Instanced Dungeons?

2»

Comments

• I feel like anything past 90 is convenience, really. I only really use dragon to hunt (not so often after finishing Elder set) and pierce the veil. 
    Elder Dragon even more absurd - Takes a 30 second process and brings it down to 4(?) ish  seconds. 

I feel for you on the frustration that comes with areas being bashed out. But it's good motivation to find other places to hunt. 
    I bashed at (only) Forestwatch from level 30's to late 70's.. from age 18 to 270. I never found hunting even remotely interesting until I found the motivation to explore and find different areas. Bashing spot lists are good to take note of, but I found the best results when I would just buckle up and walk in random directions. 

I can probably name 3-4 different areas that are normally visited by folks in the 70's that are unvisited (for IRL days at a time), just because they are not well-known. Take some time to look around. It's a pain, especially when you're in a timezone that is popular, but you'll eventually find areas that satisfy you. 
  • Hirgrim said:
    I'm not interested in creating a 'safe haven' for people, just balancing the hunt scene when people don't have 4-8 hours a day (seriously who has that much free time?) to grind out areas. Some people get maybe 1-2 hours a day to play, and to give example I've run through multiple areas including recommendations from house scrolls and members, and inevitably there's always someone just leaving who has hunted it out. I even picked up Iron Elite to bolster the time I can hunt with the experience boost, which is helping, but it seems a little lopsided. 
    Have you tried Phereklos? Even before the battlerage changes it was difficult to hunt out, even during great hunts it was almost never empty. Now it lasts even longer with the higher denizen health, it should be able to support 3 hunters indefinitely (and most of the time you'll either have it all to yourself or find one other person there). It's not the best experience (not bad, there are just faster places to hunt; I got ~25% per hour at level 79), but it's an easy, nearly-unlimited bashing area for around levels 50 to 80.
  • Sena said:
    Hirgrim said:
    I'm not interested in creating a 'safe haven' for people, just balancing the hunt scene when people don't have 4-8 hours a day (seriously who has that much free time?) to grind out areas. Some people get maybe 1-2 hours a day to play, and to give example I've run through multiple areas including recommendations from house scrolls and members, and inevitably there's always someone just leaving who has hunted it out. I even picked up Iron Elite to bolster the time I can hunt with the experience boost, which is helping, but it seems a little lopsided. 
    Have you tried Phereklos? Even before the battlerage changes it was difficult to hunt out, even during great hunts it was almost never empty. Now it lasts even longer with the higher denizen health, it should be able to support 3 hunters indefinitely (and most of the time you'll either have it all to yourself or find one other person there). It's not the best experience (not bad, there are just faster places to hunt; I got ~25% per hour at level 79), but it's an easy, nearly-unlimited bashing area for around levels 50 to 80.
    I'll give it a go! Thank you for the recommendation.
  • Hirgrim said:
    Sobriquet said:
    It's not a case of ruining a hunting trip, it's about instances allowing people to go hunting with little or no consequence to their current status or actions.

Left Mhaldor under a cloud? Go hunt in instances and ex-city mates can't get you
    Mark? Hunting in instances so people can't get you
    Infamous? Hunting in instances so other infamous people can't get you
    Recently raided a city? Hunt in instances so people can't continue the RP (Yes, I went there) that you just instigated
    Recently dropped a shrine, or had a bounty placed on your head, or a Mark contract... you get my point.

I really don't see instanced hunting areas being of any benefit to Achaea at all unless you want a single player game and hunt to dragon.

- Raided a city recently? One Achaean day cooldown (minimum) before can enter into an instanced dungeon.
    - Mark? Can't enter.
    - Infamous? Can't enter.
    - Recently performed an aggressive action against a person or shrine? See bullet point one.

I definitely bash for maybe 2 hours a day or less on average, and here I am at level 90 man (granted, from like 58-81 was almost entirely pk, but 81-90 was a huge grind). I have like 5 health because of mhun serp constitution, so it's not like I get to do the elite bashing areas either. There just isn't that much of a problem finding areas that aren't taken, you just have to look around more.

You're seeing a problem and instead of thinking 'hm, how do I solve this within the game?', you're thinking 'I want the game to be tailored for my personal needs.'
  • Kiet said:

You're seeing a problem and instead of thinking 'hm, how do I solve this within the game?', you're thinking 'I want the game to be tailored for my personal needs.'
    Uhh...no, not quite, Scooter. That just seems to be your assumption. 

Even just a while ago I was in a party with two people who were hunting as a group while I was hunting solo, and they were saying how everything was hunted out. Being that one was a dragon, I assume they know quite a few hunting spots. Their last stop were the 'Vertani' and turned out even that had been cleared.

So it's more like I'm seeing a problem and thinking, "Hmm...what are some possible alternatives." This isn't for my personal needs, it's aimed as a suggestion for the benefit of all. I'm going to keep grinding out regardless. After all, in the world of Achaea, I've nothing but time, even if that time is broken up into small increments, they yield a compounded result.
  • "Even" the Vertani?. Given that they drop talisman pieces and aren't in an open PK area they are constantly bashed out, you'll be very lucky to find a whole set there alive. I agree with Kiet though, you just need more experience on where to hunt. I play around 4 - 5 hours a -week- and I'm an Elder Dragon. My alt is level 82. Yes it may take time, but i can always fund something to hunt without even touching Meropis.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Vertani are one of the most cleared places in the game, they're almost always dead on respawn.

Plenty of places to hunt if you know where to look. There's not always the -best- places available, especially at peak times, but there is always somewhere.

• edited January 2016
    The Vertani are constantly cleared because several people track their respawn timer. Saying the Vertani are hunted out doesn't really say much. Conversely, I know that the top ranked bashers in the game rarely run into that issue much because I've seen them bash for like hours at a time, and when they run into the occasional empty area they just move on to the next one in their list of known good areas. It's at worst a minor inconvenience if you know where else to go.

If the only places you know to bash are tir, moghedu, and dun, yeah you're going to run into a lot of empty areas (and a lot of dragons got dragon bashing just these three spots, so it says little about their knowledge, really). But there's a lot more areas than those.
  • There are more than a handful of places to hunt. Got that message more than a handful of posts back. Continue the condescending nitpicking if you must, but my suggestion stands.
  • Instanced anything isn't a very good fit for Achaea as a whole.

• Since your argument is 'I know a few other people who complain everything is hunted out' people pointing out they have no issues is not nitpicking, but additional data for comparison. Achaea doesn't need instances, the battlerage changes have made it a lot easier to find things to hunt, but even before them the only time where there was legitimately often nothing to hunt was during great hunt weekends.

• edited January 2016
    Levels 1+
    -----------
    - Minia - imps, hellcats, firesprites
    - Lodi - all except guard pigs, wildcat queen and soldiers, gnomes
    - All major cities except Eleusis - baby, young, and normal rats.
    - Gheladan - Murinae, animals

Levels 10+
    ------------
    - Minia - kobolds and pygmies
    - Lodi - guard pigs, wildcat queen and soldiers
    - All major cities except Eleusis - old and black rats.
    - Gheladan - Hornets, honeybees

Levels 20+
    ------------
    - The Great Rock
    - Bopalopia*
    - Actar Valley
    - Bog near Ashtan
    - Actar Valley
    - Tasur'ke (avoid sharks until higher levels)

Levels 30+
    ------------
    - Manara Burrow
    - The Underground Lake by Blackrock

Levels 35+
    ------------
    - Rheodad
    - Enverren Marsh
    - Garnok and Thalagor, the villages at the foot of Dun Fortress
    - Forestwatch (avoid bottom half of Forestwatch until higher levels)
    - Garnok and Thalagor, the orc and ogre villages at the foot of Dun Fortress
    - Manusha
    - Northreach Forest
    - Rheodad
    - Sangre Plains

Levels 40+
    ------------
    - Green Lake
    - Ulangi
    - Mhojave Desert
    - Genji
    - Polyargos
    - Orc camp within Siroccian Mountains
    - Shala-Khulia*
    - Kamleikan
    - Xhaiden dale
    - El'Jazira
    - Green Lake (animals, fish)
    - Kamleikan
    - Riparium (animals)
    - Western Vashnars

Levels 50+
    -------------
    - Manticore Caverns
    - Maze beneath Maim's mansion*
    - Scorpion pit*
    - Azdun*
    - Goblin village
    - Thugs in sewers of Ashtan, Targossas, Hashan, Mhaldor
    - Bloodleeches in Cyrene's sewers
    - Black Forest (do not attack Treekins)
    - New Hope (be careful of the panthers)
    - Phereklos - upper levels
    - Scorpion pit*
    - Tundra

Levels 60+
    -------------
    - Darkenwood
    - Harae*
    - Southern Vashnars
    - Sea Lion Cove*
    - Mysia
    - Parts of Belladona's Keep*
    - Shala'jen Monastery*
    - Aalen forest (animals - grizzly bears if careful)
    - Dun Fortress (not topmost level until higher levels)

Levels 70+
    -------------
    - Creville Asylum*
    - Isle of New hope (all)
    - Hriddan
    - Belladona's keep* (All)
    - Dun swamp* (Animals)
    - Isaia
    - Valho Coast
    - Quartz Peak* - taryen
    - Qurnok*
    - Zanzibaar - tigers, turtles and smugglers (avoid Lordan)
    - Suliel Island

Levels 80+
    -----------
    - Dun Fortress*
    - Morindar*
    - Azdun (Including Graveyard and Catacombs)*
    - Delmarin*
    - Clockwork Isle*
    - Zaphar Isle*
    - Tenwat Prison*
    - Suliel Island
    - Ilyrean caves
    - Colchis*
    - Umbrin*
    - Wegava Valley*
    - Parts of Meropis*
    - Nuskuwe caverns*
    - Parts of Anwynn*

Levels 90+
    ----------
    - Isle of Prin*
    - Anwynn*
    - Underworld*
    - Meropis*
    - Lupine Hunting Grounds*
    - Isle of Prin* - shrouds/sceptres morph into pumas/cockatrices

@Hirgrim

This actually pre-dates the battlerage changes. Bump everything up 30 levels or so (IE: Manara is great hunting until ~81)

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Valkyn said:
    Since your argument is 'I know a few other people who complain everything is hunted out' people pointing out they have no issues is not nitpicking, but additional data for comparison. Achaea doesn't need instances, the battlerage changes have made it a lot easier to find things to hunt, but even before them the only time where there was legitimately often nothing to hunt was during great hunt weekends.
    It wasn't an argument, it was a general statement made many posts after my suggestion. Try to untangle your knickers. 

Thanks for the list, @Atalkez.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    There are actually quite a few dragons who have a very limited list of places they hunt, and a limited knowledge of places to hunt. Especially if their explorer rank is pretty low. A dragon's list of areas can also be hindered if they are in a hunting party with an individual or individuals of lower levels that aren't dragons. I know there's some areas I wouldn't take non-dragons into.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Hirgrim said:
    Valkyn said:
    Since your argument is 'I know a few other people who complain everything is hunted out' people pointing out they have no issues is not nitpicking, but additional data for comparison. Achaea doesn't need instances, the battlerage changes have made it a lot easier to find things to hunt, but even before them the only time where there was legitimately often nothing to hunt was during great hunt weekends.
    It wasn't an argument, it was a general statement made many posts after my suggestion. Try to untangle your knickers. 

Several of us posted within about a minute, not seeing the other posts before we did. I'd appreciate if you'd stop resorting to personal insults as soon as someone disagrees with you though. 

• Kayeil said:
    A dragon's list of areas can also be hindered if they are in a hunting party with an individual or individuals of lower levels that aren't dragons. I know there's some areas I wouldn't take non-dragons into.
    I sometimes take them anyway. :p

Maybe that partly explains why people die following me around. :(

In general, though, I have about 3-4 places I hit on my regular circuit, plus 3-4 backups in case my primary bashing spots are cleared. Given general bashing speed and the respawn rate, I find that I don't need many more than that for day-to-day bashing. Great Hunts are a different story, of course.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited January 2016
    Not Needed. Comment deleted

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Valkyn said:
    Hirgrim said:
    Valkyn said:

Several of us posted within about a minute, not seeing the other posts before we did. I'd appreciate if you'd stop resorting to personal insults as soon as someone disagrees with you though. 
    What part of any of that was a personal insult? I'd appreciate it if you stopped taking everything so personally and on such a sensitive level in your attempt to broker an actual argument. You don't agree with my idea. Of that I'm fully aware by now, so good day.
  • Honestly, I'm against instances for a whole host of reasons.

My personal choice would be to expand the size of a few bashing areas. Like increase some areas to Moghedu/Manara size. Quartz Peak, Goblin Village, Siroccian Orc and Dwarf camps. Maybe increase Dun a bit. Tsol'aa Village. Etc.

I know there's overhead for work such as that, but I feel it'd go a long way towards alleviating some concerns. And bring more of a sense of scale. My favorite thing about Achaea is how huge the world is, but I've always felt a bit off when I go through a village with ten people and a handful of rooms.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I wouldn't be opposed to a specific use of 'instanced' areas that conforms to the following:

Well-known/announced start/end time for the spot, and it gets locked (actually locked, not full of holes like the Y700 spots) so that once the hunt begins, you can't enter if you were left out, or leave if you're in. It shouldn't last ages, maybe an hour, or something. There should be a prize (The RP justification for these spots should be in the mold of the Adryn's Keep games, but on a smaller scale, maybe, with a Tharos-like denizen heading it?), something unique but not granting a mechanical advantage. The mobs inside, of course, should be pretty rough to fight (almost goes without saying, dunnit?).

It'd be neat if there were a way to organize it so that only a set number of people can go in, and/or only a set number of people per faction can go in (say, a few from each City and a few rogues, first come, first serve!).

I really like actual games-inside-games, but changing hunting in general to this format seems a bit gratuitous, given how decent hunting is right now. That said, I wouldn't object to more closed-off areas to hunt for prizes/prestige on a more regular basis!
  • edited January 2016
    Trevize said:
    My personal choice would be to expand the size of a few bashing areas. Like increase some areas to Moghedu/Manara size. Quartz Peak, Goblin Village, Siroccian Orc and Dwarf camps. Maybe increase Dun a bit. Tsol'aa Village. Etc.
    Could increase Tir while they're at it, too (IIRC, this was done before a little while back in a minor event?).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."