Character retirement

Comments

• Kaervus said:
    @Tecton, it would be awesome to see exactly what is increasing and what is decreasing when you look at RETIRE VALUE in game. That way we'd know what to do in order to tip over characters that are close to the edge.

I have one character on another game that's 25 credits from getting retirement for example. Can I buy 25 credits with gold from the in game market and be done with it or do I have to buy 25 credits with USD? And would I get 500 credits in return or is the value less than that?
    Second this.  I believe the help file should be expanded upon to list:
    1) What exactly counts towards retirement value.
    2) What exactly does NOT count towards retirement value. 
    3) What makes the character available to be retired?  Is it the current value of the character must be 1000 cr?  Or must the character have over their life accumulated 1000 cr? 
    4) Why don't no brainer lessons and credits count just at a lowered value?  It's still value I'm adding to my character that I'm purchasing with real life money, not in-game currency (yet somethings bought with in-game currency do count?).

All this info would have answered most of the questions asked here.
  • @Tecton Is there a plan on when the limit for retirement is going to be lowered? I'm currently waiting on making a new character because I have a character or two who will likely become eligible when the threshold is decreased.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    No specific timeframes in mind, I'm afraid. Some time in the future!
  • Could we look into allowing retired characters a special retirement honor, unlocked by their game achievements? Characters in leadership positions being retired should have the right to become part of legend and lore. The Champion of the Mark who served for over 150 years and brought two thousands souls to justice could be written officially into the Hall of Champions when he retires *made up examples loosely based on Achaea* - It would also add a bit of a checklist for aging and tired characters. *Hmm, I am 20 years of City Service as a Senator, 5 more years as a City Soldier and 11 more kills before I can retire and become a special mention in the City introduction by the City tutor... Yeah. I can stick it out and be active for that much more time* --- then they will have the experience of learning about their old character while growing into the new one. And, those of us who knew the retired character would have the legend to keep and share and just a small bit of closure.
  • No, not keen. City historical archives should have all that, don't really fancy it as part of honoursv

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Goryllin said:
    Could we look into allowing retired characters a special retirement honor, unlocked by their game achievements? Characters in leadership positions being retired should have the right to become part of legend and lore. The Champion of the Mark who served for over 150 years and brought two thousands souls to justice could be written officially into the Hall of Champions when he retires *made up examples loosely based on Achaea* - It would also add a bit of a checklist for aging and tired characters. *Hmm, I am 20 years of City Service as a Senator, 5 more years as a City Soldier and 11 more kills before I can retire and become a special mention in the City introduction by the City tutor... Yeah. I can stick it out and be active for that much more time* --- then they will have the experience of learning about their old character while growing into the new one. And, those of us who knew the retired character would have the legend to keep and share and just a small bit of closure.

This has already been brought up, see below.

Sarapis said:

We don't and won't be giving any kind of custom honors line or letting you kill your characters gloriously or anything similar. Standard retirement lines are all we're going to do. This is a last-ditch option for people who are not going to use a character any more, rather than something that provides any reward whatsoever beyond getting some credits to put into a new character. 

I could see letting people retire, without any value, characters that aren't eligible for retirement though, perhaps.

• edited February 2016
    Sounds like reason for people who are already sick of their role to just cling onto it till they reach some magic line before throwing in the towel anyway.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Yeah because that hasn't already happened before >_>

• Skye said:
    Yeah because that hasn't already happened before >_>
    Exactly, why would we want to encourage it more?

• Speaking of which, how much longer I gotta sit in this horrid MoS position until I get a shiny honours line?

/joke
  • Jukilian said:
    Speaking of which, how much longer I gotta sit in this horrid MoS position until I get a shiny honours line?

/joke
    Three thousand years

• Valkyn said:
    Sounds like reason for people who are already sick of their role to just cling onto it till they reach some magic line before throwing in the towel anyway.
    Should just make the lines up to the discretion of the Garden/House patron, if they aren't already (are they?).

Or enforce a hard limit on time served. Keep the new blood flowing through.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Sarathai said:
    Valkyn said:
    Should just make the lines up to the discretion of the Garden/House patron, if they aren't already (are they?).

I believe all the org service lines are manual.
    Huh. Neat.
    Sarathai said:
    Valkyn said:

We don't offer honours lines for time in a position any more for exactly that reason. Giving new adventurers a chance to advance and participate in the game is a good thing, not trapping them for RL months or years because someone wants an honours line.
  • Hello, I was wondering if anyone had an idea about the specific time frame that it took until the retirement process was over? It's been around 3 days since confirmation for me. Also, just out of curiosity, what would make a character (who is in theory eligible) marked ineligible for retirement by the administration? Thanks.
    Exxia said:
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone had an idea about the specific time frame that it took until the retirement process was over? It's been around 3 days since confirmation for me. Also, just out of curiosity, what would make a character (who is in theory eligible) marked ineligible for retirement by the administration? Thanks.
    1) Timeframe varies based on number of requests and generally how busy we are. Weekends have a higher retirement request rate as more people have the time to log in.

2) Lots of things, but mainly suspicious activity that looks like someone is up to no good.
  • Skye said:
    I'm really angry about retirement. Not because of retirement itself but the way some people have gone about it. 

I get that ultimately retirement is an ooc thing with ooc benefits, but I'm looking at my Order members list and there's suddenly all these people I haven't seen in forever listed as active so I get all excited... only when you honours them, you realise they retired. It's like, these are people I used to play with ages ago, and you don't even have the decency to say hi or bye or spend a few last moments with friends. We even have some who are active but just retire without a word too. 

As someone whose last remaining org is the Order, it's really hurtful that some of these people just poof without even looking back. Not cool, guys. Seriously not cool. 
    How about the person who puts all the books from the largest library in the world in their home during the Reno and then promptly qq' until retirement is introduced only to log in, retire, and lose hundreds upon hundred of books written over the course of hundreds of years. How about that guy? :angry: 
  • Who  did that :anguished: 
  • Not entirely sure but that may have been Arditi?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Grandue said:
    Skye said:
    I'm really angry about retirement. Not because of retirement itself but the way some people have gone about it. 

I get that ultimately retirement is an ooc thing with ooc benefits, but I'm looking at my Order members list and there's suddenly all these people I haven't seen in forever listed as active so I get all excited... only when you honours them, you realise they retired. It's like, these are people I used to play with ages ago, and you don't even have the decency to say hi or bye or spend a few last moments with friends. We even have some who are active but just retire without a word too. 

As someone whose last remaining org is the Order, it's really hurtful that some of these people just poof without even looking back. Not cool, guys. Seriously not cool. 
    How about the person who puts all the books from the largest library in the world in their home during the Reno and then promptly qq' until retirement is introduced only to log in, retire, and lose hundreds upon hundred of books written over the course of hundreds of years. How about that guy? :angry: 
    I can only imagine how itwould feel. The person cared so little about the task they were given that they'd rather just quit and start over with half of what they had...  they had that much investment. That is what that task of having that library was worth to that person. Nothing.

I think it says a lot about the state of things.

• Grandue said:
    Skye said:

I would have thought this is the kind of situation when the admin should be saying 'actually, no'. Sort your shit out. If you want to RP destroying them that's one thing, but just to have them vanish? Ouch.

• Valkyn said:
    Grandue said:
    Skye said:

I would have thought this is the kind of situation when the admin should be saying 'actually, no'. Sort your shit out. If you want to RP destroying them that's one thing, but just to have them vanish? Ouch.
    Yeah I would think that too, since technically the admins created the problem.  Before retirement was here the books were at least there in the game.  So now players have the ability to erase books from the game, put them in your player home and retire the character.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It's a pretty expensive way of going about it when you can just humgii a book if you have the master copy.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Skye said:

I am very glad the most major person who retired for me had the decency to come back and say goodbye to me personally. There were a few others who didn't, though, and it stung something fierce. :(

As to the housing thing, I completely agree. I don't think Aerek or I ever plan to do it, but if he had decided to one day and suddenly the manor disappeared, I would have been pissssssed. I think there definitely needs to be some sort of middle ground here, where you can transfer the home in some manner, or (*crosses fingers*) family-owned housing becomes a thing. Something!

The lack of warning is pretty nuts too. And the lost books, damn. That's just awful.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby