A new class huh? Put your predictions here

Comments

• After this terrible ship changes roll out I'll murder a motherfucker if the next class is pirate.
  • I quite like the idea of blade-dancers - dual wielding short swords that relies on pure dexterity. 

It is probably too similar to Blademasters but I enjoy the idea of them slicing with two blades, each move setting up the next and relying on bleeding damage.

Blade Dancing  (main attack skill)

Warpaint (main defence/utility skill)

Acrobatics (utility/affliction? not too sure) 
  • You ever go into caves in D&D? you don't want near anything in there. Polearms, bows, hand crossbows.. whatever it takes to not get close.

For serious though, if you've ever been caving.. something like a polearm would get in the way so often when it comes to squeezing through and by some things. Even a bow would likely be a bit much, which is why I was also thinking of hand crossbow. (The bow would just have the perk of using existing weapons.)
    That could be pretty cash money. Rangers of the Underdark. Explorers of the black frontier. The deep places, never touched by light of sun. Nelbennir brain-pools, and slave traders (enslaved traders?) who bring them fresh brain-slaves, kidnapped from the surface, in exchange for psychic influence. Horkval hives ruled by tyrant queens who know only might and submission. Dwarf nations expanding into each other's frontiers. Elemental creatures of earth and fire, living down where it's hot, in the belly of the world. Crystal caverns. Ancient horrors buried in antediluvian days, long left to fester. Shambling Sileg and their philosophical collectives. Goblins scuttling around like vermin. Vastnesses in the deep where almighty spiders spin webs the size of cities. Bats. Beetles. Tsol'teth. This makes me want to run a D&D campaign.

What would their skills be? Survival and hunting - stepping silently, seeing in the dark, cultivating mushrooms, wiping their death-spores on your blowdarts. Dark bargains with the powers of the depths - pacts with nelbennir or spider-gods if you bring them hobos, goblin minecart races, brokering treaties between dwarf nations. And, like, scavenging? Archaeology? Or minecraft?
  • @Blujixapug Not going to lie, I'm terrified of underground shit in D&D, but I'd play the fuck out of that.
  • IC-wise, if they were to introduce gunpowder because of experiments by alchemists - gun-wielding classes like pirates and say, a Cyrenian-only class "rifleman"(?) wouldn't seem so out of place.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited January 2016
    IC-wise, if they were to introduce gunpowder because of experiments by alchemists - gun-wielding classes like pirates and say, a Cyrenian-only class "rifleman"(?) wouldn't seem so out of place.
    Cyrenian only? What exactly are they shooting their ammo at?
  • I'd be really pissed if the new class was tied to one of the spheres. I'd be slightly less annoyed if it could only be played in a city not directly pledged to Chaos, Nature, Devotion or Necromancy. Which would pretty much single out Cyrene and that other place. Even then, I'd still be annoyed.

The birth of this new class could be as rich in lore as the blademasters, and depending on the event and way it is released, have a nice place in each city. After Blujixapug's flowery description, I'd adore seeing an underdark added. The class could be a group dedicated to eradicating what lurks below. The opportunity for new bashing areas would open up. So much of their plans could wrap into this idea. An initial wave could wash through areas of sapience, leaving the areas we knew changed and torn. New players could discover just how deep the cultists drag their prey to be traded off as cattle underground.

But yeah, pirate is cool too, I guess.
  • With them mentioning the return of old enemies
    Slith-class confirmed.
  • Gunpowder of a sort has been used before in the Mythos though. A class that makes you similar to Emmett Bowing and his other engineers could be really amazing if done right. Sure, he destroyed his notes after he takes Jester's fireworks and turns them into rockets, but someone could experiment until they found the formulas. (A long range LoS move where you shoot a rocket would be really awesome.) Ultimately, I see their combat using overly complicated gadgets to do what could be done more simply...sort of a more humorous sciencey class when compared to alchemists.

• I dont see how Cyrene could get any factional class. You cant give a factional class to a place that is trying to be part of no faction. That is just silly.

I suppppose Hashan could get a factional class, but I personally think there are enough as is, and I dont really like the idea of trying to put even more restricted classes into the game. 5 are enough.
  • edited January 2016
    Asmodron said:
    I dont see how Cyrene could get any factional class. You cant give a factional class to a place that is trying to be part of no faction. That is just silly.

While I can see what you are trying to say, in and of itself that statement is rather silly. Cyrene, just as any other city, has a wealth of lore that could be used to give them something unique and tied to them (Runewarden is a fairly appropriate example lore-wise, just as Shaman is for Hashan). Not all restricted classes tie into Spheres, with the example of Alchemists who are bound to cities. I already mentioned that I personally hope the class isn't tethered to any sphere.

Just felt the need to pipe up, since apparently the notion of abstaining from rather zealous faith wars makes it seem 'silly' for your city to have anything unique.

(Just going to throw this out there. With everyone speculating a polarm class, Switzerland was neutral and had their pikemen. Cyrenian pikemen, eh, eh?)
  • -snip-
    -one hell of a pitch-
    Sir or madam, I am buying what you're selling!

But, after some thought I think the new class will probably have something to do with Azatlan or the continent associated with it. On mobile, might expound later (prob'ly not 'cause lazy.)
  • I really want a Cyrene factional skill to be TWELVETABLEFLIP
  • I am still going to multi my 3rd class slot on any existing class, cos by the time the new class is out I probably unlocked 2 new slots. 
  • People do know you can just buy extra class slots, right? You don't have to level up to get them.
  • How about a supporting class like other mmo's has? Like Healer..

before you all scream burn Gamden at the stake hear me out.
    I think i can be a nice addition to large group raids, someone with group healing abilities..short cooldown buffs to players
    Heavy reliant on int and or dex.
    Not all players can fight one on one, but throwing some healing spells at anyone on your ally list..even I can do that and will feel part in success of a fight.

Someone like this can play a a large part in success of a raid.

• @Gamden While a neat idea, that's not quite how classes are in achaea. We don't really adhere to the "holy trifecta" of the MMO genre. Each class usually is self contained with a little bit of offense, defense, utility and at least a few things that make it unique. Not shooting your idea out of the sky, but rites, runes, harmonics, formulation, vibes and healing (at least since last I played with healing) all offer group support to varying degrees. Though keep in mind our Achaean overlords have been moving away from area wide things, even removing healing's remote curing if my memory serves.

So, not saying you won't see some support, but don't expect to see a class who's purpose is devoted to it. Doubly so because a new class is huge in Achaea, and it probably won't be thrown to such a niche portion of the playerbase.
  • even removing healing's remote curing if my memory serves.

It doesn't, you can still use Healing to heal people from range.
  • I'm glad. I remember seeing something about it changing. Honestly healing was a super fun skillset to mess around with.
  • edited January 2016
    @Gamden While a neat idea, that's not quite how classes are in achaea. We don't really adhere to the "holy trifecta" of the MMO genre. Each class usually is self contained with a little bit of offense, defense, utility and at least a few things that make it unique. Not shooting your idea out of the sky, but rites, runes, harmonics, formulation, vibes and healing (at least since last I played with healing) all offer group support to varying degrees. Though keep in mind our Achaean overlords have been moving away from area wide things, even removing healing's remote curing if my memory serves.

So, not saying you won't see some support, but don't expect to see a class who's purpose is devoted to it. Doubly so because a new class is huge in Achaea, and it probably won't be thrown to such a niche portion of the playerbase.
    I actually do think it's a little more viable than it would have been in the past.

Bashing would have been a real sticking point for a class that was primarily support-oriented, but the changes make group bashing a much more reasonable thing. Except, as you point out, right now every class is pretty self-sufficient, so group hunting is still a relatively small part of the game's PvE. A support-style class is more viable than ever before and it would incentivise a gameplay pattern that the system is designed to support, but that isn't as common as it could be.

PvP-wise, it's not hard to imagine a stronger, more group-oriented support-style class. One of the historical problems with more support-oriented classes has been the attempt to keep them at least vaguely competitve 1v1 too- they couldn't be too strong for support because they were self-sufficient. If you can defend yourself and attack reasonably well, then allowing you to also substantially amplify someone else's effectiveness is sort of a balance problem. A class that couldn't defend themself well and couldn't mount an effective offense on their own wouldn't have that problem, and multiclass makes that sort of class somewhat more reasonable, since people could swap to something more offensive if they got tired of being stuck in that role. A lot of other PvP games have dedicated healers and support classes and they basically represent a strategic puzzle requiring you to prioritise targets and incapacitate the healers first. The problem with Achaea has been that Priests, for instance, were themselves hard to kill and not offensively insignificant either.

I don't think it's going to be a support class since a lot of the normal support archetypes already exist (like Priest) and a lot of classes already have very strong support skills, but it is at least more viable an idea than it's been in the past.

I also don't think that the people who want to play support classes represent a small "niche" population. Support players make up a pretty significant chunk of a lot of big MMOs. And with 15 classes already existing, 1 class that caters more explicitly to those people doesn't seem so outlandish a proposition.

I'm still hoping for the sort of class we couldn't possibly predict - something distinctive and uniquely Achaean like serpent.
  • @Tael This is not like a traditional MMO though, there are huge differencesbetween them and a MUD. As I said before, something with a support -lean- would be a appropriate, but not something dedicated to it. Priest is a fine example of a class that can be played with a supporting role, or alternatively begin absolving and bashing skulls in. I'm all for something getting a support lean and aiding abilities, but a class who's main purpose is based around helping other people excel.. just doesn't fit here.

I really dislike repeating things I said previously, so I'll skim over some of those, because I'm assuming you read them. Achaea is not like your traditional games in which a healer class is a staple requirement of the game. Each player has access to herbs, curatives, tattoos, and class skills to support themselves. Since the innate healing is available to every single player, even the classless individuals, it removes the necessity of a healer from the game.

So, you'd like to add a support still, that's cool, I'm open to ideas if they'll work. The issue is that you're left with a few neat abilities like a HoT, a shield, something to make them attack faster, add in whatever fancy stuff you can think of. The first issue that will pop up is the flesh needed for the class. Trying to think of one or two skillsets devoted to supporting another player is going to get pretty difficult, if only for one specific reason.. stepping on toes. We really need some creative new ideas introduced to the game, we don't need to see a class that feels like it is cherry picking skillsets and abilities. I don't think I'd be the only one annoyed if bardic harmonics got encroached upon just to make this other class. But looking beyond PvE, Achaean PvP is a relatively balanced system. Many of the things they have gone through balancing are some of the ridiculous combos that could be done with two players involved (See Kai cripple/vivi). So most of your buffs would have to somehow fall between the range of being noticeable in large scale combat, but small enough not to break the other little skirmishes that occur.

It's also a huge point to mention that a new class comes with a lot of weight for the game. It's going to bring people back from dormancy, drag them in from other games, have artes made for it, and have to stand shoulder to shoulder with the other classes. Realistically, a pure support class (as was suggested), wouldn't really have that pull. While you are correct that support players make up a larger niche in actual MMO games, in a MUD world, it just wouldn't really be the same feel. You don't have the same visuals when a player is going low. You don't see how you are healing them.. it's just a completely different monster.

That being said, I'm all for something with a supporting lean to it. I'd love for this class to just completely floor everyone whatever it is. There are just some concepts that, in their pure MMO form, do not really transfer over to MUDs well.
  • I for one welcome our polearm wielding overlords, and will join them at first opportunity

• Khairt said:
    I for one welcome our polearm wielding overlords, and will join them at first opportunity
    While I'm still hoping for something to expand on archery.. polearm would be a pretty sexy addition, not going to lie.
  • i hope if its pole arm class we get 'gouge' in addition to slice and jab as their base attacks.
  • Tahquil said:
    i hope if its pole arm class we get 'gouge' in addition to slice and jab as their base attacks.
    Sentinel has a gouge ability I believe.
  • It's obviously spider class.