Character retirement

Comments

• Eek. That's good to know at least.
  • edited January 2016
    It has come up several times over that people don't understand why we can't put credits into established characters. My thought on the matter is that part of the point is to flush out some of the stagnancy and narcissism that exists in old characters that cling to power for real life years.

It will do every IRE game a helluva lotta good to see some of those older characters relinquishing their titles so the proverbial pot can be stirred up a bit. Change is good! Though I sincerely doubt some players will want to relinquish their IG power base, I can honestly say I'm really hoping to see some of the older characters that never change and merely stick around to hold onto city/house positions throw in the towel and start anew.

To me what this really comes down to is that there are those of us that have had characters whose stories have beyond run their course. These characters had no more story left without being utterly redundant or simply feeling awkward, like a fish out of water. I have now personally retired 8 characters across Aetolia, Imperian, Lusternia, and Achaea. They were a culmination of over a decade of game time. I am considering retiring two more. Awesome option and I for one am glad for it. (I am also not-so-secretly hoping that the cap dips down to 500 credits for retirement eligibility within the next 30 days but can imagine the workload of the various Gardens presently.)

• Lucianus said:
    180 players online. Invasion of supernewbs. It's awesome! Give it 1 or 2 months for everyone to get their bearings and amazing stuff will happen left and right. :)
    Yes this. Also... Aetolia has an artifact that lets you forge documents to change your date of birth/age on your honors. The world would no longer be overrun with an Achaean Baby Boom (we're all looking at you Cyrene), at least by way of appearances. Ages would range from 18 to... however old the oldest player is? I'm so down for adopting this in Achaea. Supernoobs would be more like where's Waldo that way! 

• I just IC assume Targ had gotten a deluge of trust fund babies. In my day we had to work for our credits!
  • Tibitha said:
    I just IC assume Targ had gotten a deluge of trust fund babies. In my day we had to work for our credits!
    I still have to work on my credits. O' course it's a bit quicker with the dragon bashing but it's a bit horrible once you start lookin' at the maths and seeing that you'll need to hunt for 80 hours just to buy a pair of level 1 gauntlets :dizzy: 
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Tibitha said:
    I just IC assume Targ had gotten a deluge of trust fund babies. In my day we had to work for our credits!
    I have to work for my gold! All those credits were bound, might I add!
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
  • I created a Priest while bored at work in the few days before Christmas and New Year, which I was planning to move over retirement credits to.. but don't fancy being part of that bandwagon... B)

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    I created a Priest while bored at work in the few days before Christmas and New Year, which I was planning to move over retirement credits to.. but don't fancy being part of that bandwagon... B)
    Change it to magi!
  • Valysha said:
    Tibitha said:

Haha, I meant IC trust funds, as in your character is a trust fund baby.
  • Technically they did work for those credits.
  • Tibitha said:
    Valysha said:
    Tibitha said:

She's saying her character still has to work for gold to buy vials, enchantments, etc. because she only has bound credits, not gold, from retirement. 

I was surprised so many went priest. I imagine all us priests were, since we all did it about the same time. Not enough pre-choice info to be a real bandwagon.

I probably would've gone something different if I knew Targossas was going to have 90,000 priests. Ah well! I like my angel.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Priest is the best class. 
  • Farrah said:
    Tibitha said:
    Valysha said:
    Tibitha said:

She's saying her character still has to work for gold to buy vials, enchantments, etc. because she only has bound credits, not gold, from retirement. 

I was surprised so many went priest. I imagine all us priests were, since we all did it about the same time. Not enough pre-choice info to be a real bandwagon.

I probably would've gone something different if I knew Targossas was going to have 90,000 priests. Ah well! I like my angel.
    Ah, reading comprehension 1/10 apparently. Sorry!
  • Tibitha said:
    Farrah said:
    Tibitha said:
    Valysha said:
    Tibitha said:

Ah, reading comprehension 1/10 apparently. Sorry!
    I would have went with a different class as well, if I had known so many others were going to be priest, but like you said...I like my angel too!
  • I believe most people are going/starting as Priest because it's the best bashing for the cost.  If I remember Sena said a Level 1 artie mace is a 25% DPS increase in bashing, which is absurd.
  • Citrus said:
    I believe most people are going/starting as Priest because it's the best bashing for the cost.  If I remember Sena said a Level 1 artie mace is a 25% DPS increase in bashing, which is absurd.
    But what about those of us who came from another IRE MUD? WE didn't know priest was the best bashing class, or best at anything!
  • I didn't go it for bashing either. I just wanted to play a Targossian and thought "priest." More of an RP decision.
  • Quick everyone make deliver triggers that don't respect a city location!

gogogo deliver roulette 
  • Farrah said:
    I didn't go it for bashing either. I just wanted to play a Targossian and thought "priest." More of an RP decision.
    Exactly why I thought I'd give it a try. And coming from being a Diabolist in Imperian; I thought I'd try the opposite.
  • just QUIT CLASS PRIEST CONFIRM. Quick, easy, and you'll be a better person for it
  • Shhh, stop talking about the awesome DPS before it gets nerfed! :P
  • Priest is definitely getting nerfed but I imagine bashing dps is most people's last concern with it so you're good there for a while probably!
  • Biggest rave about retirement is that I've seen more than a dozen people log in after RL years of inactivity (presumably to retire) and just start playing a character again.
  • Jeslyn said:
    I'm quite pleased for the option to "kill of my Darling", while I have not left Achaea (can't leave my alt, love her city too much)... I felt that my main had such a rollercoaster life that she spun out of the concept I wrote her into. Instead of constantly trying to reinvent or rewrite, the ability to close her chapter did a lot for me. Also it gave me a chance to try out other games, I'm truly loving Aetolia. :)
    You retired Jeslyn! :open_mouth: 
  • So, I remembered an old character I have, but I'm short of credits to retire him:

3611h, 2898m, 15800e, 14645w ex-retire value
    This character is not eligible for retirement. You would need to increase its worth by 295 credits.

Would it be worth buying the 300cr package to put him over the limit, then retire? Is this going to be a 50% as per the help file?   Just wonder if buying 300cr then retiring would give me around 500cr in real terms for a new character 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Sobriquet said:
    So, I remembered an old character I have, but I'm short of credits to retire him:

3611h, 2898m, 15800e, 14645w ex-retire value
    This character is not eligible for retirement. You would need to increase its worth by 295 credits.

Would it be worth buying the 300cr package to put him over the limit, then retire? Is this going to be a 50% as per the help file?   Just wonder if buying 300cr then retiring would give me around 500cr in real terms for a new character 
    There's that no brainer package, don't forget.
    Huh. Neat.