Character retirement

Comments

• There's no way to determine what's an OOC credit and what's an IC credit for the command, at least. Maybe that's one of those things they're checking manually as part of the retirement process.
  • @Dortheron I just had to point out the relationship between character retirement and your theme song.... no retiring until they agree to incorporate it into your honors FOREVER.

Rip Renshi

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited January 2016
    Mine took a few days and one of my characters' values in the end was higher than what the RETIRE VALUE command predicted, if I recall, so I imagine they're going through a lot of things manually.

(Which is kind of awesome. The level of time, commitment, and follow-through by admins on this is really wonderful. Thank you for implementing it and being so thorough about working out all the kinks.)
  • Sobriquet said:
    Does gold held and items in the rift count towards the character trade in cost? Only ask because mine has around 300k on him and pretty 2000 of everything in the rift, if it doesn't count i'll find a way of giving it out.
    I don't think it counts.
  • Gold/comms/inks/valuables/etc. don't count, I checked. Best thing to do is sell everything, then buy as many credits as possible, so that they end up counting.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Do we receive another email once the first 24-48 hour wait is up? 
  • Austere said:
    Do we receive another email once the first 24-48 hour wait is up? 
    Nope, once you start the wait period, you just have to remember to log in and do it.

The only second email you get is when the character has been officially retired and the credits put into the retirement pool for that email address.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Trevize said:
    Xexir said:
    Hello, hijacking the thread here to ask a quick question. In other IRE games (or Imperian, at least) you're able to add retirement credits to a character as many times as you'd like up to the 30 day mark; however, I noticed here that you're warned that you may only commit credits to a character once. This has made me hesitate in case I really enjoy the character and want to dump more of my retirement funds in the next few weeks...

@Tecton Is this discrepancy intentional (and/or likely to remain in place)? Thanks in advance!
    Not sure if the fix hasn't been implemented or if the warning was just forgotten, but iirc Sarapis (Matt, guy who runs IRE) said they'll be able to add as many times as they want.
    Where does it say that you can only do it once?
  • Tecton said:
    Trevize said:
    Xexir said:
    Hello, hijacking the thread here to ask a quick question. In other IRE games (or Imperian, at least) you're able to add retirement credits to a character as many times as you'd like up to the 30 day mark; however, I noticed here that you're warned that you may only commit credits to a character once. This has made me hesitate in case I really enjoy the character and want to dump more of my retirement funds in the next few weeks...

@Tecton Is this discrepancy intentional (and/or likely to remain in place)? Thanks in advance!
    Not sure if the fix hasn't been implemented or if the warning was just forgotten, but iirc Sarapis (Matt, guy who runs IRE) said they'll be able to add as many times as they want.
    Where does it say that you can only do it once?
    When my wife tried yesterday, it was in the 'retire credits transfer' iirc? Possibly just retire credits. She's asleep so I can't check atm. May have been fixed since, but Xexir's comment made me think it hasn't.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Unless it has been updated from when I transferred credits. It is the message that comes up when you enter the retire credits transfer command that asks you to confirm.
  • I really love Taraus's idea.

I also like the idea of getting rid of houses and returning plots to MoD of retired players - this could put a small dent in the issue of dormant players and subs sprawl.  On the other hand, if people built with someone else, it could potentially cause issues for spouses/kids/etc. Thoughts?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Aereidhna said:
    I really love Taraus's idea.

I also like the idea of getting rid of houses and returning plots to MoD of retired players - this could put a small dent in the issue of dormant players and subs sprawl.  On the other hand, if people built with someone else, it could potentially cause issues for spouses/kids/etc. Thoughts?
    Either turn over the property anyways and let the remaining family rebuild for themselves, or have a way to leave something to an "heir."
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:

Either turn over the property anyways and let the remaining family rebuild for themselves, or have a way to leave something to an "heir."
    Would be neat if you could transfer entire houses that way. My char didn't have anyone to turn things over to, and the presence of an artefact bed prevented destroying the property and transferring the plot in my case.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Aereidhna said:
    Kayeil said:

Would be neat if you could transfer entire houses that way. My char didn't have anyone to turn things over to, and the presence of an artefact bed prevented destroying the property and transferring the plot in my case.
    The option to turn it over to a clan could be a potential possibility, too.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• How does retirement work with "artifacts" that don't have values? For example, I bought stockings in Lusternia, so my character there has Czignay coins and curios. Do I have to sell them off in order for them to be included in my character's value?
    Qwyn said:
    How does retirement work with "artifacts" that don't have values? For example, I bought stockings in Lusternia, so my character there has Czignay coins and curios. Do I have to sell them off in order for them to be included in my character's value?
    Yeah, they don't have a trade-in value, so they'll need to be trade/sold to other players for credits in order to count.
  • edited January 2016
    Curios in Lusternia can't be sold off or traded in, nor can Czignay coins. In the same vein, how do artifacts purchased with dingbats/iron coins/mayan crowns/etc work?
    We offer a small trade-in value for items purchased with Mayan crowns here.
  • Mayan crown items in Achaea have a really low tradein value, I think. Something like 10 credits regardless of the original price.

No idea about other games.
  • Xinna said:
    Kayeil said:
    Just an idea, if any of you are retiring to use credits elsewhere, don't forget to sell some neat items you might have for credits to add to your totals. I know I have a ton of stuff I'd sell if I ever retired Kayeil.
    Does that actually work? I thought credits purchased IG didn't count.
    Oh yeah it works. The only things that do not count are promotional credits ((Like HAPPYBIRTHDAY etc.)) Gifts obtained from like stockings. ((Not sure if Achaea has ever done stockings.)) Just things like that. Everything else counts.
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Khaibit said:
    If people do decide to retire their characters, it would be pretty decent of you to, you know maybe, let the people who interact with your character a headsup it's coming?
    @Seftin you.. are a jerk :(
    D'aww
    Huh. Neat.
  • Aerek said:
    The real question is: Is anyone roleplaying their own child yet?

There's a certain pompousness that I think is acceptable for an old character that's seen and accomplished a lot, that is absolutely grating when it's coming out of an artied-up 18yo. But slap the surname of your old main on there and suddenly you're completely in character, and the rest of us will have no trouble RP'ing that we're dealing with the spoiled brat of some old city leader.
    Isn't that against the ToS?
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Aesi said:
    Aerek said:
    The real question is: Is anyone roleplaying their own child yet?

There's a certain pompousness that I think is acceptable for an old character that's seen and accomplished a lot, that is absolutely grating when it's coming out of an artied-up 18yo. But slap the surname of your old main on there and suddenly you're completely in character, and the rest of us will have no trouble RP'ing that we're dealing with the spoiled brat of some old city leader.
    Isn't that against the ToS?
    Even if it isn't, it kinda defeats the point of retirement I think.  As someone that already knows who a few of the new retirees are, I find it incredibly bland. 
  • It is supposed to be used to roll a totally new character and start from scratch, not be a chance to move consequence free to another city and just tell everyone who you were / are.

Annoying, but nothing can be done about it. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • While I don't think it's against the ToS to have the same surname as your retired character, I don't think RPing as your own child would work.  It would be awkward to do, people would KNOW its you, and you wouldn't be able to bloodline yourself because of multiplaying.

Anyway, who would want to take a 50% net worth loss just to basically RP the same character?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kuy said:
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I can come back to Achaea now without having to make countless irresponsible life decisions because I've already made countless irresponsible life decisions across the IRE boarddddddddd
    Kuuuuuuuuuuuuy! Come back to ussssss.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Valysha said:
    Xinna said:
    Kayeil said:
    Just an idea, if any of you are retiring to use credits elsewhere, don't forget to sell some neat items you might have for credits to add to your totals. I know I have a ton of stuff I'd sell if I ever retired Kayeil.
    Does that actually work? I thought credits purchased IG didn't count.
    Oh yeah it works. The only things that do not count are promotional credits ((Like HAPPYBIRTHDAY etc.)) Gifts obtained from like stockings. ((Not sure if Achaea has ever done stockings.)) Just things like that. Everything else counts.
    Guide credits, mentor credits, org credits too.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.