Family clans are here!

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
We're pleased to announce a new addition to the RP landscape: Family clans!

A family clan is a way to formally recognise your family's place in the world. They come with a host of new options to help bring these prestigious lineages into the limelight. Family clans can:

* Allow members to take on a pre-configured family name as their suffix.
* Have assignable progenitors, allowing clans to recognise the founders of the family line.
* Become listed on FAMILY LIST.
* Have a special version of CLANHELP.

Before you rush out and set this option on your clan, there are a few things to keep in mind:

Once set as a family clan:
* The clan can not be renamed.
* The clan will be democratic.
* Can not be dissolved.
* Can not be reverted to a regular clan.

Once configured:
* The family name can not be changed.
* The family surname can not be changed.

Ok, so you've read and understand the limitations, here's how you convert your clan into a family clan (as a clan leader):

* CLAN SET FAMILY <family name>
  This will cost 500,000 gold. The family name does not necessarily have to be the same as the clan name, but it should reflect the family's name. So the Aristata clan may do "CLAN SET FAMILY Aristata".

* CLAN SET SUFFIX <surname> 
  Configure the surname for the family. All adventurers in the clan can use FAMILY TITLE to set this as their suffix. Once set, this can not be changed.

* CLAN SET PROGENITOR <name>
  Configure up to two progenitors for your family line. Once set, this can not be changed. Progenitors either have to: 
  * Be in the clan.
  * Have the house surname in their title.

** Note **
The administration, at their sole discretion, may remove the family designation from a clan. In circumstances such as these, refunds will not be offered. Please do not use this system to be a pest, pain, or to "snipe" family names from already-established clans.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I'm iffy about the democracy thing, I know -why- it's there, but I think for many family clans it'd be the reason they don't go for this.

Also what's the progenitor thing? It isn't really explained very well what it's for.

(Does this mean clan housing might be coming???)

• I think the note is the best part
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Valkyn said:
    I'm iffy about the democracy thing, I know -why- it's there, but I think for many family clans it'd be the reason they don't go for this.

Also what's the progenitor thing? It isn't really explained very well what it's for.

(Does this mean clan housing might be coming???)
    Well, democratic needs to be there for the clan to survive should the leader go dormant, there's already too many spin-off clans because they were stuck when the clan leader stepped away.

Progenitors exist to recognise the founders of a family line, without having to have them be a clan leader. Say family clan Dragonbane was founded by Bob and Roberta back in 300AF, the clan could recognise them as the founders by setting them as progenitors.
  • Yay!! Thank you! 

• edited February 2016
    Can progenitors not be kicked out or something?

Like I said, I know why democracy is there, to prevent the clan dying out, but it can also open it up to abuse.

edited February 2016
    It's purely honorific at the moment, but we may add some more functionality to them in the future, such as immunity to being removed.
  • Would admin be ready to step in and revert control of the clan if someone managed to take it over when most members were dormant, kicked everyone out and invited whoever they liked?

• MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Do the progenitors have to be actually players? Without citing examples, a lot of families are just player-driven versions of families created in the lore....right?
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
    Marax said:
    Do the progenitors have to be actually players? Without citing examples, a lot of families are just player-driven versions of families created in the lore....right?
    Yes, just players.
  • Tecton said:
    Yes, we mourn the death of the Zhu^sho_azon line.
    So I'm assuming Shu'in is not an option for the clan?
  • One the family suffix is taken using the FAMILY TITLE mechanic, can we add further suffixes (say for house or city matters)? For instance, if I become Salvar Rousseau and my suffix is permanently Rousseau, does that stop us from suffixing something like , Magical Nixe to the end?
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    edited February 2016
    Salvar said:
    One the family suffix is taken using the FAMILY TITLE mechanic, can we add further suffixes (say for house or city matters)? For instance, if I become Salvar Rousseau and my suffix is permanently Rousseau, does that stop us from suffixing something like , Magical Nixe to the end?
    If it's anything like other IRE games, yes. Your surname will simply because another name you cannot change and not lend to the character limit for suffixes.

edit; I'm silly. Shhhh.
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • Ugh you guyyyyyyyyz, can't we get back to squeeing about family clans and real boon here? Legitimized Achaean mafiosos or GoT-esque plots where we marry off the young princeling politically to cement an alliance? Come ooooooon.
  • @Tecton is family clan housing part of phase 2?

is there any limiting factors to how many family clans an individual can be in?
  • @Tecton, it would be cool if in phase 2, you introduce things like family rivalries/wars, city representation, etc for particularly prestigious families or something. Just some ideas!
    Tahquil said:
    @Tecton is family clan housing part of phase 2?

is there any limiting factors to how many family clans an individual can be in?
    Housing - we'll see!

No limiting factors on the number of family clans you can be in. 
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited February 2016
    Other than your available clan slots.. unless you're willing to make them clanslot free? -hopes-

• Are there plans for family powers and stuff like in Lusternia?
    Qwyn said:
    Are there plans for family powers and stuff like in Lusternia?
    Nothing set in stone at this point in time!
  • Halos said:
    Can apostrophes be allowed for the family title? Hyphens and underscores and Czanthrian asterisks and whatever else are pretty strange, but apostrophes are the basic salt and pepper of the fantasy name genre. It's weird not to allow them. Blasphemous even.

All hail the shuin splints
  • Excellent news. Not so excellent that I've managed to lock the Van Helsing family suffix as Van in my excitement. Issued and messaged to get it fixed, but ugh. Would settle for unset than to have to settle for VanHelsing and clearing up the shitstorm that would cause.

• Hyphens are actually typical name characters in my culture. But underscores... these are computer gibberish.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Pretty excited about this. Time to do some looking inwards ICly to figure out a few important things. Also more reason to hunt, that gold cost, phew!

Also will probably go out of my mind with excitement if clan (family only, even) housing becomes a thing. Not too many more things (other than housing option expansions themselves along with it) make me more excited about the prospect of, at the moment.

Cheers, guys!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Spent a huge amount of Xadens life dormant. And have only recently begun a family; two daughters, no sons (yet). But I am ridiculously excited about this. I guess I'll be back to hunting a lot more now - that's a lot of quiche!
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.