Character retirement

Comments

• Hermaldo said:
    I would really like to request that the retirement says that '(Character was taken by Lord Thoth into the Soul Realms on (date).'

Hermaldo served Lord Thoth for years and the only thing left for that character to do is to die and go to his Master. I retired a long time ago and moved on to new pastures. I wish I could put everything I put into Hermaldo into my new main, but I understand the why. 

Will or would something like this be possible? I mean I will probably do it anyways, but it would be immensely gratifying through a roleplay standpoint.
    Also, yes, please, this. I think a permanent retirement honors line would be great (even for non-Thothians, given it fits into Achaean theology generally). Given the number of abandoned throwaway alts I have that don't have any retirement value, I'd really love an option to permanently shutter a character even if you can't 'trade them in' for retirement credits as well, since suicide is no longer an option once you've bought anything (and shouldn't be an option for the ones who I actually stuck with for awhile). Maybe the same honors line and an inability to log into them again, but without the tradein value.
  • Vayne said:
    I can't imagine retired a character I have put years into for only 50% of the credits I've invested in him, but I am not sure I could retire him if you gave 150% either...
    Depends on your situation.

I've a character which I've invested some time and credits in but due to work, dormancy and life hasn't ever really got going the same way Sobriquet did. I've also struggled to really get into the Mhaldor ethos with him. Currently he's got no positions of power, no honors and no meaningful interaction with anybody. I now have the chance to either move him away to another city (Fine dependant), keep him there or retire him as Mhaldorian, close that chapter and start again.

Either way, it works out cheaper to retire him and use 50% (Currently 1974cr) elsewhere than to have him flounder there unused.  

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • None of my characters are paid enough to do this, but it actually reminded me that other iron realms games exist, giving Lusternia a try tonight, whee
  • I already bugged it, but is anyone else having trouble redeeming their retirement credits? When I try with a character that is a little older than 2 days old, it says he's not eligible to receive them.
  • edited January 2016
    So, does trading things in negatively affect your net worth?

This character is not eligible for retirement. You would need to increase its worth by 8280 credits.

I don't really have arties, but I am omni transed so just kind of curious.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited January 2016
    I was kinda sorta hoping for a chance to consolidate my old alts, but only two of them qualify for retirement and they're characters that I've put a lot of effort into so I feel like retiring them would be a waste beyond just financial reasons.

Since all of this is done with manual approval, I get why the 1k minimum for investment is required. However, I think most 'tryout' alts are made with probably only a 300-500cr investment individually. Back in the day, that was what was needed to get reasonably far in your class skills (now even less due to no-brainer packages). I think quite a few of us have a handful of tryalts who won't qualify for retirement due to the minimum, but the fact is that the investment does add up if you look at them altogether. 

• Aereidhna said:
    Hermaldo said:
    I would really like to request that the retirement says that '(Character was taken by Lord Thoth into the Soul Realms on (date).'

Hermaldo served Lord Thoth for years and the only thing left for that character to do is to die and go to his Master. I retired a long time ago and moved on to new pastures. I wish I could put everything I put into Hermaldo into my new main, but I understand the why. 

Will or would something like this be possible? I mean I will probably do it anyways, but it would be immensely gratifying through a roleplay standpoint.
    Also, yes, please, this. I think a permanent retirement honors line would be great (even for non-Thothians, given it fits into Achaean theology generally). Given the number of abandoned throwaway alts I have that don't have any retirement value, I'd really love an option to permanently shutter a character even if you can't 'trade them in' for retirement credits as well, since suicide is no longer an option once you've bought anything (and shouldn't be an option for the ones who I actually stuck with for awhile). Maybe the same honors line and an inability to log into them again, but without the tradein value.
    We don't and won't be giving any kind of custom honors line or letting you kill your characters gloriously or anything similar. Standard retirement lines are all we're going to do. This is a last-ditch option for people who are not going to use a character any more, rather than something that provides any reward whatsoever beyond getting some credits to put into a new character. 

I could see letting people retire, without any value, characters that aren't eligible for retirement though, perhaps.
  • Skye said:
    I was kinda sorta hoping for a chance to consolidate my old alts, but only two of them qualify for retirement and they're characters that I've put a lot of effort into so I feel like retiring them would be a waste beyond just financial reasons.

Since all of this is done with manual approval, I get why the 1k minimum for investment is required. However, I think most 'tryout' alts are made with probably only a 300-500cr investment individually. Back in the day, that was what was needed to get reasonably far in your class skills (now even less due to no-brainer packages). I think quite a few of us have a handful of tryalts who won't qualify for retirement due to the minimum, but the fact is that the investment does add up if you look at them altogether. 
    We'll almost certainly lower the limit to 500 credits at some point. Just didn't want to overwhelm the producers on the games. This has been considerably more popular than we expected, and due to some poor categorization of some things around credits back in the day, some of the manual approvals actually take a lot of time, because recalculating their credit value based on some required manual research might have to happen based on some various factors that would be really hard for us to automate. 
  • Naverre said:
    I already bugged it, but is anyone else having trouble redeeming their retirement credits? When I try with a character that is a little older than 2 days old, it says he's not eligible to receive them.

I'm having a similar problem. I bugged it as well.

• Retirement sound good, but if I was honest with myself I would just re-roll into the same faction/class combo as I do not want to take the time to progress through another org and learn all of the people there. 

• edited January 2016
    Message #1          Sent by Achaea
    1/13/4:52 Your bug report (detail: Despite this character (----) being only three days old, for some reason it says he's ineligible to receive retirement credits from characters I've retired.) - has been fixed.
    Woot! All fixed now.

EDIT: Ohhh, this is why.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4500                                     (01/13/2016 at 04:50)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Retirement
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a quick note regarding retirement: Recipient characters must not already be considered permanent, so no prior purchases before transferring the retirement credits. I've updated HELP RETIREMENT to reflect this, and if there's characters who are in this situation, please let me know ASAP and I'll get it resolved for you.
    Penned by My hand on the 14th of Miraman, in the year 703 AF.

I had already bought credits/transferred from Iron Elite.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the clarification, @Sarapis!
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Naverre said:
    Message #1          Sent by Achaea
    1/13/4:52 Your bug report (detail: Despite this character (----) being only three days old, for some reason it says he's ineligible to receive retirement credits from characters I've retired.) - has been fixed.
    Woot! All fixed now.

EDIT: Ohhh, this is why.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4500                                     (01/13/2016 at 04:50)  
    From   : Tecton the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: Retirement
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a quick note regarding retirement: Recipient characters must not already be considered permanent, so no prior purchases before transferring the retirement credits. I've updated HELP RETIREMENT to reflect this, and if there's characters who are in this situation, please let me know ASAP and I'll get it resolved for you.
    Penned by My hand on the 14th of Miraman, in the year 703 AF.

I had already bought credits/transferred from Iron Elite.

We've reworked some things now, so this restriction isn't a factor any more! 
  • Hrm. So... any chance we could make it so you can transfer retirement credits to characters older than fourteen days, if said character previously received retirement credits? What I'd like to do is to retire characters and start a new one, improve my skills a bit, maybe get an artifact or two, etc. But with the current system, I can't transfer a bit of credits now, and then get the rest in two months when I know exactly how many I'd need to get the stuff that's necessary for that particular character.

It's an all or nothing within the span of fourteen days.
  • Can you retire a character if they are married? What happens then? Is it an automatic divorce? Can the unretired partner go on and marry again or are they stuck with a dead partner?
  • From the looks of my retired married character, the marriage remains. The still-active partner will likely have to file for a divorce still.
  • Once you click the confirm retirement link. How long does it take for the credits to become available?
  • What's the return on the base 1000 retirement level? 300?

just curious if it's better to push an alt over the edge or just buy on the new guy
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Is there somewhere I can see what characters are registered to my email across all IRE games? I know I have some Lusternians, but it's been so long that I have zero chance of guessing names.
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • Aesi said:
    What's the return on the base 1000 retirement level? 300?

just curious if it's better to push an alt over the edge or just buy on the new guy
    I'm thinking the answer would be 500... Being 50% and all.
  • Comitis said:
    Aesi said:
    What's the return on the base 1000 retirement level? 300?

I'm thinking the answer would be 500... Being 50% and all.
    Good on you. Reading comprehension not my strong suit this week. Working long hours
  • KezKez
    edited January 2016
    @Marax said:
    Is there somewhere I can see what characters are registered to my email across all IRE games? I know I have some Lusternians, but it's been so long that I have zero chance of guessing names.
    Type CHARACTERS
    Never mind maybe it doesn't do across games.
  • Comitis said:
    Once you click the confirm retirement link. How long does it take for the credits to become available?
    It took three hours for it to be finalized for two of mine, but you have to remember that a bunch of people have been retiring their characters, and the admin have to finalize it manually. As time goes on, it'll probably happen faster.
  • Naverre said:
    Comitis said:
    Once you click the confirm retirement link. How long does it take for the credits to become available?
    It took three hours for it to be finalized for two of mine, but you have to remember that a bunch of people have been retiring their characters, and the admin have to finalize it manually. As time goes on, it'll probably happen faster.
    Alright, Thanks.
  • Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly, I can retire as many characters as I want and have the funds just sit in limbo until I'm ready to make a new character, correct?
  • That's right Worves.