A new class huh? Put your predictions here

Comments

• You've basically described the general theme of Serpent, yeah.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    @Blujixapug  -  Pretty sure I addressed that in my post about how it could all work in the same room with SOME LoS skills (that many classes have). I did explain that in Achaea rooms are big enough to accommodate many adventurers and dragons at one time, it would not be unrealistic to believe there is enough room for an archer to remain in the room and still have use of their bow.

Also, I think it would fit the need for another dex based class. I know many keep saying barbarian, but that's obviously yet another strength based class.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    @Blujixapug  -  Pretty sure I addressed that in my post about how it could all work in the same room with SOME LoS skills (that many classes have). I did explain that in Achaea rooms are big enough to accommodate many adventurers and dragons at one time, it would not be unrealistic to believe there is enough room for an archer to remain in the room and still have use of their bow.

Also, I think it would fit the need for another dex based class. I know many keep saying barbarian, but that's obviously yet another strength based class.
    Yeah...that was another reason I wanted the class in my mind's eye to have a small bow or hand crossbow...to make it obviously a short ranged weapon with possibly a few LoS attacks
  • Kayeil said:
    it would not be unrealistic to believe there is enough room for an archer to remain in the room and still have use of their bow.
    If the orc and/or ogre bowmen in the Dun fortress can manage it, so can adventurers.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    It would just set every fight with them to the Benny Hill theme as you chased them about the room.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • There's not actually any reason they'd need to move that far away from them; as long as they've got enough distance to draw the bow then they can fire it.

Also, while Achaean combat is fast-paced for us as players, in terms of IC time it's horrendously slow. That 2 second doubleslash is a couple of minutes to your character. If you impale somebody, they spend literal minutes with a sword stuck through them while they struggle to writhe free. Best not to think too much about what the fight actually looks like.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I don't see how it's any different than say... shamans, who I always visualize as cursing from somewhat of a distance. I would expect an archer to have lighter weaponry and to be nimble, so them being dex based would be perfect, and they should be a little slippery like a serpent or jester.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I would love to see an Astronomer class.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I'm pretty sure I spilled the beans on what the new class will be on the first page, you're all just wishful thinking at this point. I even gave logs, man.

• Pirate class is a real speculation? Oh please no..

• Everyone always suggest assassin or spy but... what exactly would that class do that serpent doesn't already?
  • Kiet said:
    Everyone always suggest assassin or spy but... what exactly would that class do that serpent doesn't already?
    Mix up a killer martini?
  • Trey said:
    It's probably barbarian, yeah, I just wish the eventual polearms class was something like a Guardsman archetype, more fluid, controlled stuff with maybe some formation fighting bonuses to defense/offense. And some sort of two-handed spear option :(
    And a guard channel that shows CALL FOR HELPs. And the ability to teleport to anyone of your city that does CALL FOR HELP.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Kiet said:
    Everyone always suggest assassin or spy but... what exactly would that class do that serpent doesn't already?
    Dual-wield daggers.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • How about a spider-based class?

Silk This is the bashing weapon class. One can make a bola out of silk as one's basic weapon. Later skills will include web-based traps, with code 'borrowed' from woodlore, and tricks of the silk trade. I figure a low-mid skill will be the ability to spin yourself robes with code borrowed from alchemist class-specific conjured robes. Instead of alchemical primes and metals determining its bonuses, silk qualities will be used: stickiness to delay someone successfully damaging them in regaining their balance/eq (depending on whichtheir attack uses), forexample - or UV colouration, which will just reduce physical damage because an attacker can't take armour into account if he/she/it can't see it because it's outside their visible spectrum of light. Surely there will be more, but those are a good start.

Senses This skillset is about increasing your awareness of your environment. The thing is, if you're busy trying to pay attention to which way that mob you just hit ran, you prabably aren't looking for /other/ dangerous mobs as carefully. Sight, hearing, and scent will all be skills in this skillset (though there will be fewer than average skills here, and those there are shall be 'padded' with resistance 'skills.')

Pheromones This skillset will be all about manipulating your body's natural scent in order to cause effects in your target. This is the affliction class!
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • edited January 2016
    Aerek said:
    It would just set every fight with them to the Benny Hill theme as you chased them about the room.
    The name of that tune is "Yakkety Sax." (Also, I am for anything like that sort of comedy chase-scene. I used to think of it on my own when folks would chase serpents around a city. Even the folks kaiing monks could be written in as comedic accidents!)

Edit: My head has also already relyricked the original spiderman themesong to advertise "spiderclass."
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I kinda would like to see a more creature based orientated, like a beast tamer. I think it would give a lot of flavor that can be pushed around, either have different abilities to summon beasts, to just having one.
  • Beast tamer has been mentioned several times but... we have Sentinel
  • Gamden said:
    How bout Assassin class?

Talking bout Assassins Creed style,Hidden Blades,Throwing knives,Crossbow.Scimitar on the side.

Or is this too much Serpent?

Frankly I have personally never felt Serpents are all that much of Assassins in their own right. I suppose they can poison people and what not, but in the end they seemed more like Cultists worshiping a Serpent faith. Making venoms, befriending snakes, hypnotizing. All they need is a forked-tongue and they are set.

I also was never happy about Serpents being given a pickpocket skill. Why is a Serpent Lord pickpocketing from individuals? That just doesnt really fit with the theme. I'd much have preferred a rouge-like class to have such 'talents'.
  • edited January 2016
    Serpents are extremely assassiny if you look at their individual abilities, imo. They use archetypal assassin weapons (daggers/dirks, bows), they use venoms, they have backstab, stealth, infiltration abilities, spying abilities, mobility, and gameplay based around finesse. They're basically 100% covering the rogue/assassin/thief/spy archetypes while also having a fairly unique approach to it through the serpent aspect and hypnosis.
  • It is spelled "rogue" not "rouge".

:anguished: 

Rouge is makeup people put on their cheeks.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Aktillum said:
    Honestly me personally, I'd like to see the current classes receive specialization tiers instead of new classes. Knight changes were great, can choose to specialize in weapons besides rapiers. The other classes should get the same treatment instead of new classes being put into the game. Monks, for example, could choose to specialize in fists, staffs, or nun-chuks, or whatever. Serpents could choose to specialize in poisons and dirks, or unlock new archery skills.

...I guess this would basically be a skill-tree system.
    I think this is a wonderful idea, but at the same time, looking at what I believe is exactly what you described in the other games just gets me confused.  There is already so much to learn and so many critical decisions, if we start going that route with everything we are going to need information in a much more publically accessible format.  
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Austere said:
    Aktillum said:
    Honestly me personally, I'd like to see the current classes receive specialization tiers instead of new classes. Knight changes were great, can choose to specialize in weapons besides rapiers. The other classes should get the same treatment instead of new classes being put into the game. Monks, for example, could choose to specialize in fists, staffs, or nun-chuks, or whatever. Serpents could choose to specialize in poisons and dirks, or unlock new archery skills.

...I guess this would basically be a skill-tree system.
    I think this is a wonderful idea, but at the same time, looking at what I believe is exactly what you described in the other games just gets me confused.  There is already so much to learn and so many critical decisions, if we start going that route with everything we are going to need information in a much more publically accessible format.  
    achaeapro.com

• I stii think calling them nunchucks makes it sound like it's a throwing weapon that resembles two people dressed in penguin costumes, bound at the ankles. They look like nuns, and you chuck them.
  • Boosteya said:
    I stii think calling them nunchucks makes it sound like it's a throwing weapon that resembles two people dressed in penguin costumes, bound at the ankles. They look like nuns, and you chuck them.
    If that is not the intended resolution now for monks I will be sadly disappointed.
  • edited January 2016
    Trans skill for "spiderclass" Senses: Detection. This defence, when active, allows the "spider" to know if there's a phased serpent in the room. You cannot see or hear the serpent, but you smell that there's /someone/ you can't see or hear. Tritrans serpents are likewise definitely aware of people with this defense active. (I figure the serpent sees something like, "You see Spiderclassgirl's eyes narrow as her nose detects that there's someone present she can't see nor hear." Only serpent class would see this. Have not figured out if that's an all-serpent default skill, or what.)
  • edited January 2016
    Pheromones/Senses skill: scentmark. Your skills at manipulating your pheromones, coupled with your ability to be aware of the sights, sounds, and especially scents around you, allow you to rub against walls to leave messages for yourself and fellow spiders.

This skill will execute like graffiti, being a message in scent that a spider can leave in a room. It would be read (smelled) at a very low level; this is the spider answer to serpent "rattle." It can be 'erased' like graffiti too: anyone with a bucket of water can do it. (Or just SCRUB WALLS in a random room with no scentmark; they won't know the difference,but afterward they'llbe sure the room is 'clean!' Til they leave it, anyway.

syntax: SCENTMARK <text>
    SCENTMARK ID (to determine who left a scentmark)

A spider has left a pheromone-based message here. You smell, "I was here."

I wonder if this will also allow a spider to 'scentmark' something like a letter? Could be interesting! Spiderboy receives a letter from spidergirl. The letter, read normally, might say something like, "I used up the last of that wood you sold me. Can I buy more from you later?" but if spiderboy does SMELL LETTER, this happens:

You sniff at the plain white letter, and realise that there is a pheromone-based message on it, applied by Spidergirl. The message is, "Help! I think they figured out I've been telling you their secrets!"

(When I was a true newbie, I was annoyed because rajamalans couldn't do this.)
  • Boosteya said:
    Pheromones/Senses skill: scentmark. Your skills at manipulating your pheromones, coupled with your ability to be aware of the sights, sounds, and especially scents around you, allow you to rub against walls to leave messages for yourself and fellow spiders.

This skill will execute like graffiti, being a message in scent that a spider can leave in a room. It would be read (smelled) at a very low level; this is the spider answer to serpent "rattle." It can be 'erased' like graffiti too: anyone with a bucket of water can do it. (Or just SCRUB WALLS in a random room with no scentmark; they won't know the difference,but afterward they'llbe sure the room is 'clean!' Til they leave it, anyway.

syntax: SCENTMARK <text>
    SCENTMARK ID (to determine who left a scentmark)

A spider has left a pheromone-based message here. You smell, "I was here."

I wonder if this will also allow a spider to 'scentmark' something like a letter? Could be interesting! Spiderboy receives a letter from spidergirl. The letter, read normally, might say something like, "I used up the last of that wood you sold me. Can I buy more from you later?" but if spiderboy does SMELL LETTER, this happens:

You sniff at the plain white letter, and realise that there is a pheromone-based message on it, applied by Spidergirl. The message is, "Help! I think they figured out I've been telling you their secrets!"

(When I was a true newbie, I was annoyed because rajamalans couldn't do this.)
    Spider class! Spider class! Does whatever a spider class does! Can it swing from a web? No you can't, you're a rajamalan. Look out! She is a spider class!