Character retirement

Comments

• haha @Antonius love that yours is like double mine now (i'm sure tradeins dont have anything to do with anything *sagenod*)

• @Sarapis or @Tecton, do pets count toward the retirement total, and if not, do they disappear when the character retires? Would Bonsai still wander the jungle of Dun Valley, for instance?
  • Just a warning, not sure if mentioned but I've noticed and BUGged two bugs.

Attached blademaster bands don't count, and multiclass doesn't count. Changing class changes my value, and corresponds correctly as far as I can see with lessons invested. Detaching a band adds half the band's value to the retirement amount.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Trevize said:
    Just a warning, not sure if mentioned but I've noticed and BUGged two bugs.

Attached blademaster bands don't count, and multiclass doesn't count. Changing class changes my value, and corresponds correctly as far as I can see with lessons invested. Detaching a band adds half the band's value to the retirement amount.
    Seems to be the way the system is designed for that it only counts what is currently on your character.  Meaning credits purchased but lost from artefact trade-ins, class changing, multiclass, pets, customized items, and attached artefacts all will not count towards retirement credits.

This is where it kinda gets complicated, if you're the kind of person that RP'd a character that who had thin loyalties and changed class a lot, therefore losing 450 credits each class change, your character still has the "value" of those credits because they experienced it, though they don't have a directly correlating form of it like someone who RP'd someone with heavy loyalty who has never changed class but has some artefacts, the second character has the exact same credit value of the first character but their retirement value is considerably higher because it only registered the credit value currently on the character and not the accumulated value of the character.
  • Citrus said:
    Trevize said:
    Just a warning, not sure if mentioned but I've noticed and BUGged two bugs.

Seems to be the way the system is designed for that it only counts what is currently on your character.  Meaning credits purchased but lost from artefact trade-ins, class changing, multiclass, pets, customized items, and attached artefacts all will not count towards retirement credits.

This is where it kinda gets complicated, if you're the kind of person that RP'd a character that who had thin loyalties and changed class a lot, therefore losing 450 credits each class change, your character still has the "value" of those credits because they experienced it, though they don't have a directly correlating form of it like someone who RP'd someone with heavy loyalty who has never changed class but has some artefacts, the second character has the exact same credit value of the first character but their retirement value is considerably higher because it only registered the credit value currently on the character and not the accumulated value of the character.

Blademaster bands can be detached and reattached at will. As well as traded in. Blademaster swords seem to act as pseudo-artefacts when a band is attached, and count for some things, but don't for others. It was simply missed in this and is a bug.

Multiclass values should count, they are current value invested in your character and immediately available. Otherwise you could QUIT CLASS for all others and get more (33% instead of 50%, but still).

I got confirmation both should be fixed, just wanted to warn people that values may not be accurate at this moment.

For the rest, if you wasted credits (no offense intended, I've wasted quite a bit) and no longer have their value, then yes, that shouldn't count.

Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • "Recipient characters must be a newly-created character (within 14 RL days)"

Does that mean less than 14 days of time played? (What I see when I hit score full) OR 14 days from the day of character creation no matter the play time? 

• Cahotha said:
    "Recipient characters must be a newly-created character (within 14 RL days)"

Does that mean less than 14 days of time played? (What I see when I hit score full) OR 14 days from the day of character creation no matter the play time? 

14 days from creation, you can 'retire credits transfer #' - after that, the command is disabled. That's what I"m reading.
  • edited January 2016
    FYI the class change seems to be fixed. Got a 'be live soon' on the BM bands attached.

@antonius, try now. If you weren't crying before...
  • I would really like to request that the retirement says that '(Character was taken by Lord Thoth into the Soul Realms on (date).'

Hermaldo served Lord Thoth for years and the only thing left for that character to do is to die and go to his Master. I retired a long time ago and moved on to new pastures. I wish I could put everything I put into Hermaldo into my new main, but I understand the why. 

Will or would something like this be possible? I mean I will probably do it anyways, but it would be immensely gratifying through a roleplay standpoint.

• Trevize said:

For the rest, if you wasted credits (no offense intended, I've wasted quite a bit) and no longer have their value, then yes, that shouldn't count.

None taken, we all play differently.  Just sucks when a system inadvertently rewards one style of play and punishes another.  My thought is you're retiring your character, not just the items and skills the character currently has, but the life and experiences the character had, can you put a credit value on that? Technically yes, from the credit value it took to have those experiences.  Though I know that the reason they did it this way is because it would be too difficult and complicated to calculate the used value of credits in a fair way, still sucks.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I really dislike that people who have for the most part got their credits without making purchases can't retire their characters. I suppose there's a reason for it, but it is still a shame.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Citrus said:
    Trevize said:

None taken, we all play differently.  Just sucks when a system inadvertently rewards one style of play and punishes another.  My thought is you're retiring your character, not just the items and skills the character currently has, but the life and experiences the character had, can you put a credit value on that? Technically yes, from the credit value it took to have those experiences.  Though I know that the reason they did it this way is because it would be too difficult and complicated to calculate the used value of credits in a fair way, still sucks.
    Eh. I really don't see it that way. I get where you're coming from, but it's like buying games and selling them to gamestop to buy new games. You lose what you spent when you trade something in. Yeah, sticking with one will cost you less. Or holding onto ones you don't play will mean your collection is worth more. But ultimately, it's a cost/reward - you are losing assets for the sake of what you enjoy. To some it's worth it, to some it's not.
  • Tahquil said:
    Given that retirements are going to be manually reviewed,
    Oh, are they? There goes my plan to pull a Daes Bonko Daes and retire to Lusternia Aetolia.
  • This is awesome, though the 14 day limit really is a pity. I remember talk of a way to consolidate alts once Multiclass came in, since multiple characters to have multiple classes would no longer be needed and I got so excited thinking this would be it.

Would even take a smaller conversion if for an older character, say 40%.

• Trevize said:
    FYI the class change seems to be fixed. Got a 'be live soon' on the BM bands attached.

My value is somehow lower than yesterday, so no idea what's going on.
  • edited January 2016
    When this idea was thrown about a while ago, the main theme discussed was the idea that a character would have to be a minimum age for this to happen, not a maximum. I agree with Arador, 14 days is just not long enough, it's going to create a headache for anyone who helps or deals with novices. I'd say at least 1 month, or age 20. I really don't see why this can't run for 2 weeks post introduction for consolidation to any char though, especially with the multiclass changes.

• Antonius said:
    Trevize said:

Are you perhaps heavily invested in Greek companies?

• Arador said:
    Antonius said:
    Trevize said:

Are you perhaps heavily invested in Greek companies?

I don't even remember everything I own at this point, so it's possible!
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Arador said:
    Problem with this is 14 days tells you nothing, really. So either you will create a new character and transfer your credits into him, and maybe regret it if you do not like the game, or you are going to create a throwaway alt, play them for a bit and if you decide you like the game, burn that alt and all the work they have done to create a fresh one that can get the credits transferred in.

Same with trying a new city/house in the same game as well. Not to mention the wasted effort for people who help these throwaway novices.
    To be fair, that's probably the intent. You're only supposed to do this if you're already 100% sure it's what you want, not if you're waffling on the idea of retirement and just trying new characters to see.

Overall, I like it. I'm not sure I'd ever do it, but as someone who has always paid mind to the "legacy" of Achaean characters, (and am always a little sad when iconic characters swap factions, classes, etc) this gives a way to start new without sacrificing the legacy of your character, and without losing the "lifestyle" you've become accustomed to.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • True, but how are you sure within 14 days? I think you would put a lot  more effort into a character than that to see if you really do enjoy playing somewhere, and by then you are past the limit so you have to burn that character, all the effort put into them and all the effort others put into them.

• Now would be a good time to propose my plan of allowing inheritances! Retired characters could beseech some of their owned artefacts/estate onto their children, preferably eldest son. Not that I'd have any specific reason to ask coughlevel2veilcough.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Arador said:
    True, but how are you sure within 14 days? I think you would put a lot  more effort into a character than that to see if you really do enjoy playing somewhere, and by then you are past the limit so you have to burn that character, all the effort put into them and all the effort others put into them.
    I mean that you already need to be 100% sure you want to retire your main, and already 100% committed to starting a new character in the first place. It's not designed as a dip-your-toe-in, maybe-if-I-like-this-new-character option. It's the nuclear option, for when you've accomplished everything you wanted on a character, and are ready to start a new one from page one again.

It's understandable to want a designer baby, to ensure everything's perfect before you commit to it, but I don't think that's the point of this system; it's not meant to be "flexible". If you want an alt, make an alt. This is for starting a new main, with all the possible pitfalls and uncertainties of your first main.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I do not see how the 14 day limit has any influence on my certainty about retirement and if I was 100% sure I wanted to retire the main, I would certainly not throw his fortune into an uncertainty. But that might just be me.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited January 2016
    I love this, I've been wanting something like it for a long time. I really wish I could retire a previous character and roll it into Aereidhna, though, because I don't want to make another new main or anything like that. Kind of disappointing that it can only benefit new characters. But I'm glad it exists. And I'm really glad you can transfer them to characters on other games - I've been wanting to give Aetolia a try for awhile now.