Seafaring ship vs ship stuff

edited January 2016 in North of Thera
I'm aware Seafaring is currently being overhauled, but since I've been doing some ship to ship combat, there's a couple of issues I'd like to point out, and maybe invite other people to chime in too.

1) The ship weapons resetting each other's aiming is pretty obnoxious. I understand it's probably there to limit the effectiveness of a larger crew, but why encourage large crews with seamonsters then make them not that useful in ship vs ship?

2) It takes waaaay too long to sink a ship, even with no attempt to repair/stall the process at all. This leads me into:

3) It seems practically impossible to sink a ship  if the captain/crew is alive, has a clue, isn't solo and isn't afk. We spent like half an hour earlier just trading shots with no one making a dent at all in the other ship, and it was just leading nowhere at all. I'm pretty sure both this and point #2 are related to us being effectively limited to firing one weapon at a time, but maybe not? I understand that it should be viable to get away, but surely after an extended fight, at least one ship should be in some sort of danger. As it is the ships are just ammo sponges.

4) There's a bunch of bugs with grappling and other stuff, but I'd have to let dedicated captains discuss these, because all I saw as crew was 'this isn't working' a lot.

With more and more ships getting out into the seas now, I imagine these issues are going to pop up more and more. Seafaring is pretty interesting, so I'd love it if we could have regular ship vs ship fights in the future. Do other people agree with these issues? It's a delicate balance so that small crews and the non-combative people can still have fun while having the seas actually be dangerous if you run into a pirate, so I'd like to know what people think about these things.

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Were you using Dragon's Tears? I've been poking around to see where they stand since the first overhaul, trying to ascertain whether the new 100% accuracy effectively boosts damage output to the point that Tears are unnecessary, or the lower rate of fire has made them essential to actually deal damage. I know in the Y700 ship battle, Tears took us apart pretty quick even with at least 2 deckhands mending the hull, but that's my only anecdotal evidence, and we were a fairly inexperienced crew vs 2 Targossian ships.

Now that one guy with Weapons 5 can't dip and stock for an entire ship, Tears aren't as readily available, and so I'm trying to figure out where they stand on a scale from "they're nice to have" to "never ship v ship without them".  Depending on that, it could just be a question of whether Weapons 5 is a requirement for ship v ship or not.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    Were you using Dragon's Tears? I've been poking around to see where they stand since the first overhaul, trying to ascertain whether the new 100% accuracy effectively boosts damage output to the point that Tears are unnecessary, or the lower rate of fire has made them essential to actually deal damage. I know in the Y700 ship battle, Tears took us apart pretty quick even with at least 2 deckhands mending the hull, but that's my only anecdotal evidence, and we were a fairly inexperienced crew vs 2 Targossian ships.

Now that one guy with Weapons 5 can't dip and stock for an entire ship, Tears aren't as readily available, and so I'm trying to figure out where they stand on a scale from "they're nice to have" to "never ship v ship without them".  Depending on that, it could just be a question of whether Weapons 5 is a requirement for ship v ship or not.
    That's a good question! I don't even know what Dragon's Tears are, so I assume neither ship was using them. What are they/where do you get them?
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Dragon's Tears are some alchemical substance that Weapons 5 can dip ammo in, and it sets the target ship on fire when hit. Being on fire, naturally, deals damage over time, and stops the target from repairing flooding damage and hull damage until it's doused. It used to be that one guy with Weapons 5 could dip all your ammo ahead of time, so everyone had access to them even if they didn't max Weapons rank, but now the Weapons guy has to dip the ammo at the point of loading, so only Weapons 5 can actually use them. (Though one Weap 5 could technically play loader for multiple shooters without; interesting thought.) I would not be surprised if Admin designed Tears to be essential to ship combat with the overhaul, to force people to actually focus Weapons 5 now, since it was pretty meaningless before. (You could take Weap 5, dip 100x ammo, then re-spec down to Weap 3 to get important abilities elsewhere, was the real exploit)

For science, you should message the folks that came out to fight you, get both sides equipped with Tears, and meet up for a rematch! Could be that they make all the difference, or it could be that the lower rate of fire gives the target plenty of time to DOUSE/RAINSTORM if they know what they're doing, and damage output really is too low. I actually don't know exactly how/where to get them; Zanzibaar, pretty sure.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • We got set on fire a few times but by the time the next volley came in we had doused long ago. Like, we even started the fight at 50% hull and that didn't do anything. Would be worth testing specifically how long a ship can last with dragon's tears ammo shooting at it, though. Do you get infinite ammo in ship arena?
  • edited January 2016
    No we were not using dragon tears. The damage abilities on the move are pretty terrible. The amount of healing a ship can do vs. damage output is just not really feasible unless you can keep someone locked down. The fact that you can only use, ultimately, one damaging ammunition type is really crippling for pvp without forceboarding. I do think it would have to be a really delicate balance, but right now it just seems incredibly weak on the offensive side. There are tons of means of lockdown and slow down, but unless you're on a ship alone (which isn't particularly smart with these changes!) then you'll ultimately be able to wiggle your away elsewhere.

These are some of the bugs we encountered that were real problems, which have been problems in the past, and I was asked to get some logs, but I just didn't. I really don't have a big enough buffer and I sure as hell wasn't going to stop mid fight and grab a log. But!

A- Grappling doesn't work ....randomly? I don't know. It says 'you can't grapple a ship while it's moving' over and over but really, 90% of the time when that's being echoed back, nobody is moving and is very, very assuredly stopped.

B- Boarding decks are still bugged. They aren't shooting over crates anymore, so that's a plus! But there were bugs with chopping deck where randomly, for a very random amount of time, everyone on the ship was getting a return echo of 'you already have a deck in your hands, try using that!' when none of us had a deck. 

The fact that forceboard basically necessary unless you managed like... a two hour long maybe? relentless chase... that's not a good thing. That's not fun for anyone, I wouldn't think. Or you would just have to rely on someone being incredibly inept.

• Typical Mhaldorians, only have fun when they're winning. Get better and this won't be a problem.

Thread dismissed.

• Kafziel said:
    Typical Mhaldorians, only have fun when they're winning. Get better and this won't be a problem.

Thread dismissed.

Well, considering we sunk two of their ships I would say this post is an inaccurate statement.

• Yes, ship combat was made even worse. I could see that just by looking at the change log which is why I'm still inactive. There is nothing worth testing because damn near everything was broken on the offensive side of things and all the defensive abilities are still stacked together.
  • To be actually serious, I think firing a weapon should increase the aim time of other weapons, not reset it. That way you get diminishing returns but it's worth having more than one gunner. I don't ship combat though so maybe I don't understand it well enough.
  • edited January 2016
    Was involved in the battle being discussed. We were using Dragon's Tears, didn't make a dent. Mhaldorians eventually boarded after we fought for, like, half an hour.

@Kiet You should have been on fire constantly, since I was using the thrower and firing flares at you. That might be a bug.
  • edited January 2016
    Ah, if you guys were using Dragon's Tears then yeah that makes no difference. We even started at 50% hull as I said and we were gaining hull health rather than losing it.
  • Everyone was on fire. But we have rainstorm and buckets and floods. It's not like putting out a fire is too much work.

• Kinilan said:
    It's pretty bad when TARAUS is saying "Fuck it, time to forceboard."

That's like Estach going on a diet.

Oh man, an Estach joke. :lol:   You made my day Kinilan.
  • We where circling each other for like an hour,trading shots..our hull never went under 90%

Then half of Mhaldor boarded us
    Also forgot to set shipreturn to my own ship O.o...The ship battle itself was a stalemate..it would have gone no where

• Gamden said:
    We where circling each other for like an hour,trading shots..our hull never went under 90%

Also forgot to set shipreturn to my own ship O.o...The ship battle itself was a stalemate..it would have gone no where
    Well, I mean, I know we have a small playerbase but I didn't know 4 = half of Mhaldor

• Saeva said:
    Gamden said:
    We where circling each other for like an hour,trading shots..our hull never went under 90%

Well, I mean, I know we have a small playerbase but I didn't know 4 = half of Mhaldor
    To be fair, looking at your ungemmed QWHO, four people does seem to be half of Mhaldor sometimes.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• We are small, but we are mighty!  :o

• Not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean. >.>
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Saeva said:
    Gamden said:

I was punched in the face so many times i thought it was 30 people

• Sounds liek sex with grandma.
  • Gamden said:
    Saeva said:
    Gamden said:

I was punched in the face so many times i thought it was 30 people
    Kinilan said:
    Sounds liek sex with grandma.
    TIL @Kinilan's grandma likes to play rough.
  • Catch me up.  Are we saying they broke something? 4 people on a strider couldn't sink another strider that started at 50% hull health?
  • edited January 2016
    Also the weapons resetting is still a thing? Can all fire on seamonsters without the reset. 
  • Morthif said:
    Catch me up.  Are we saying they broke something? 4 people on a strider couldn't sink another strider that started at 50% hull health?
    Yes, something's broken. It was 6 or 7 people on a strider, and they couldn't sink us even though we were at 50% hull health and a big seamonster (rather than the tiny baby ones) was hitting us for the first half of the fight at the same time.
  • Sigh. And I thought my Galley was being viable again. 
  • Sea monsters don't reset weapons for some reason, but ship vs ship it does. Means it's basically useless to have more than 1 weapons person, and 1 weapon isn't enough damage to outpace repair.
  • Yep. Means a galley is useless Ship v Ship. I can run away easy so long as I don't have to turn. 
  • Actually, using steadygoing did seem to reduce the aim reset by a lot. So, there's that.
  • Not by enough to make actually denting our hull possible!