Should I Return?

Ey'lo Achaeans!

It's been quite some time since I played Achaea and I just wanted to know a couple of things before I made any considerations.
I moved from Achaea to Lusternia after incidents and further incidents during my stay in Achaea. I know many things have changed, but I'm more interested in the community and RP.
A short background of my time in Achaea:

During my time in Achaea, as a newbie, I was asking around looking for directions (this was when maps weren't even a thing) when a nice lady approached me and told me that she would lead me to said location. After following her for some time, she abruptly stops and began to remove her clothing. Long and painful story short, my youngling was violated by the "nice lady" and was abandoned.

With that experience, I was utterly shocked and ashamed to walk around the planes. Proper help was never available (the Romeo at that time was extremely rude and unhelpful) and I ended up leaving Achaea due to the poor experience I had.

Since I never quite settled into Achaea before leaving, I wanted to ask how the RP and community is, comparative to Lusternia.
How do your conflicts usually look like? The start and end.
Are certain classes Artifact heavy, as it is in Lusternia?

Anything that just highlights the good and the bads in Achaea.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Not sure what happened with the Romeo there, but I've never had a bad experience or a report of one except a few where the novice was blatantly insulting and I witnessed it over Newbie. I'd ISSUE ME that if you run into it. Guides are there to help people, and as far as I've seen, they pretty much always do. I seriously doubt you'd have another issue that like.

Community is great, expect a hard time if you go rogue, but all the Houses and reports I've gotten have been overwhelmingly positive except a few lower-population ones and off-peak newbies. Check the forums, we have our moments and our rude people, but most of us - even enemies - get along OOCly.

RP is great, you'll learn fast who to ignore and who to 'bump into.' Best part about the large community is there's always people out there you haven't run into yet, some of them quite awesome.

Oh, and we have maps, maps, and maps now. CONFIG MAPSHOW ON, MAP RADIUS 5, CONFIG FOLLOWLOOK ON. You'll get one above every room desc when you move/follow someone.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Yes, you should.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Yes. Please come

• RP: As much or as little as you'd like. OOC in public is banned.
    Conflict: everyone is different, you aren't going to get a solid answer here. You can create as much or as little conflict as you'd like.
    Classes: Every class benefits from arties in different ways. There are several classes that offensive arties don't help (or help very little).

• edited January 2016
    My first character was scammed by a few rotten people for a total of roughly 750cr and I've found it worth it to come back. You might have to work to make it worth it, at first, but you'll find your niche. 

Come back.

Plus, with the new PK system, I'm pretty sure sexual predators are free/open PK! 
  • OOC in public is sort of like red traffic lights - people will sometimes play a little fast and loose with the yellow lights, and you'll occasionally see people run reds (and get away with it), but most people generally feel very strongly that it's not an okay thing to do. It's pretty similar to how I remember Lusternia when I tried it a few years ago.

More intensive RP is definitely out there and it's not hard to find, but it won't fall into your lap either. You won't trip and fall into strong roleplayers. If you put yourself out there and roleplay with people, they'll come to you. Give people reasons to interact with you. If you build it, they will come.

Organisational conflict happens at many levels. There's sort of a cold war going between most of the factions most of the time. It doesn't tend to have any real start or end. The actual fighting is mostly in the form of raids - a group of players will go into a city, place a bomb, and charge it up before detonating it and leaving. The bomb reduces one or more rooms to rubble.

Individual conflict takes a lot of different forms. The PK rules are pretty liberal - basically just "don't be a jerk, don't do things that you know you shouldn't do". Most PvP is at least relatively consensual. Interpersonal conflict and political conflict is as varied as it is in real life.

Pretty much every class can benefit from defensive artefacts. Some classes can benefit more from offensive artefacts than others. Artefacts tend to matter more for classes that are more heavily focused on damage. Monk is a good example of a class that can benefit from a ridiculous number of artefacts, though it's probably still plenty playable without them at this point.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Farsyk said:

During my time in Achaea, as a newbie, I was asking around looking for directions (this was when maps weren't even a thing) when a nice lady approached me and told me that she would lead me to said location. After following her for some time, she abruptly stops and began to remove her clothing. Long and painful story short, my youngling was violated by the "nice lady" and was abandoned.

Wow wtf. Just really. wtf. I am so sorry you had to experience that. :frown: 

It gets better, well it's gotten better. You still see stuff like that, but the new client and newbie intro setups make sure you're never really 'alone' anymore and there are people you can look for immediate for help right out of the intro. 

Of course I wish more is done about it beyond just relying on the 'too late' ignore button function. 

Conflict is ongoing for multiple factions, though if you wish to divorce yourself from it there's always the pure  neutral city of Cyrene. Other than that, it's more about picking what sides and lore you prefer. Every city is now pretty newbie friendly. 

Arties won't be required for casual play or even just city defence/group stuff. solo-wise it can be tough, but I think there are still some PVPers who make it doable. 

I hope you'll give it another shot. Achaea's moved miles ahead in the recent years.