Character retirement

Comments

• Question for @Tecton: If you have a bunch of gold on an alt you want to retire, can you buy a bunch of credits ICly and have those count towards the value you'll be getting back?
  • Zuko said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    I always hated the name Austere. 50% value loss on top of dragon and all the other nifty things I have does feel a bit rough.  This would be much more tempting at 66% loss. 

Can you retire two characters into one? 
    Will the name presist, perhaps with an honors tag? 
    If so, is it feasible to kill a character as opposed to retiring? 
    Any specific reason for putting a 14 day limiter on it? 
    Probably to stop "rolling updates"

create alts - fold em in, 

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    You're only getting your ooc and bought ic investment back and you have to buy at least 1000 credits ooc.  That completely voids that argument.  
    Well struck sir.

but if it's just a name change why not ask for one ?

seems less destructive unless you want a fresh start 
    I'd expect Dragonknight would have namechanged by now if allowed. Austere is much less... striking?
    Worst they can say is no right?
  • Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    I always hated the name Austere. 50% value loss on top of dragon and all the other nifty things I have does feel a bit rough.  This would be much more tempting at 66% loss. 

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    The only thing that would do is get you 50% less credits each time you transferred them, and you'd have to buy the 1000.

• What happens to clans owned by a character that you retire? Do they remain owned by them forever?
  • edited January 2016
    Medi said:
    What happens to clans owned by a character that you retire? Do they remain owned by them forever?
    This, as well as other relevant details re: bloodline and such. Still an honourable entity just forever dormant?

also nice work. As we see, there are so many damn moving parts to this.
  • Austere said:

This. I want to know this. I also would like to know if other characters have retired, so I don't sit around expecting them to return when they won't.
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    I would love to retire one of my characters in Imperian and transfer the credits to Masaryk. That would be super swell. :)

Either way, very interesting development.

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Antonius said:
    Zuko said:
    Antonius said:

Personally I can't ever see myself using this, but I do know it's something that a lot of other people have asked for in the past. I'm curious about the reasoning for it having to be used on a newly created character, though. I could see people wanting to consolidate purchases made across multiple characters now that we have multiclass.

Also, thanks ever so much for giving me an easy way to see how much my character is worth, and therefore roughly how much I've spent on the game. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep or anything now...

Try finding those high numbers on three characters :( Gonna have to wash my pillowcase once I'm out of the hospital for dehydration 

Not sure what your numbers look like, but:

All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 41460 credits in escrow.
    If you retire this character, you will receive 39320 transfer credits for use on a new character.

What command did you use to find this? Just curious.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Zuko said:
    Jemaine said:
    Valkyn said:
    Jemaine said:
    I think maybe the reasoning for only newly created characters being eligible is that it would be a paperwork nightmare. My first thought when I read this was to dig up my biggest dormant character I ever made and bought credits on from 10 years ago to get a free payday. Now times that by most of the players across all IRE games wanting the same thing all happening at once.
    It's pretty harsh on those who have spent thousands of dollars within the last few years though. I could consolidate my characters into a new one and still have more on the new character, because my old one has over 9k credits able to retire, but I don't want to leave Valkyn behind.

Guess it's time to see if any of the other IRE games are worth playing.
    Hmm, it doesn't seem to specify in the announce whether or not you can retire more than one character into the super newbie.
    I think you can. I think all the credits go onto your account into one big pool.
    Correct!
    Aesi said:
    Medi said:
    What happens to clans owned by a character that you retire? Do they remain owned by them forever?
    This, as well as other relevant details re: bloodline and such. Still an honourable entity just forever dormant?

also nice work. As we see, there are so many damn moving parts to this.
    The character still exists, just can not be accessed any more.
  • Aesi said:
    Zuko said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    You're only getting your ooc and bought ic investment back and you have to buy at least 1000 credits ooc.  That completely voids that argument.  
    Well struck sir.

I'd expect Dragonknight would have namechanged by now if allowed. Austere is much less... striking?
    No. ;)
  • Sarapis said:
    Aesi said:
    Zuko said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    Well struck sir.

No. ;)
    Had to make sure that wasn't Lorielan then.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    That's the worst.  What about the other q's, though, boss?  

Have mercy on us mobile users.  No mega quotes!
  • edited January 2016
    Yes, name persists with an honors tag. No, can't kill a character and start afresh with the same name. 14 day limiter: Not looking to let people roll character value into characters with any kind of real history to them. 
    Sarapis said:
    Yes, name persists with an honors tag. No, can't kill a character and start afresh with the same name. 14 day limiter: Not looking to let people roll character value into characters with any kind of real history to them. 
    I was thinking more kill a character from a roleplay stand point.  Everything feels so permanent. For me, if I were to end a character, I think it would be cool to have the name presist with an honors tag about how they were stuck down by x, denied reentry by Thoth, having lived a full life.  It's already requiring divine oversight, what's an extra line about how we thought our character died? 
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I think this is a nice idea, but it would be good if there was an honours line to note that they're retired - perhaps instead of 'He is unranked in Achaea' it could be replaced with 'He has given up adventuring for quiet retirement forever.' Or, if the character is permanently inaccessible, it should be treated as a death. 

I am intrigued by the latter suggestion because it means we can 'complete' the stories of characters now instead of just fading away into inactivity. If some kind of a line is provided to mark that, that would be amazing. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Austere perished at the battle for Targossas Gates,  16 Sarapin, 702 after the fall. 

This way, we're aren't competely killing that characters roleplay. They get to live on as a testimate to the fragility of adventurers
  • Masaryk said:
    Antonius said:
    Zuko said:
    Antonius said:

Personally I can't ever see myself using this, but I do know it's something that a lot of other people have asked for in the past. I'm curious about the reasoning for it having to be used on a newly created character, though. I could see people wanting to consolidate purchases made across multiple characters now that we have multiclass.

Also, thanks ever so much for giving me an easy way to see how much my character is worth, and therefore roughly how much I've spent on the game. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep or anything now...

Try finding those high numbers on three characters :( Gonna have to wash my pillowcase once I'm out of the hospital for dehydration 

Not sure what your numbers look like, but:

All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 41460 credits in escrow.
    If you retire this character, you will receive 39320 transfer credits for use on a new character.

What command did you use to find this? Just curious.

AUCTION ESCROW BUILD and RETIRE VALUE.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I love you guys. 
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Sarapis said:
    Yes, name persists with an honors tag.
    Asara unofficially "retired" to go "meet the Tritonic kings of old." And Jaizsur was officially "retired" by Maya turning him into a wind spirit.

Always hoped players who wanted their character's departure to be with some purpose could one day see it done!
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm curious about housing credits. Some of us built houses before using housing credits based on credit purchases. Of course now housing creds are comms based (huge depreciation on our part). Is Achaean real estate considered our loss or can we deconstruct our houses to add extra value?

• Houses aren't counted at all for this purpose, correct. 
    edited January 2016
    Skye said:
    I'm curious about housing credits. Some of us built houses before using housing credits based on credit purchases. Of course now housing creds are comms based (huge depreciation on our part). Is Achaean real estate considered our loss or can we deconstruct our houses to add extra value?
    Housing isn't counted towards the value, and outside of the period before the changeover happened (ANNOUNCE #4314), won't count now or in the future, sorry!
  • This is a lovely concept, and I applaud you for it, however I will admit that I am a little sad I cannot liquidate old characters I do not play into my current ones.

Might I suggest an option be presented for purchase, similar to the no-brainer, of allowing 1 single use on 1 account to receive liquidated credits from a char to another, with the 14 day limiter not applied?
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Krypton said:
    Sarapis said:
    Yes, name persists with an honors tag.
    Asara unofficially "retired" to go "meet the Tritonic kings of old." And Jaizsur was officially "retired" by Maya turning him into a wind spirit.

Always hoped players who wanted their character's departure to be with some purpose could one day see it done!
    Whoops, missed this - what I get for reading on mobile at 7 am. 

I'm intrigued by this as it offers closure for characters without putting you completely out of your investment, although given 90% of my investment on Jurixe is in housing, alas. But still!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Any leeway on the 14 day rule? If I retired my character right this second, waiting 48 hours would make my new character 15 RL days old. I assume there will be some Admin overview on that?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
    Sobriquet said:
    Any leeway on the 14 day rule? If I retired my character right this second, waiting 48 hours would make my new character 15 RL days old. I assume there will be some Admin overview on that?
    That's all hardcoded restrictions, I'm afraid.
  • Ok, no worries.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Is there any way the messages could show how many credits you have spent if it's less than 1000 rather than just saying "you can't retire because you've spent less than 1000"?

I have a strong suspicion that an alt is pretty near the 1000 mark - near enough that it would make sense to just buy a few more and retire it, but I'm not going to do that blindly.
  • Though I understand why, it kinda sucks its only the current skills/artefacts you have on your character and not your entire credit history, all those credits from class hopping lost.  Of the probably 15k credits I've used, my retire value is 1k :(