handling shrubbing in rp

UlaUla
edited February 2016 in The Scarlattan Theatre
Hi achaea. So I have been away, since about november due to a financial snafu that left me shrubbed. It was a totally reasonable shrubbing that had nothing to do with in game stuff. I am not sure how to handle my return. I have been thinking and planning certain kinds of things while ive been away. been kept abreast of situations throughout the world, by an IRL friend who also plays.  
My main concern is, do i acknowledge being shrubbed? is that the protocol? or can i have a non-shrubbed reason for my absence (my plan was a long meditation at the foot of the dreamspear). at least three people came and saw my shrub, and when other people are shrubbed it is often referenced in character, in game and people have IC emotional reactions and such. How have/would you handle this kind of undesired, though uncontrollable time gap in your characters life, or at least your absense in the lives of others?

please advise?

*edit*
im aware we arent really supposed to discuss shrubbing, and i hope this doesnt qualify, even though shrubbing is part of what i'm asking about

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    An extended absence where you were becoming one with nature? I'm sure you could play it off any number of ways.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Characters are aware of shrubs. Why not play off it? Be vague about angering a Divine, and mutter and drop little hints that don't reveal anything (read: make up a story and drop hints to it, since it wasn't an IC reason for the shrubbing). All Python'd out like being turned into a newt.

I have no idea if that'd violate discussing shrubbings or not. If you roll with it, you might want to issue yourself to ask before following through.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I was shrubbed once due to a financial complication. While it didn't last long, the Mhaldorians around me all thought it was very funny and did more or less what you'd expect - watered me with blood, and I think (I can't remember if we actually did this or if it was just talked about) forced me to follow them and took me to a raid on Eleusis as 'bait'. I was panicking about the shrubbing at the time, but in hindsight it was actually really funny. 

If people are going to mention it in-game (since it was, technically, something that actually happened) how you want to roll with it is up to you. The why of it is something you can entirely make up yourself - in general, your character can lie about anything anyway. The truth is really no one's business, so you may as well have fun with it!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Just wanted to say I'm grateful that the RP environment is such that it can be handled with humor and grace and the person doesn't get ostracized or anything like that. I don't know much about shrubbing to be honest so I've found this thread really enlightening.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I'd say you have freedom to go either way. You could probably get away with not acknowledging it at all, it's a game and we all disappear for periods of time at some point, no sense in brainstorming some involved reason for a time away every time you take a vacation IRL. On the other hand, Achaea is a Greek setting, and it'd be pretty believable to say you were shrubbed for some slight (real or perceived) from some God or other. As long as you don't get personal with accusations, you could pretty easily play that off as just another day in a world where Gods walk among us and you can be raped by a swan at any given moment.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    ...just another day in a world where Gods walk among us and you can be raped by a swan at any given moment.
    Aerek said:
    ...you can be raped by a swan at any given moment.
    Aerek said:
    ...raped by a swan....
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I tend to agree with the people who say just be vague about it. Your character doesn't really owe anyone an explanation and unless you can come up with something super compelling the ooc knowledge that other players have seems to disrupt the suspended belief of you talk too much about the shrubbing icly and it doesn't really have to have an explanation there. Weird shit happens all the time in Achaea and this is no exception 
  • this is all very helpful! thanks guys
  • Aerek said:
    Could've been worse. Aerek could have mentioned the one who got impregnated by a golden shower.
  • Kaden said:
    Aerek said:
    Could've been worse. Aerek could have mentioned the one who got impregnated by a golden shower.
    I have yet to bring up that one to my students each year without at least one giggling about it.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."