Crafting Questions

Because the crafting system is confusing!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    So, why do I keep getting appearance populated into my taste/smell?

This note card bears the sketch of a proposed product.
    Item type: NONE  Ingredient:   Cooked: No  Designer:
    Appearance:
    a decadent plate of chocolate-covered strawberries
    Dropped:
    Chocolate-dipped strawberries tempting, a plate of fruit is here.
    Examined:
    Arrayed in a stunning radial display, this plate is a decadent treat. Rich dark chocolate coats each strawberry in a crisp coat, with lush, ripe fruit inside, perfect for both an indulgent snack and a sinful desert. Drizzled atop the entire assortment is a lavish white chocolate, giving a stark color contrast, along with a delightful visual display.
    First Eaten:
    You pop a chocolate-covered strawberry into your mouth, savoring the decadent treat - before long, you have consumed the entire plate.
    Third Eaten:
    $eater pops a chocolate-covered strawberry into $eater_his mouth, savoring the decadent treat - before long, $eater_he has consumed the entire plate of treats.
    Taste:
    A decadent plate of chocolate-covered strawberries A nibble of some decadent chocolate-covered strawberries is transcendent, hints of cocoa and fresh fruit melding.
    Smell:
    A decadent plate of chocolate-covered strawberries The scents of rich chocolate and fresh fruit hit your nose in a tantalizing aroma.
    It has 150 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs 1 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of The Delosian Crafting Council (a denizen).
  • That is how crafting works. When describing taste or smell you just write something to tack on the end.
  • Serious or trolling? I honestly can't tell.

Are you literally saying that the skillset literally states that we do: <name> smells yummy. Why would nobody in the crafter clan say that? That seems so weak.
  • edited January 2016
    Serious. I'm sorry. But literally the shortname of the item will be the start of your taste/smell responses.

Edited out assumption because that's doesn't help anyone.
  • edited January 2016
    <imbibed too much>
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited January 2016
    That taste/smell thing has repeatedly tripped me (and our blessed reviewers) up a few times now.

When you set it on the sketch doing DESIGN SKETCH TASTE <stuff>, it very clearly says like

A bowl of fruityblergs tastes fruitilicious.

and it trips you up when you go back a few days later to make an edit, and you just blindly copy/paste the whole line and if for whatever reason, nobody happens to notice it... it'll appear on your NDS list as:

Smell
    smells fruitilicious <- notice that the item's short desc doesn't appear in this?

Taste
    A bowl of fruityblergs tastes fruitilicious with all natural flavourings.

Which still looks like it makes perfect sense at a glance until some well-meaning person does TASTE BOWL and then sees:

A bowl of fruityblergs a bowl of fruityblergs tastes fruitilicious with all natural flavourings.

It's definitely one of the clumsier parts of crafting, but just how the thing works.

• Looks like it could benefit from the @thing from emotes. You smell X, Y and Z from @thing.
  • edited January 2016
    Is it supposed to cost gold every time you submit an item, even if it's a resubmission for a correction?

Also, what determines the various gold fees (submission cost, approval cost)?
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Qwyn said:
    Is it supposed to cost gold every time you submit an item, even if it's a resubmission for a correction?

Also, what determines the various gold fees (submission cost, approval cost)?
    Yeah, the gold cost is meant as a way to make people more careful with what they are submitting. As for approval, at least with tailoring, it depends partially on the garment and what comes with it. Gems and exotic or pricey fabrics and the like are going to shoot the price upwards.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Since I was there when you were asking the question  on the crafting clan, all I can say is at least from my perspective the way you asked the question left me confused as to what you were talking about. The forums makes it easier to understand because you could post the entire problem with a visual. Hence the reason no one may have had a response for you. Not because anyone was being rude.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• What sort of range do approval fees usually cost? And how are the prices determined?

Dress A: Just silk, no gems, with a little bit of diamond dust (which I can harvest for free, so not an expensive material, right?). - 26k approval fee

Dress B: Silk and lace, studded with faceted obsidian beading - 14k approval fee

Do fees go much higher than mid-20k? I imagine they must, if you use gems as well? The costs are more expensive than I imagined, and I'm curing what the high-end is.
  • Qwyn said:
    What sort of range do approval fees usually cost? And how are the prices determined?

Dress A: Just silk, no gems, with a little bit of diamond dust (which I can harvest for free, so not an expensive material, right?). - 26k approval fee

Dress B: Silk and lace, studded with faceted obsidian beading - 14k approval fee

Do fees go much higher than mid-20k? I imagine they must, if you use gems as well? The costs are more expensive than I imagined, and I'm curing what the high-end is.
    WHATCURES FASHION:

That is not a known affliction.

:(
  • In a rejection, it states that something reads as "marketing material" - is this a term used here for crafting? What does it mean and how do I fix that?
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited February 2016
    First I've seen that in a rejection. It's probably easier if you just post the description or the line in question. 

• Qwyn said:
    In a rejection, it states that something reads as "marketing material" - is this a term used here for crafting? What does it mean and how do I fix that?
    What that usually means is that instead of describing the item you are designing for what it is, you are making it sound like marketing lingo - like an advertisement. 

In general, stick to factual description of the item and its components and you will be fine.
  • Qwyn said:
    What sort of range do approval fees usually cost? And how are the prices determined?

Silk is a pretty fancy fabric, despite how often everyone in Achaea seems to wear it! Also, diamond dust is still diamond dust. Everything is 'free' to gather in Achaea, doesn't mean it's actually free lore-wise.