Character retirement

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
edited January 2016 in North of Thera
A discussion/Q+A thread for all things related to the new Retirement system! 

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4497                                     (01/11/2016 at 21:12)  
From   : Tecton the Terraformer
To     : Everyone
Subject: Character retirement
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have just released a new Iron Realms wide character retirement program for your benefit. With this system, you'll be able to permanently retire a character, and transfer some of the value to a new character here on Achaea, or on any of the other IRE games.

These credits will be based on the current status and inventory of your character, and you will receive approximately 50% of the characters current skills, artefacts, and many licenses, permits, and other credit-based items. This value does not include credits, lessons, and artefacts received for levelling up, promotions, or other in-game happenings and events.

Recipient characters must be a newly-created character (within 14 30 RL days) who is registered to the same email account as the retiring character to be eligible to draw from the pool of retirement credits.

All of the details of this system are available in HELP RETIREMENT, so please be sure to read this very thoroughly before considering using this feature.

All retirements require the approval of the Administration, and there is a cooldown period in which you must wait to retire your character.

Penned by My hand on the 8th of Aeguary, in the year 703 AF.

Comments

• Sounds interesting! 

• edited January 2016
    isn't artefact refunds 66-75%? Would retirement be looked at the in future for possible returns of up to that instead? If only to reflect artefact tradeins and the fact the character loses all special in event credits gained? 

Just my 2c on a feature that seems pretty cool for those players looking for a fresh start without losing their investments.
  • I think it is lower than 66% value because of the fact you do get a fresh start @Sylvaria.. Just my guess.

It would be nice if we could get a little window here to retire some characters and obtain their value on an older character. Even if it was only for a week.

For example, Zuko was my fresh start character. I have some older characters with good value on them, but unfortunately no way to access it so the system is rendered useless to me. Just a thought, even if it is just for a short period. 
  • Zuko said:
    I think it is lower than 66% value because of the fact you do get a fresh start @Sylvaria.. Just my guess.

It would be nice if we could get a little window here to retire some characters and obtain their value on an older character. Even if it was only for a week.

For example, Zuko was my fresh start character. I have some older characters with good value on them, but unfortunately no way to access it so the system is rendered useless to me. Just a thought, even if it is just for a short period. 
    oh I'm fine with whatever value they put on it personally, but at the same time PERSONALLY I think 75% would be a great return for permanently losing the character, doubt I'll use the feature but you already have to start completely fresh with the newer character. just my 2 sovereigns though :P.
  • Antonius said:

Personally I can't ever see myself using this, but I do know it's something that a lot of other people have asked for in the past. I'm curious about the reasoning for it having to be used on a newly created character, though. I could see people wanting to consolidate purchases made across multiple characters now that we have multiclass.

Also, thanks ever so much for giving me an easy way to see how much my character is worth, and therefore roughly how much I've spent on the game. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep or anything now...

Try finding those high numbers on three characters :( Gonna have to wash my pillowcase once I'm out of the hospital for dehydration 
  • Zuko said:
    Antonius said:

Personally I can't ever see myself using this, but I do know it's something that a lot of other people have asked for in the past. I'm curious about the reasoning for it having to be used on a newly created character, though. I could see people wanting to consolidate purchases made across multiple characters now that we have multiclass.

Also, thanks ever so much for giving me an easy way to see how much my character is worth, and therefore roughly how much I've spent on the game. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep or anything now...

Try finding those high numbers on three characters :( Gonna have to wash my pillowcase once I'm out of the hospital for dehydration 
    What is your highest? :D
  • I think this is a pretty great feature.

How did IRE come up with this feature? It's been asked for numerous times before, but the answer used to be 'not a chance this will ever happen.' I'd love to hear the reasons for allowing players to retire their characters.

Well done to anyone involved in making this happen.
  •  I issued myself, but have  not received a reply yet...but I'm wondering if the new character recipient of the retirement benefits is then considered a permanent character, just as if we'd bought credits. 
    And omg this is the best news ever. Time to retire that Lusternian FOREVER!!! :awesome: 
  • lol seriously? This is the last thing I would have picked.
  • Quisse said:
     I issued myself, but have  not received a reply yet...but I'm wondering if the new character recipient of the retirement benefits is then considered a permanent character, just as if we'd bought credits. 
    And omg this is the best news ever. Time to retire that Lusternian FOREVER!!! :awesome: 
    Ohh wow. You can retire across IRE games? That's cool
  • edited January 2016
    Why is this not at least temporarily available for non new characters? :anguished:

This is an amazing feature, but really sad for those of us who have left old chars with lots of credits already, and are attached to our new ones.

• Zuko said:
    Antonius said:

Not sure what your numbers look like, but:

All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 41460 credits in escrow.
    If you retire this character, you will receive 39320 transfer credits for use on a new character.

• HOLY BLEEP
  • Message #2769       Sent by Meletus
    1/11/21:45 Greetings! In regards to issue #75211: Once they've transferred more than 50 credits, they'll be considered permanent. I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Oh yes. So very yes. This is awesome.
  • This is pretty cool for people switching games or those who ruined their reputation, but I'd love to consolidate all my alts now that we have multiclass as was mentioned :(
  • edited January 2016
    I think maybe the reasoning for only newly created characters being eligible is that it would be a paperwork nightmare otherwise. My first thought when I read this was to dig up my biggest dormant character I ever made and bought credits on from 10 years ago to get a free payday. Now times that by most of the players across all IRE games wanting the same thing all happening at once.
  • Jemaine said:
    I think maybe the reasoning for only newly created characters being eligible is that it would be a paperwork nightmare. My first thought when I read this was to dig up my biggest dormant character I ever made and bought credits on from 10 years ago to get a free payday. Now times that by most of the players across all IRE games wanting the same thing all happening at once.
    Yeah.. Honestly if I got the credits next month I wouldn't care, but it is better than nothing
  • Jemaine said:
    I think maybe the reasoning for only newly created characters being eligible is that it would be a paperwork nightmare. My first thought when I read this was to dig up my biggest dormant character I ever made and bought credits on from 10 years ago to get a free payday. Now times that by most of the players across all IRE games wanting the same thing all happening at once.
    It's pretty harsh on those who have spent thousands of dollars within the last few years though. I could consolidate my characters into a new one and still have more on the new character, because my old one has over 9k credits able to retire, but I don't want to leave Valkyn behind.

Guess it's time to see if any of the other IRE games are worth playing.

• I haven't had a chance to read the help. Is it a one to one or many to one relationship?
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    I always hated the name Austere. 50% value loss on top of dragon and all the other nifty things I have does feel a bit rough.  This would be much more tempting at 66% loss. 

Can you retire two characters into one? 
    Will the name presist, perhaps with an honors tag? 
    If so, is it feasible to kill a character as opposed to retiring? 
    Any specific reason for putting a 14 day limiter on it? 
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Wellll... didn't a lot of us get an e-mail sometime last year about whether we'd be interested maybe in some kind of a sci-fi MUD? IF that becomes a thing and you have a character you want to retire but can't, maybe that's a possibility to wait on. If it happens,  hoping my long-dormant Aetolian characters have enough value to be retired and give their credits to a character on that game.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Valkyn said:
    Jemaine said:
    It's pretty harsh on those who have spent thousands of dollars within the last few years though. I could consolidate my characters into a new one and still have more on the new character, because my old one has over 9k credits able to retire, but I don't want to leave Valkyn behind.

Hmm, it doesn't seem to specify in the announce whether or not you can retire more than one character into the super newbie.
  • Jemaine said:
    Valkyn said:
    Jemaine said:

Hmm, it doesn't seem to specify in the announce whether or not you can retire more than one character into the super newbie.
    I think you can. I think all the credits go onto your account into one big pool.
  • Austere said:
    I always hated the name Austere. 50% value loss on top of dragon and all the other nifty things I have does feel a bit rough.  This would be much more tempting at 66% loss. 

Probably to stop "rolling updates"

create alts - fold em in, 

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    You're only getting your ooc and bought ic investment back and you have to buy at least 1000 credits ooc.  That completely voids that argument.  
  • Austere said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    You're only getting your ooc and bought ic investment back and you have to buy at least 1000 credits ooc.  That completely voids that argument.  
    Well struck sir.

but if it's just a name change why not ask for one ?

seems less destructive unless you want a fresh start 
  • Aesi said:
    Austere said:
    Aesi said:
    Austere said:

create alts - fold em In

alts are not pearls!
    Well struck sir.

but if it's just a name change why not ask for one ?

seems less destructive unless you want a fresh start 
    I'd expect Dragonknight would have namechanged by now if allowed. Austere is much less... striking?