Retirement plans?

Between Aetolia and Achaea, I am able to retire a fair amount of credits while keeping my main Aetolian character. I am planning on making a new character somewhere (or maybe split credits between two characters), except I don't know in which game, which side/city/guild/whatever, etc.

Does anyone else have retirement plans they're going to put into action? Which game would your new character be in? Would anyone be interested in creating characters with RP ties to other characters (friends, family, animosity, whatever)? Or just some OOC coordination to break into a new setting?

Personally, I'm leaning towards an entirely new Achaean or Aetolian character, although I'm considering trying out Lusternia for the first time.

Comments

• I'm leaning towards a new Aetolian character as I've been wanting to give it another try for a long time - I played a long time ago and not very long, and recently just toyed around a bit there to get a feel for the cities and guilds. Alting in Achaea doesn't hold much interest for me anymore - I like Aereidhna and want to stick with her (and I wish I could put my retirement credits towards her). Choosing a city and guild in Aetolia is proving difficult, though, and it takes me longer than 14 days to commit fully and know that's the character/storyline I want to stick with. So I'll probably take a bit more time to think about it before I jump in.
  • Aereidhna said:
    I'm leaning towards a new Aetolian character as I've been wanting to give it another try for a long time - I played a long time ago and not very long, and recently just toyed around a bit there to get a feel for the cities and guilds. Alting in Achaea doesn't hold much interest for me anymore - I like Aereidhna and want to stick with her (and I wish I could put my retirement credits towards her). Choosing a city and guild in Aetolia is proving difficult, though, and it takes me longer than 14 days to commit fully and know that's the character/storyline I want to stick with. So I'll probably take a bit more time to think about it before I jump in.
    Just move Aereidhna to Targossas, that'll shake things up enough to not need an alt! :pleased: 

• Sylvaria said:
    Aereidhna said:
    I'm leaning towards a new Aetolian character as I've been wanting to give it another try for a long time - I played a long time ago and not very long, and recently just toyed around a bit there to get a feel for the cities and guilds. Alting in Achaea doesn't hold much interest for me anymore - I like Aereidhna and want to stick with her (and I wish I could put my retirement credits towards her). Choosing a city and guild in Aetolia is proving difficult, though, and it takes me longer than 14 days to commit fully and know that's the character/storyline I want to stick with. So I'll probably take a bit more time to think about it before I jump in.
    Just move Aereidhna to Targossas, that'll shake things up enough to not need an alt! :pleased: 

Hee! That'd be incredibly out of character for her, and I adore Cyrene far too much, although I do like many things about Targossas (though ICly Aereidhna's not terribly fond of Targ). Someone did suggest alting recently as a good way to blow off steam/not end up ruining your main character over stupid things, and I like that idea, but I'm not sure alting in Achaea is for me anymore (I have a string of abandoned ones, sadly), and Aetolia seems like a lot of fun.
  • @AereidhnaI tried Aetolia with another Lupine once. We both joined this guild/class where we had a golem or something that could push us out of the room on demand without balance. We looked at that and went, "Well, we're invincible. Let's go." Proceeded to level hard and fast from newbiehood by keeping delos guards dead. Nobody ever said anything to us about it. In fact, nobody ever interacted with us in any way, shape, or form, but enough people must've talked ABOUT us because one day we logged in and went to our delos routine and the guards were suddenly chasing. By then we had enough levels that it didn't matter, and even with the surprise of it we survived and killed them, but dayum. We probably got something nerfed into the ground, but with the total lack of interaction from anyone else in the game, I wasn't interested enough to stick around and find out. Pity, though, because the class seemed interesting.

More on topic, I've got 3-4 characters across 3 games that I wouldn't mind retiring, but I've also got enough characters that I have no intention to make another one since multiclass is a thing. The two characters in other games have wasted hard by class changing(one from mage to mage *weep* that's when I swore off class changes). One in Achaea has already retired with RP death and then came back as a zombiething to help farewell to her house during the renn. I think it would be wasteful to retire her though, since she's got a pet, diadem, SoA, omnitrans, and a free class change, plus a few smaller things, so if I wanted at her bankroll I'd probably rather do it by waking her up and looking for an RP avenue that is zombie friendly (....?). The other one I would definitely retire, but as I said, if I ever go for a permanent new character again I'm just going to end up waking the zombie instead. That's actually what I should've done last time, but the throwaway let's-try-this-class alt stuck. Still, it took WAY more than 2 weeks for it to stick. I don't even think 2 months was long enough to know it. Rocky starts, eesh.
  • Kez said:
    @AereidhnaI tried Aetolia with another Lupine once. We both joined this guild/class where we had a golem or something that could push us out of the room on demand without balance. We looked at that and went, "Well, we're invincible. Let's go." Proceeded to level hard and fast from newbiehood by keeping delos guards dead. Nobody ever said anything to us about it. In fact, nobody ever interacted with us in any way, shape, or form, but enough people must've talked ABOUT us because one day we logged in and went to our delos routine and the guards were suddenly chasing. By then we had enough levels that it didn't matter, and even with the surprise of it we survived and killed them, but dayum. We probably got something nerfed into the ground, but with the total lack of interaction from anyone else in the game, I wasn't interested enough to stick around and find out. Pity, though, because the class seemed interesting.

More on topic, I've got 3-4 characters across 3 games that I wouldn't mind retiring, but I've also got enough characters that I have no intention to make another one since multiclass is a thing. The two characters in other games have wasted hard by class changing(one from mage to mage *weep* that's when I swore off class changes). One in Achaea has already retired with RP death and then came back as a zombiething to help farewell to her house during the renn. I think it would be wasteful to retire her though, since she's got a pet, diadem, SoA, omnitrans, and a free class change, plus a few smaller things, so if I wanted at her bankroll I'd probably rather do it by waking her up and looking for an RP avenue that is zombie friendly (....?). The other one I would definitely retire, but as I said, if I ever go for a permanent new character again I'm just going to end up waking the zombie instead. That's actually what I should've done last time, but the throwaway let's-try-this-class alt stuck. Still, it took WAY more than 2 weeks for it to stick. I don't even think 2 months was long enough to know it. Rocky starts, eesh.
    New Terradrim. Way OP. It was due for the nerf stick anyway, pretty much every incarnation of that class has been problematically strong.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I think retirement is a very tantalizing option. I am one of those who can't play an alt for more than a couple days before I go back to Vayne(You might say made the alt in Vayne!). I have invested a few hundred dollars in him, but more than that I have a strong emotional bond to the character and all I've experienced through him. I have often thought that I would not be interested in going Celani because I would lose my character, so retirement seems out of the question still. Nonetheless, I think if I was going to have a successful alt, Vayne would have to be out of the picture. I would just need to courage to put him six feet under.
  • @Trevize you will be incredibly missed. The few interactions I've had with you have been wonderful - I wish there had been more! Fair winds.
  • So uh, hi again!

@Tecton is it intentional that I can still use the forum account?

If so that's really cool, actually. But want to make you aware in case it isn't intended.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I don't see why they'd lock the forum account, makes sense it would still be accessible.

• i'm considering retiring, but where will i go and what will i do... hmmm

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • Vayne said:
    I think retirement is a very tantalizing option. I am one of those who can't play an alt for more than a couple days before I go back to Vayne(You might say made the alt in Vayne!). I have invested a few hundred dollars in him, but more than that I have a strong emotional bond to the character and all I've experienced through him. I have often thought that I would not be interested in going Celani because I would lose my character, so retirement seems out of the question still. Nonetheless, I think if I was going to have a successful alt, Vayne would have to be out of the picture. I would just need to courage to put him six feet under.
    This is how I've always felt. I'm terrible at alts.

Tael had to go if I were ever going to come back and try something new, but it's hard to let go of so much history. Maybe I'm wrong and being inactive made it easier, but in a lot of ways I think it actually made it harder for me to make the decision - a lot of people retiring characters have talked about how their characters' stories are over and that's not really true of Tael. He's never really had an overarching story, I've always just done what seemed interesting at the moment. To the extent that he had an overarching purpose, it was to act as a sort of sociologist. I'm not sure he was ever a true Mhaldorian or a true Cyrenian or a true Occultist - it was almost like doing field work, which might involve immersion, but always precludes true membership.

In a lot of ways I think that reflects how I used to play pencil and paper RPGs. I used to obsess over not "metagaming" and trying to portray characters organically - just doing whatever made sense. When I play RPGs now, my focus is a lot more on building narratives, using metagaming instead of avoiding it, and thinking more like a writer than an actor. And one of the things I'm interested in trying out is a character that has more of a mission. There were two ideas I've always had for narrative arcs as a character in Achaea, but I never thought Tael was right to pursue them. So maybe I'll try that. Either way, whatever comes next is going to be a lot more thought-out and a lot less "organic".

I'm not sure where I'm going yet. Knowing so much about Achaea makes the idea of seeing a new dimension of it exciting to me, but the idea of learning the history and world of a new game is also pretty enticing. I'm also hoping to hear what the landscape of the other games is like right now and I might spend a bit of time making little alts to see how things are going in the other games.
  • edited January 2016
    To clarify, when I said Trevize's story was over, I didn't mean some overarching grand plan. Think of it like when a game ends, or a book ends - the story goes on, but you're no longer a part of it. I look at it in Achaea as Trevize is still around... he's just no longer adventuring. Probably ran off to some remote place and meditates on Ourania. Or drunk off his ass in a bar reliving his adventures to anyone that'll listen. Maybe both at once. Probably both at once.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Ephram said:
    Been a long time since I truly played Eph, and soon his retirement will be processed. To those who knew him who are still around, thank you for all the memories. 

Also, thank you @Sarapis and @Tecton for allowing me to FINALLY make a goodbye post that will stick.  ;)
    Never knew you but enjoy retirement!
  • I have plans to retire Faur, and have had plans for a while now, before the retirement bit came about. When Lord @Phaestus comes back I.G., you'll hear more. (Teasers FTW!)
  • edited February 2016
    I had big plans to retire, but it's taking too long and now I wish I could undo it. Three days later, still not approved. There should be some grace period where you can take it back or.. this should be part of the mandatory wait period before you can even fully retire it.

Anyways, my plan is to retire into Lusternia and grind towards an endgame I think I may actually like.
    I wouldn't be opposed to having someone to get adjusted with if anyone else was going there. That seems that leaving your friends and starting over alone is the hardest part.
  • It took about three days for mine, I was on pins and needles the whole time, but I felt better once it was approved. Sometimes it takes longer than others, they're just overloaded with people retiring, I think. I hope things work out for you, Kaie.
  • Kaie said:
    I had big plans to retire, but it's taking too long and now I wish I could undo it. Three days later, still not approved. There should be some grace period where you can take it back or.. this should be part of the mandatory wait period before you can even fully retire it.

Anyways, my plan is to retire into Lusternia and grind towards an endgame I think I may actually like.
    I wouldn't be opposed to having someone to get adjusted with if anyone else was going there. That seems that leaving your friends and starting over alone is the hardest part.
    You stuck with us.

• Lusternia's endgame is pretty easy to get (I got mine in 6 days of play time), and the lore is great, but the combat is hilariously imbalanced (mainly due to the admin's adamant stance on adding in skills based in a Vision, regardless of combat implications, plus the feature creep which ultimately made you need 9001+ things) and the roleplay isn't that immersive.