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• You wouldn't be happy as a BM, trust me.

Apostate has massive utility, defense, afflictions, and is strong both in groups and solo.

No one knows what alch does so there won't be much info on that.

• edited February 2016
    Shirszae said:
    The ring of flying allows you to regain balance from flying faster than the atavian racial wings. I am Atavian myself and still love my ring. Also, alchemist travel ability doesn't even begin to compare with the awesomeness that is artie wings.

I'll leave the rest to someone else.
    I remember that now, I figured someone would have nerfed that already!Cooper said:
    You wouldn't be happy as a BM, trust me.

Apostate has massive utility, defense, afflictions, and is strong both in groups and solo.

No one knows what alch does so there won't be much info on that.
    My current character (Peregrino) is a BM and I didn't stay interested in the game with him... figured it was worth reading up on but it doesn't seem like it's improved much outside of PvP.

Are there exits from the inferno that can help decrease the need for eagle's wings? I think one of the games had that.
  • edited February 2016
    Neither apostate nor alchemist have much in the way of travel. I'm curious why only those two classes, though, you made it sound like it was obvious that it's either monk, apostate, or alchemist for Mhaldor. Mhaldor allows a lot more classes than that!

People do know what alch does by now, though. Alch has some good group utility in rezzing/formulation/displace + strong melee with other afflicters. Apostate is generally better in groups though, simply because beckon, soulspears, blackwind, and afflicting power that combos even better with groups because of more flexibility.

For bashing, alchemist is going to be slightly better because of nice tankiness + crit bonus, I believe, but I'm no expert on bashing. The problem with both these classes is they want to be nimble for pvp and quick-witted for pve, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Neither class needs any offensive arties, so I'd just get wings and then a bunch of defensive stuff.
  • edited February 2016
    Kiet said:
    Neither apostate nor alchemist have much in the way of travel. I'm curious why only those two classes, though, you made it sound like it was obvious that it's either monk, apostate, or alchemist for Mhaldor. Mhaldor allows a lot more classes than that!

People do know what alch does by now, though. Alch has some good group utility in rezzing/formulation/displace + strong melee with other afflicters. Apostate is generally better in groups though, simply because beckon, soulspears, blackwind, and afflicting power that combos even better with groups because of more flexibility.

For bashing, alchemist is going to be slightly better because of nice tankiness + crit bonus, I believe, but I'm no expert on bashing. The problem with both these classes is they want to be nimble for pvp and quick-witted for pve, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Neither class needs any offensive arties, so I'd just get wings and then a bunch of defensive stuff.
    Well, I don't want to be a serpent or a knight as well as a monk or BM and I think other classes are limited to other cities?

Also, what is nimble and quick witted?

Edit: There's also shaman/jester but I tend to lag when I'm in Taiwan and shaman combat sounds very fast.  I figure I might get away with a slower class.
  • No, there's a lot more classes than that.

Mhaldor-available classes: monk, runewarden, infernal, blademaster, serpent, monk, alchemist, apostate, jester, shaman, bard, mage.
  • Well, I just like those two classes really.  Sort of like shaman but I don't see it working out in the long-term.
  • That's fine! Was just making sure you knew you had more options than those. Both those options are nice, as I said.
  • Okay so I read about traits.  If an apostate wants quick witted for bashing, that means they bash with decay and not with evileye bleed?
  • Yes, evileye bashing is terrible
  • I think apostate is the one of the strongest classes on your list (and in general). They don't really have any offensive artefacts, so you can use all your credits for defensive ones instead. Infernal is really strong too.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited February 2016
    Apostate with max defensive arties is a nightmare. 10/10 recommend if you can deal with the grind of hunting to Dragon.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Abostate is best class Achlaea

• But seriously. . It's super fun.

• Saeva said:
    Abostate is best class Achlaea
    Abosstate?
  • Atalkez said:
    Apostate with max defensive arties is a nightmare. 10/10 recommend if you can deal with the grind of hunting to Dragon.
    Seriously, all you have to do is take a look at when Carmain used to solo-raid the shit out of Eleusis and come out ahead.

(Mhaldor): Carmain says, "I outnumber them one to ten."

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Peregrino said:
    Saeva said:
    Abostate is best class Achlaea
    Abosstate?
    Asspotato.

Welcome to Mhaldor!

• Seriously, apostate fun in raids.
  • Atalkez said:
    @Peregrino

Are you planning to get dragon out of the way right away? With 9400 credits Id maybe consider bashing to dragon as another class. But that's just me! Then I'd switch and buy my main artes when I get to 99. 
  • edited February 2016
    Aesgar said:
    Atalkez said:
    @Peregrino

Are you planning to get dragon out of the way right away? With 9400 credits Id maybe consider bashing to dragon as another class. But that's just me! Then I'd switch and buy my main artes when I get to 99. 
    I guess I should consider it, what's the best bashing class for Mhaldor and roughly how long does it take? I think I'm unlikely to do this though.
  • Peregrino said:
    Aesgar said:
    Atalkez said:
    @Peregrino

I guess I should consider it, what's the best bashing class for Mhaldor and roughly how long does it take? I think I'm unlikely to do this though.
    The classes are all pretty even for bashing now. I personally think runewarden is pretty good, and I have heard the same about serpent.

The current record for the youngest dragon is about three weeks. Sounds short, but they usually spend 10+ hours most days bashing to get it done that quick. 
  • edited February 2016
    Aesgar said:
    The classes are all pretty even for bashing now.
    The majority of the classes are pretty even now, but that makes the ones that weren't properly balanced stand out even more.

Without artefacts, runewarden or infernal (they each have advantages, neither is strictly superior) are the best available to Mhaldor, bard is second, the rest are significantly worse and all pretty close to each other.
    With artefacts, bard is significantly better than knights (except in defence, but with harmonics bards are pretty strong there too), and serpent and jester become extremely strong as well (though serpent will be a lot weaker defensively); serpent and jester beat knights in offence, but knights have far better defence. The rest of the classes can't compare at all (even dragon loses to those stronger classes, except in defence), and are still pretty close to equal.
  • I'm playing an apostate right now I'm reading that there's a battlerage skill that uses a mob's sensitivity affliction.  How do you give it to the mobs, with the daegger stab skill? Is that skill only used to prompt that battlefury skill then?
  • Mob afflictions all come from battlerage, though not always from the battlerages your own class uses. That's meant to encourage grouping.
  • Check ab battlerage

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Aesgar said:
    Peregrino said:
    Aesgar said:
    Atalkez said:
    @Peregrino

The classes are all pretty even for bashing now. I personally think runewarden is pretty good, and I have heard the same about serpent.

The current record for the youngest dragon is about three weeks. Sounds short, but they usually spend 10+ hours most days bashing to get it done that quick. 
    Heard the exact calculation was 14 hours a day. So you sleep for 4 hours. 4 hours of doing whatever else you need like bathroom and shower... and then maybe eat. :|
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • The other 2 hours are for masturbation.

• I'd be using the two hours to just weep at what I've been reduced to.
  • Bashing is less demeaning if you have the scripting skills for 1-button bashing.  I got to level 100 in Aetolia pushing one button and never leaving the screen for months, it was still a little bit demeaning but I had a second monitor.
This discussion has been closed.