Looking for RP

Hi!

So, I'm a fairly dedicated RPer - long form, deep character, always-in-character, every-day-all-day kind of RP. I love Achaea's bashing, combat, classes, flavor and lore, but I'm having a hard time finding that kind of RP.

Where's a good place to start?
(Party): Kondar says, "Anyone else a little terrified of Astrika right now?"
(Party): Volan says, "No groin strikes please."

Ryldagh falls in a blaze of silver to Astrika, Acolyte of Cruelty's sword, Dark Gorillas.
(Cyrene): Ahmet says, "Buahahaha."
(Cyrene): Jayden says, "Hehehehe."
(Cyrene): Ahmet says, "I am the evil Astrika, warrior of Mhaldor! Bow to my vicious blade, Dark Gorillas!"

Comments

• Every city is going to have those who excel at RP and those who suck at it. I'm sure you'll find some people in Eleusis that are well versed in RP. Ashtan is neck deep in it right now, I'm pretty pleased with some of what I've seen recently.
  • Mhaldor, some orders.
  • If you're looking for that and you don't currently have it, you might not be approaching it from the right direction. RP is the same as any other part of the game. Don't wait for something fun to happen spontaneously, make it happen on your own. I think you can find RP anywhere, no matter what city you're in. I've always had success with just approaching people and talking with them, and have never had trouble finding people to interact with (I won't even say "RP with", because every interaction for me is RP) from any city. 

I'd actually go as far as saying it would be a mistake to leave/join another city just for to find a RP community, because that's the beginning of needing other people to make the game fun for you. The problem with that is Achaea is the type of game that you need to make fun for yourself. I'd suggest just approaching people (don't use tells unless absolutely necessary) and talking with them. Ask questions. "Why do you serve Good?" is an example. If they're interested in a deep interaction, they'll explain. If not, they might not. Don't pester people, just make things fun for yourself. :)

i'm a rebel

• The problem is that if you're coming from Aetolia or another RP-intensive game, most Achaeans are going to be a little too OOC for you. Thus, 'ask literally every single person online in the hopes of finding someone good' is not too helpful in that situation. It is undeniable that some orgs have had more or less of an RP focus throughout Achaea's history, so it makes sense to see which ones of those you might want to pick if that's your major concern.
  • edited February 2016
    I've never had trouble, especially not to the point where I've had to "ask literally every single person online in the hopes of finding someone good", I'm not sure where that idea came from. That's why I suggested "just approaching people". I'm sure some orgs have more of a RP focus, but I didn't view her question as "my city sucks, what city do I need to join for RP?", I interpreted it as "how do I find RP". You can find it everywhere. Don't rely on it finding you, because when it doesn't, you're going to get bored of the game. 

Achaea is the type of game where you can make stuff happen anywhere, and that's the beauty of the game. Finding meaningful interaction should be effortless. If it's not, something's wrong, no matter what city you play in. Every city has some great people in it. I'm sure every city has different numbers of people who would be interested, but from my experiences, I've found people to interact with from every city easily.

RPWHO is also a tool that could help if you're having trouble finding meaningful interaction, but I've never used it. It could definitely help for shy and quiet characters, but even then, subtle emotes could help too. Even something as simple as making a smile alias that does a custom emote can convey that you might be more interested in deeper immersion than others.

i'm a rebel

• You understand not everyone is going to have your standards, though, right? You might not have trouble finding RP that satisfies you, but others might. So they ask where's a good place to look!
  • I'm not sure what you mean by my standards. Are you assuming my standards for RP are somehow lower, and assuming that's why I am able to find meaningful interaction so easily?

i'm a rebel

• Tesha said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by my standards. Are you assuming my standards for RP are somehow lower, and assuming that's why I am able to find meaningful interaction so easily?
    I didn't say lower, just different. We've had a lot of threads/comments on forums lately about people not being able to find the kind of RP they're used to, and this is probably part of that same pattern. Achaea's RP is not necessarily like <insert game here>'s RP, and so it's important to keep in mind what people might be expecting if they come from other places.
  • Fair enough. Hopefully she can find the kind of interaction she's interested in. Deeply immersed characters are always a joy to play with. :)

i'm a rebel

• I am all about the rps, @Astrika. And I don't care where you're playing currently. Find a way to interact, and we're on!
  • HELP RPWHO might also be a resource that you and others could use
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Achaea's RP is actually rather light compared to some of the places I've been. It's also different. Lots of other places just have different standards.  For Achaea RP, as an example, I find rarely if ever allows for an emote to contain something a character is thinking.

Nothing wrong with that, I generally appreciate what I find to be a faster paced RP methods here. Quite frankly, Achaea is rather pragmatic with it's RP, really.
  • I'm not convinced about this Rp on/off. Always Rping but sometimes might give it more thought. Usually don't have a heck of a lot of time especially for enemies and veiled conversion attempts (or blatant ones - looking at you Tesha haha.) when I have that time to spare on more intense stuff I'd rather focus it on city events or novices. 

So yeah. Don't take a brush off as necessarily not into Rp. Some of us have a lot to do and never enough time.

• That doesn't really help the people who are looking for that, though! Your intentions don't change the outcome for them.
  • RP is a strange thing. I've very rarely met anybody that is completely OOC, though there will be people that are more prone to not wanting to care about the way the IC game works with religion or cities or enemies.

Even the most nonchalant players are in their own sense, RPing. Even the guy who doesn't want to talk and just fights, is RPing, because they are a part of the world, known as the fighter who doesn't bother with politics. 

So sure, if you want to have long blown out RP times, I guess that is one thing, but to say you can't find any is probably wrong. Aepas is a pretty quiet person that will likely never talk to you unless he sees a value, or you are close to him.
    So sure, it might make it seem like he never RP's or sits down for a good chat, but just as well that is his character. He has plenty to say, he just chooses when to say it. 

All I would say is avoid OOC clans like the plague, they completely ruin immersion. If you end up skyping people, avoid the city groups (They're just bad news in general)

Be interesting, excited, and just eager to learn about everything and everyone. You can't really say you never found RP when the truth is, your character is too boring for anyone to bother with, or has any reason that we want to learn your history or share theirs. Achaea is indeed a less RP intensive than the other IRE games, but as I said, even people who don't often partake in it are usually in a character mindset of some sort. In the end it comes down to what you expect. Of course keep in mind that some RP will also come down to your mechanical skill. I've always wanted Aepas to be a certifiable badass who talks little and carries a big stick. He does indeed to this as a 2h, however I am a 100% terrible combatant. So, I focus on what I am good at elsewhere. I can't be the scary guy that threatens people cause I'll likely just die, so I lean more towards the manipulation aspect of things.

I think if you're just expecting RP in the standards that you assume RP is, you might be disappointed because few people are going to just sit down with you and have emote intensive conversations that last the night. If you just keep your character, and expect other people to as well, you might be pleasantly surprised. 
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Well, thanks guys. <3

This helps a lot.
    (Party): Kondar says, "Anyone else a little terrified of Astrika right now?"
    (Party): Volan says, "No groin strikes please."

Ryldagh falls in a blaze of silver to Astrika, Acolyte of Cruelty's sword, Dark Gorillas.
    (Cyrene): Ahmet says, "Buahahaha."
    (Cyrene): Jayden says, "Hehehehe."
    (Cyrene): Ahmet says, "I am the evil Astrika, warrior of Mhaldor! Bow to my vicious blade, Dark Gorillas!"
  • Kiet said:
    That doesn't really help the people who are looking for that, though! Your intentions don't change the outcome for them.
    I'm just confused by this idea that many people are ooc in Achaea. There's a few within every city, but others just don't want to RP long time-consuming sessions, or just don't have time, or are busy doing their RP with people they know better. That doesn't make them ooc, it makes them different. The attitude is strange. Pretty much agree with what Aepas is saying.

• I think people are getting hung up on the term RP, and are not really answering the request. Let's rephrase it as: "I'd like to find other people to do long-form emoting with - what's the best way to do that?" 

I'd like to know the answer to that as well, as I do miss that aspect of MUDs.
  • Actually I think that questions been answered already! Anywhere and everywhere, just sometimes you might have to dig a little.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Also, I think a lot of people tend to avoid 'long-form' emotes (assuming you mean extended emotes) because they think other people wont bother with them and such, and not so much because they themselves don't like. So you might have to put yourself out there and see who bites in.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I dunno about all of this long form emoting nonsense. I just live a character. Goryllin is alive and well and doing things. So if you interact with him, you get interacted with (good or bad). If you become part of his life, you are part of his life. He doesn't stand around and wait for someone to come up so he can make a lot of weird facial and body contortions to silently get his point across, but he lives and breaths (and dies) and .. is alive and response. That's roleplay.
  • Valkyn said:
    Kiet said:
    That doesn't really help the people who are looking for that, though! Your intentions don't change the outcome for them.
    I'm just confused by this idea that many people are ooc in Achaea. There's a few within every city, but others just don't want to RP long time-consuming sessions, or just don't have time, or are busy doing their RP with people they know better. That doesn't make them ooc, it makes them different. The attitude is strange. Pretty much agree with what Aepas is saying.
    Um, I regularly see people openly say 'lol', talk about issues, talk about sports/music/other RL shit, etc. That's pretty blatantly OOC, not sure why you're claiming it doesn't happen regularly.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Kiet said:
    Valkyn said:
    Kiet said:
    Um, I regularly see people openly say 'lol', talk about issues, talk about sports/music/other RL shit, etc. That's pretty blatantly OOC, not sure why you're claiming it doesn't happen regularly.
    It might have to do with you being a seprent. I've seen people talk about issues, which is in a way unavoidable, but I've never seen anyone say lol, or talk about sports or music or anything else in says or HT/HNT/CT outside of maybe one or two obvious trolls.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited February 2016
    Shirszae said:
    Kiet said:
    Valkyn said:
    Kiet said:
    It might have to do with you being a seprent. I've seen people talk about issues, which is in a way unavoidable, but I've never seen anyone say lol, or talk about sports or music or anything else in says or HT/HNT/CT outside of maybe one or two obvious trolls.
    People keep it off ht/hnt/ct, usually (except ashtan in like 2006 lol, erhon must've gotten some white hairs from that). But says, tells, supposedly IC clans, and parties (from least to most common) go OOC all the time.

• edited February 2016
    Parties are ooc by default, I discourage people from talking ooc in tells to me unless they're marked or we've made it clear it's ooc. I don't come across it in says or clans.

No, I honestly haven't seen much of it. I get the very occasional person saying 'lol' in tells and I just ignore it and don't make a big deal over it and it goes away.

• I would think that just like bashing, RP preferences are for the large part pretty personal, and so I'd suggest just getting out and trying things until you find what works... there's no magic best hunting ground for a level 92 just like there's no magic best RP spot.

• edited February 2016
    Valkyn said:
    Parties are ooc by default, I discourage people from talking ooc in tells to me unless they're marked or we've made it clear it's ooc. I don't come across it in says or clans.

No, I honestly haven't seen much of it. I get the very occasional person saying 'lol' in tells and I just ignore it and don't make a big deal over it and it goes away.
    If you think parties are ooc by default, then I'm not surprised you don't think OOC is everywhere. They're not OOC in Mhaldor or Eleusis. HELP ROLEPLAYING says:

RP required: where?
    -------------------
    Roleplaying is encouraged on/in all public venues except the newbie channel.
    - shouts
    - yells
    - news groups
    - house channels
    - city channels
    - order channels
    - oakstone channels
    - market channel
    - party channels
    - some clans

People that actually want to RP don't want to have to go OOC to defend their city, and that's why some cities know to curb this.

Valkyn said:
    I would think that just like bashing, RP preferences are for the large part pretty personal, and so I'd suggest just getting out and trying things until you find what works... there's no magic best hunting ground for a level 92 just like there's no magic best RP spot.
    No, but, for instance, if you want to stay in character all the time and not have parties assumed OOC, you can be told things like "Eleusis and Mhaldor don't go OOC in parties." That is useful information, "rp is everywhere" isn't.

• No, I don't 'think' parties are ooc by default, I'm just going off admin rulings. Personally I'd rather they weren't and avoid ooc parties.