How are the other games going?

13»

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kasya said:
    Yes. Not in the help files yet I don't think. But it's a thing.

Edit: Here's the announce post, @Ahmethttp://www.achaea.com/game/news/Achaea/Announce/4456
    I just realized all my decayed vials of stuff went into my rift.

@Tecton @sarapis @makarios you're all beautiful fucking people who deserve to be happy forever.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Should implement all the good stuff QOL in other games into Achaea. Pls...
  • Kasya said:
    Yes. Not in the help files yet I don't think. But it's a thing.

Edit: Here's the announce post, @Ahmethttp://www.achaea.com/game/news/Achaea/Announce/4456
    Wow wtf how did I not know about this either, been back to Achaea for like a week and ever day I learn about more huge changes to the game.  Loving it.
  • All I heard in that entire post was 'Carnifex'.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2016
    I've played all the IRE games. All of them are underpopulated, in my opinion, except Achaea. With people retiring their characters and migrating to these other games, maybe that will change. I hope so! It makes you wonder what it will mean for Achaea though. Will we lose people or gain some new players? I remember when Lusternia opened up to everyone. So many Achaeans played Beta that we lost 3/4 of our population. You could log in here and there would be maybe 25-50 people around in total. I'd hate to see that happen again - although a vacuum like that exists for long, and in the end it did bring some interesting changes to Achaea for a while.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    The only thing I know about Lusternia is that someone on their forums stole my forums sig.
  • @Bluef So far the change has resulted in a surge in population here, from what I've seen.
  • Szanthax said:
    Valysha said:
    I used to play Imperian for a while, up until two years ago. I had stopped MUDs altogether, taking a break and just relaxing with a simple, but popular MMO, up until literally this week, when I check an older email of mine, seeing this new retirement thing. I thought, you know, I'd give it a shot. I am needing a break from this simple gaming stuff anyhow, and here I am. First time in Achaea, first time playing any MUD in roughly two years, and I must say, I am already hooked! The population is great, the people are lovely, and there is plenty to do! And my favorite...Roleplay!

Oh yeah! The population in Imperian has always been rather small compared to the other IRE muds and it seemed to be in the same state as it was before. (30-70 people.) You'll see quite a bit less on qw, as 90% of the Imperians have plenty of artifacts.

So, how is it here? Has the population always been around 150-200? That's what I have been seeing for the past few days that I have been playing.
    Just wanted to let you know @Valysha , my interactions with you have been amazing. 

Infact there have been a fair amount of our newer players that just made things very enjoyable. I know i don't know everything... or even a lot... or most things. but just being able to answer questions that are simple to me but not to a brand new player just makes the experience very enjoyable. :) Thanks!
    Aww, that's really awesome to hear! I'll be sure to keep bugging you with many more questions in game! You're awesome, Szanthax, and a huge help! 

Everyone I have met thus far, are wonderful individuals! I look forward to many moments and memories here.
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
  • Antonius said:
    @Bluef So far the change has resulted in a surge in population here, from what I've seen.
    Yeah, I have a pretty strong suspicion that the population is consolidating itself in Achaea more than it's spreading out. 
  • Beyond that, there is a certain draw to smaller playerbases. Easier to be recognised, and smaller communities tend to have a tighter-knit feel. I don't know how much that's the case in the other games, but Lusternia definitely had that for me. Not for everyone (hence smaller!) but definitely a niche.
    In one of the other games, which I will keep anonymous, the smaller player base also leads to a gross amount of metagaming by way of a drove of OOC clans wherein there is no IC character boundaries. When I weigh out which game I want to invest my time and money in, I tend to keep coming back to Achaea because a larger player base will almost always trump the best "pros" I can come up with for the other games. More players means a chance (mind you not a fool proof one) that there will be less OOC power gambling with cliques that decide who gets positions in game, and who gets harassed to the point of quitting which sadly happens quite frequently. I have never understood why people feel the need to create OOC clans or form Skype posses, it completely kills roleplay and character development and is the first step toward a toxic environment that is neither welcoming to truly new players, nor fruitful for current ones.

That said, there are a dozen things I love about the different games.

I absolutely love the server side curing in Imperian. It was amazing from the get go. I seriously dislike that they have always been so PK heavy and that they killed off all of the Gods. That just felt... completely anti-IRE to me. But as it's been mentioned the player base is pretty small. Also the players have a more gritty feel. I would never recommend someone to Imperian that wants a fluffy welcoming feel, because you're just not going to get that in Imperian. (Maybe that's changed but I sincerely doubt it.)

Aetolia has fantastic options for bashing that feel fluid from one leveling tier to the next, not to mention their bashing instance that guarantees something to kill at end game levels that revolves on a timer for a respawn. The havens are pretty awesome also, though they can thin the population considerably. You may see 60 people online, but 25 of them may be camped out in their haven. I really like some of the wares you can get from the bloody coins, and I have almost always liked the items that come out of their giftbag-like promos as they are more directly useful and less "collection" oriented. Aetolia also has some really interesting class options. One of my favorite things about Aetolia has always been, and will likely remain, the interaction between the Garden (Gods) and the players. I like that it is easy to get God RP there, and that you don't always have to go seeking it out, but that there is a damn good chance it'll randomly find you.

Lusternia. I. Love. Influencing. The fact that they offer an option to level without ever killing a single thing is an amazing concept and I love it. Bashing is bashing is bashing. Influencing gave a different feel to leveling than just going and killing stuff... again. Plus, it's an avenue for income at end game. I also LOVE how many quests they have that range in difficulty from mind-numbingly easy to bang-your-head-against-the-wall difficult. I dislike the numerous organizations that thin out the fairly small population way too much. Also, as interesting a concept as it is, multiple planes are a pain in the ass. It can be hard enough to learn the map of a single continent, but add in layers that can run several deep and it just gets obnoxious at times especially when various organizations lay claim to various planes. Yes, that's for conflict, but it's still annoying.

The cons for Achaea for me are pretty small. The chief among them is that the classes are largely the same thing the game started with. But that can't be much of a gripe since Achaea was the IRE flagship and these are the classes that molded the game. Once upon a time they were new and exciting. Now they've been around for a long time and I have become used to them, so they don't thrill me, but that's more a "tried them all" thing and not a fault of Achaea's. I do like that Achaea is constantly trying to improve classes and what not, like taking out trade skills from being class specific and making them optional for anyone, and adding in new skills. I guess the thing with Achaea is that there is a reason it maintains the largest player base.

No matter what, I look forward to seeing the deck shuffled up a bit!

• Come to Imperian! Good crowd, good conflict. Pretty much permanent double xp (Achievements you can activate X hours upon completing quests), I'm hitting Aspect (Dragon) within the week!

There's a neat event going on now, too :) And classleads are open until the 25th, so you can try it out for 3 days, and see if you want something changed!

Beware, I'm getting pretty good at combat. Everything hurts, though :(
  • I definitely used to really enjoy the differences Imperian has, leveling up finish by ACTUALLY fishing was one of the coolest things in an IRE game.  You actually get better at a skill by using a skill, how intuitive.  Not to mention that you can make a lot of gold fishing at higher skill levels.  I believe my character is one of the youngest to trans fishing over there because it's all I did at first.

Same with Influencing in Lusternia like Ashelynne said, it's a brilliant system.  Bashing without bashing, and more profitable than bashing too.
  • edited January 2016
    Re: @Sefnir

Seir was awesome.

Re: Aetolia

The new Diablo 3 season started, so haven't IRE'd at all these last few weeks. I'm not sure if anyone else touched on this yet, but the economy on Aetolia seems to have restabilized with credits currently going at 6000 gold per (with recent average sale price going at 5125). If people are still considering trying the game but aren't sure if it's worth their retirement credits, at least go check it out. Thirty days is a fair bit longer than the original fourteen to get a feel for the game. Levelling up is a fair bit easier (as in, a lot easier), so someone familiar with the IRE games should be able to get to endgame in that time easily.
  • I play MKO. I get to do what I can't do here, which is have a sweet, silly character who is a member in good standing of the "bad guys" faction. In fact, she even found an IC hubby who's doing the same thing! And there is laughter for all. Unless you play Malapardis. Then you are all leafy, and my character has been having her almost 50 breedable horses water you. And fertilise!
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • Boosteya said:
    I play MKO. I get to do what I can't do here, which is have a sweet, silly character who is a member in good standing of the "bad guys" faction. In fact, she even found an IC hubby who's doing the same thing! And there is laughter for all. Unless you play Malapardis. Then you are all leafy, and my character has been having her almost 50 breedable horses water you. And fertilise!
    You can breed horses?! 

I wish that I either had more time or they just rolled all these features into one game. :confounded: