Seafaring PVE

Comments

• Kinilan said:
    Jarrod said:
    Adjusting your spyglass for greater detail, you see:
    This ship is large but sleek in design, able to cut nimbly through the waves despite its size. Manned 
    by a motley but efficient looking crew, the ship is equipped with an onager, ballista, and Arcanian 
    arm thrower: sufficient weaponry to intimidate any ship caught unawares.
    A pirate ship is bleeding lightly from shallow wounds.

Just found this one!
    ...One of you is a fucking traitor.
    PIrates ships can bleed? :anguished: 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere

Actually that's a lie. D:

I dunno what you guys did with the monsters, but everything is awful now. Everything. Stuff that was do-able with strategy 24 hours ago has now been turned into an unreasonable curbstomp battle. Except the baby monsters, but those are also awful because they're not worth the ammo and time you throw at them. D:

• Ellodin, Shirszae, and I got shot at by a war galley (sea monster) somewhere last night. According to Ellodin, it hit us for 20% with each attack. I don't think we spyglass'd it, though.  O.o
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
  • I think I understand what the Garden is doing in terms of the economics here. Since the whole system is new, keeping the rewards small and then increasing them bit by bit makes more sense than starting off big and scaling them back, which always upsets people. Shows experienced thinking. 

That being said, the rewards are pretty bad for the time investment/risk involved on most of the seamonsters. I admit I haven't killed one of the super big legendary ones yet so I don't know what they are like. The novelty of hunting them is strong right now but if this is meant to be a regular seafaring activity, it's going to need to pay just a little bit better, or maybe the price of ammo needs to come down just a bit. 

Overall the implementation seems pretty solid and I admit that some of my original concerns expressed in other threads have proven unfounded. The placement of the monsters does not appear to mess up other seafaring activities. If I have one complaint about the system though, it is that you don't want to move around while you fight them for fear of them vanishing... although looking over the latest announcement maybe that was already taken care of?
  • Its an interesting challenge but yeah rewards are nowhere near what Greys would get if he just went hunting and far more risky. He is having fun but needs to get more people on board if he is is going to have a chance to take out the bigger stuff. That being said, the range on the spyglass's scan is really small and our ability to look at a distance is lost. I would really prefer it the old way if I can no longer have my INFO <DIR>. Otherwise, I'm in most monster's attack range before I can ID them.
  • Greys said:
    Its an interesting challenge but yeah rewards are nowhere near what Greys would get if he just went hunting and far more risky. He is having fun but needs to get more people on board if he is is going to have a chance to take out the bigger stuff.
    Specifically more Striders or preferably Galleys, I assume, given that Cutters would probably go down in one shot against some of the bigger things.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Well, we threw two ships at one of the shraymor to kill it last year. Three or four attempts with a single ship didn't cut it.  The Sargassums took multiple ships. Granted both of those were events. It would feel super lame though if you could single ship everything.

This is monster hunting. Giant ass sea monsters larger and stronger than damn near anything on land. Not Ship bashing.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited January 2016
    My issue right now is that only the ship getting the last hit gets any reward at all. And thats on top of the gold being relatively insignificant even for a ship alone. To make it worthwhile versus the risk of sinking (specially once harbours start charging again for salvaging) they will need to up the gold for the stronger monsters, and it'd be nice if the experience was shared amongst all the ships as well, same as experience is shared amongst all the crew of a single ship right now.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited January 2016
    You also have to take into consideration how often / likely it is for the player base to put such a crew (or multiple crews) together on a regular (non-event) basis.  If the likelihood is low,  then you'll just wind up with another underused feature much like how seafaring eventually devolved into most people speccing for single ship ultra defensive sailing despite all original intent for it to be a real group activity.

Grandiosity and coolness aside,  practicality in execution is also a factor, at the end of the day. You shouldn't be able to take on monsters in a solo crewed strider (or cutter for that matter), but you should be able to take at least mid to starting upper tier with the most common permutation of player-crew size for a strider. 

• edited January 2016
    Skye said:
    You also have to take into consideration how often / likely it is for the player base to put such a crew (or multiple crews) together on a regular (non-event) basis.  If the likelihood is low,  then you'll just wind up with another underused feature much like how seafaring eventually devolved into most people speccing for single ship ultra defensive sailing despite all original intent for it to be a real group activity.

Grandiosity and coolness aside,  practicality in execution is also a factor, at the end of the day. You shouldn't be able to take on monsters in a solo crewed strider (or cutter for that matter), but you should be able to take at least mid to starting upper tier with the most common permutation of player-crew size for a strider. 
    A very good post Skye.

I'm concerned about the two sided development going on here. On the one side, making player crew members required to kill the really big seamonsters is a good thing IF the rewards justify it for everyone involved. After all, if you know their spawning zones, you can go kill them with a group of friends whenever it works out for peoples playing schedules.

But on the other side, there is how these changes are going to affect the mechanics of ship to ship combat. If everyone on a ship can fire a weapon at the same time, you'll have combat boil down to one round auto-locks. And that isn't fun. In that situation, the aggressor gets a group together to go hunt victims whenever the playing schedules of those involved happen to sync up. The victims however will almost always be alone since the economics of seafaring make it pretty unrealistic to go out with a player crew on a regular basis. Not to mention the OOC scheduling. Its one thing if you are out to actively hunt other ships, but its another to keep people entertained while fishing or trading. Those simply aren't fun group activities and they aren't rewarding for a group.

Solo play is the dominate style on the seas, with occasional team-ups. Building around any other expectation is unrealistic. With cutters being deemed "useless" by most of the playerbase at the moment, I'd hate to see striders go the same way for solo captains. I think that would be the final nail, as they say.
  • edited January 2016
    Shirszae said:
    My issue right now is that only the ship getting the last hit gets any reward at all. And thats on top of the gold being relatively insignificant even for a ship alone. To make it worthwhile versus the risk of sinking (specially once harbours start charging again for salvaging) they will need to up the gold for the stronger monsters, and it'd be nice if the experience was shared amongst all the ships as well, same as experience is shared amongst all the crew of a single ship right now.
    I know absolutely nothing about ship stuff yet, but is there an option to form ship "parties" akin to how you can have a bashing party? If you could group multiple ships into an Armada, you could have Armadachat and split xp and stuff, perhaps?

----

Regarding ship stuff in general, is it similar to Lusternia's aetherships? That used to be a really fun group bashing option, and even newbies could hop in, tangibly help (versus just sitting leeching) and benefit. How is it the same/different? I'm guessing it's not as friendly to newbies, as the skillset seems hidden (not on AB, HELP SEAFARING doesn't say how to get it).
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Qwyn said:
    Shirszae said:
    I know absolutely nothing about ship stuff yet, but is there an option to form ship "parties" akin to how you can have a bashing party? If you could group multiple ships into an Armada, you could have Armadachat and split xp and stuff, perhaps?

----

Regarding ship stuff in general, is it similar to Lusternia's aetherships? That used to be a really fun group bashing option, and even newbies could hop in, tangibly help (versus just sitting leeching) and benefit. How is it the same/different? I'm guessing it's not as friendly to newbies, as the skillset seems hidden (not on AB, HELP SEAFARING doesn't say how to get it).
    Take a look at HELP MARQUE
    Huh. Neat.
  • picaroon macaroon

And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
    This is a silly idea of sorts, but would the Garden consider implementing a RANKINGS SEAMONSTERS sort of thing? I think it'd add a whole new layer of competitiveness to it, and it'd make sense since you take trophies from the monsters you defeat. 

Could be something like, 1.5x points to whoever is commanding the ship, 1x points to whoever assist. It could be more complicated, of course, and the points would ideally vary, less for the easier monsters, more for the harder ones, but in case I think it'd be fun.

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Shirszae said:
    This is a silly idea of sorts, but would the Garden consider implementing a RANKINGS SEAMONSTERS sort of thing? I think it'd add a whole new layer of competitiveness to it, and it'd make sense since you take trophies from the monsters you defeat. 

Could be something like, 1.5x points to whoever is commanding the ship, 1x points to whoever assist. It could be more complicated, of course, and the points would ideally vary, less for the easier monsters, more for the harder ones, but in case I think it'd be fun.
    I really dig this idea. I, personally, would have far more interest in accumulating and keeping the trophies (I don't even know if this is possible) than I would reaping the tangible (gold/experience) benefits from monster hunting, and a rankings system is another method of achieving this.

Alternatively - we have the plaque dude in Thera who will mount a fish for you - is there any possible way we could get something of a display case for the various seamonster trophies? Or perhaps release something in SoW that lets you collect and display the whole set?

• You'll have to let us get through testing and the balancing phase before we start adding vanity related extras!
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    But appearances are everything!

Who cares whether or not it works if it looks good?

(kidding, of course - I meant this to get added way down the to-do list, after functionality has been adjusted accordingly)

• Shirszae said:

How about ranking ships instead of people?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Ah yeah that'd be cool, kinda like how you can take prize fish to New Thera to be preserved.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• ANNOUNCE NEWS #4506
    Date: 01/25/2016 at 16:37
    To : Everyone
    Subj: Seamonster/Ship Changes

- Killing seamonsters will now grant crewmate experience to denizen crews, in addition to shipmate experience.

- Denizen crew experience from seamonster kills will now be shared amongst all ships that have recently participated (by firing a weapon at the seamonster) in the fight against the seamonster.

- Adventurer experience from seamonster kills will now be shared amongst all ships that have recently participated in the kill, divided amongst the adventurers who participated in seamonster combat.

- Adventurers will now be eligible for seamonster experience by: loading a weapon, firing a weapon, invoking a useful seaspell, executing a navigational command, dousing a fire on deck, dousing a fire in the sails, clearing a weapon, clearing the figurehead, or clearing the sails, 

- Ship weapons can no longer be fired at a seamonster multiple times simultaneously.

- Firing a ship weapon will no longer completely reset the aiming time of other weapons on the ship; it will now only add a few seconds on to the remaining aiming time.

- Firing a ship weapon against a seamonster will now incur the same aiming loss to other ship weapons as if the weapon had been fired against another ship.

Interesting and I like being able to give experience to those that help in other ways. Thanks!
  • Going to need to test and hear feedback on firing changes. Everything else is great
    Has anyone else confirmed whether people actually receive or not experience from clearing sails after killing a Seamonster? I took someone with me for a few hunts but she gained nothing whatsoever

• After? I doubt they would. They'd need to clear sails during the fight with the sea monster to be eligible for experience when it dies.
    Antonius said:
    After? I doubt they would. They'd need to clear sails during the fight with the sea monster to be eligible for experience when it dies.
    I suppose I worded it poorly. I meant -checking- after the seamonster is dead. Obviously, sails where cleared while it was kicking about.

• edited January 2016
    What sea monster? How many people were on the ship? What level were they?

Edit: Also did they clear sails fully? I know I was getting tripped up on clearing the rigging because I thought the second message meant the job was done but really there was a few more seconds to go.