Instanced Dungeons?

I keep running around trying to discover new places to hunt and more importantly find places that aren't constantly hunted out. I was wondering about the possibility of making public dungeons available in an instanced format to allow solo/party hunting that doesn't rely on the area not being cleared by other players. It's an old MMO thing, so not sure if it would be applicable here, but in case it is it would make hunting less of a headache with so many players around all killing the same things.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    No please. Diving already does that, and instances are not really what a game like this is about.  The bashing rework already made it so it's pretty easy to find places that aren't hunted out since they take longer to clear. Just expand your geography.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think Aetolia (another IRE game) has something like that, but doesn't seem to be the direction this game is going at all. Can't say "never" in this game, but it seems unlikely that it'll happen. As Kiet said, exploring and expanding your geography helps a ton. Not only do you discover things that are good for your hunting now, but it gives you things to keep in the back of your mind to hunt as you get bigger and need new areas to keep progressing.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited January 2016
    There are so many places to hunt now it's untrue, just ask someone in the house or city to point you in the right direction for your level. 

Also, we have Dragons now in their early 20's on a regular basis, we don't need to make it even easier.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • This is something i have also thought would be nice.Buddy some odd people together..do a dungeon with randoms you would not normally do.

Keep ideas coming,dont hold back!

• The Fayre and Great Hunt caves are already like this.

It would be cool to see some new things introduced, I'm not sure if a full blown instance is it, though.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Great Hunt caves aren't instanced, they run on a timer just like anything else. The Y700 Great Hunt, however, was similar to the Tower Hunts during the Grim Fayre.

• My mistake!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    No biggie. Would be kind of cool if they were instanced since they come along so rarely.

• Kayeil said:
    No biggie. Would be kind of cool if they were instanced since they come along so rarely.
    I'm torn on it, really. I like the idea of an instance because it's not really done otherwise on a regular basis, but it also sort of feels watered down and too WoW-like.

With that said, the Honours mobs have migrated from group-efforts into tactical fights. This is good and bad, but group efforts have been reduced to just normal hunting now.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm neither for nor against this because I hate bashing either way, but I think I'll add some ideas to this because as I was reading the OP, they popped into my head.

This could eliminate the whole 'everything is hunted out' complaint followed by the 'just find somewhere else' response. It could also create a different problem where automated bashing is more prevalent because of a distinct lack of things like being jumped or pick-pocketing. This could potentially be alleviated by allowing instances to be joined by others, but mobs could only be killed if in a party with the 'instance-owner' or something, while the person hunting could still be targeted by other players.

Additionally, instances could have randomized maps and can only be accessed for a certain amount of time per 12 hour period or something so that these instances can be used to supplement a bashing route when someplace else has been cleared out, rather than a full-fledged alternative to going out and bashing.

I dunno, just some thoughts and ideas.

I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I'm terrible at bashing and only started to do it really when I came back. I can still easily find unbashed places at all times of the day. I almost never run into an area being bashed out, really. Geography should give an advantage in a game like Achaea, because it's a huge world to explore and what's the point of exploring it if you can't use that knowledge for anything? It doesn't even have to be your knowledge, it can simply be asking other people. Social interaction is also meant to be a big part of Achaea.

Secondly, bashing is one of the few times people have to actually leave their cities and be exposed to the greater world, like Bluji said. That also extends to PK, of course, and also simply to running into someone else and striking up conversation. Instances would be a 100% safe way of getting experience, and Achaea does not need 100% safe ways of getting rewards. Even if you allow other people to jump into the instance but not hit the mobs, what's the point? Fighting over mobs might be trivial, but it's still some sort of interaction. If I want to stop the enemy city from bashing up an area to defile, I can bash it up myself right now. Sure, you could PK them, but not everyone is going to want to go that route immediately and it's better to have more options, not less.

Achaea is not a game like wow where the only point is to bash till level 100 and then you go and raid. There are a lot of other things to do in Achaea, and they're all meant to be interconnected. Instancing completely ignores these other things and cuts them out entirely from interacting with bashing.
    That's why I said something that rarely comes up may be an interesting way of using the instanced format, which the admins have already done with the Tower Hunts and the Y700 Great Hunt. However, I do prefer the traditional Great Hunt format. The mad dash to run around and try to keep things on a timer if you're trying to place, running from area to area for hours upon hours until the very end and your nerves are frayed and you feel pretty much braindead after so much mindless bashing. The instanced areas got really old really fast with little excitement, so I'd not be happy with it becoming a thing over traditional hunting.

• On the other hand, I loved the GH areas for year 700. No 48hr running around frazzled, bedazzled and jazzled while trying to keep track of timers and damn that person who delayed you a minute now someone else is wiping your area with a better grip on what the timing is. God forbid you planned to see your mother that specific weekend for a few hours because if so say bye-bye to any chance of placing.

People were able to put in the best effort at the most convenient time they could focus on the task at hand (scheduling their run around work hours, family commitments, taking care of themselves.) My only complaint as the waves which Tecton already said will be tied to time intervals next attempt.
  • The Y700 XP event areas weren't instanced in the true sense. They were just four separate areas, and you had a random chance when you joined the event to be assigned to one of them. You were still sharing it with other people.
  • I, too, preferred the new method over the old.

The Great Hunt should not be based on who has the least amount of responsibilities (or can shirk them long enough) and the most amount of Red Bull/Mt Dew. Not a fan of that setup.

• What I would be a fan of is procedural generated sets of rooms (I guess a dungeon would be a good word) -- just a kind of zelda like maze. keys hidden, open keys, complete maze. Maybe tougher mob at the end?

Focus more on puzzle than hunting though
  • I'd think a balance of the two (y700 and Greathunt) would work great. One of the major problems for the tower was that denizens would crowd into one or two rooms, making the entire thing useless until that one room was solved. 

Maybe something like a personal timer (4 hours, or whatever the tower was) and activate it on a character by character basis so that the experience accumulated during those 4 hours only counts for the greathunt rankings. 
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited January 2016
    The only instances I would ever support in Achaea would be for <level 25 people only, with a party queue system, so newbies could easily find other people to bash with (in their level range) and make friends in the game. The only problem would be that it would give them the impression the rest of Achaea is instanced.

• I like the idea of instanced dungeons, now that I've played an MMO (TOR). I understand the opposition to them, and I think making regular bashing grounds instanced wouldn't be a great idea (especially now that bashing has slowed significantly compared to pre-Battlerage times). I do think, though, instanced dungeons with "missions", sequences of interactions, battles, quests, etc, would be an epic addition to Achaea. 
  • Nothing instanced would be good for Achaea unless there was a way for people to crash the party. I've played a ton of dungeon/raiding style mmos, and it's fun there, but Achaea is not wow and shouldn't try to be. If someone wants to play wow, they'll quite frankly play wow instead, because wow has a multimillion dollar budget. Achaea stands out due to uniqueness, why take that away?

The idea of DnD style dungeons with puzzles and bigger fights and even a boss at the end is good. But there's no reason to make that 100% instanced.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Portions of the newbie quest are already instanced. I think that the fluidity and way they do it is very nice and wouldn't mind seeing more of that type of thing for questing scenarios or even very specific denizens. I don't like the idea of everyday hunting being instanced outside of major events, though. 
  • Kiet said:
    Nothing instanced would be good for Achaea unless there was a way for people to crash the party. I've played a ton of dungeon/raiding style mmos, and it's fun there, but Achaea is not wow and shouldn't try to be. If someone wants to play wow, they'll quite frankly play wow instead, because wow has a multimillion dollar budget. Achaea stands out due to uniqueness, why take that away?

The idea of DnD style dungeons with puzzles and bigger fights and even a boss at the end is good. But there's no reason to make that 100% instanced.
    The issue I have with that is the "allowing people to crash the party" statement, especially if the intent is to ruin someone's hunting trip. It's not a 'make all hunting instanced' suggestion. Really, it's just something to kind of prioritize challenging and rewarding group and solo hunting. Someone said there are 20yo characters getting dragon these days. I don't see that as a result of hunting being too easy as much as an experienced player rolling a new character and already knowing the ropes.
  • Hirgrim said:
    Kiet said:
    Nothing instanced would be good for Achaea unless there was a way for people to crash the party. I've played a ton of dungeon/raiding style mmos, and it's fun there, but Achaea is not wow and shouldn't try to be. If someone wants to play wow, they'll quite frankly play wow instead, because wow has a multimillion dollar budget. Achaea stands out due to uniqueness, why take that away?

The issue I have with that is the "allowing people to crash the party" statement, especially if the intent is to ruin someone's hunting trip. It's not a 'make all hunting instanced' suggestion. Really, it's just something to kind of prioritize challenging and rewarding group and solo hunting. Someone said there are 20yo characters getting dragon these days. I don't see that as a result of hunting being too easy as much as an experienced player rolling a new character and already knowing the ropes.
    eh, I was a true newb and made it at 29.

it's not a measure of skill so much as a measure of time. If you are hunting constantly (as I was) you're going to get there sooner. I was hunting probably 4-8 hours a day to get mine. Others can't dedicate that much time to get it sooner, so they get it when they are older.

So that being said, age isn't a really fair metric to measure it against. Apparently it used to be way harder/take way longer, but I still see it as an accomplishment due to the time involved.
  • Sobriquet said:
    It's not a case of ruining a hunting trip, it's about instances allowing people to go hunting with little or no consequence to their current status or actions.

Left Mhaldor under a cloud? Go hunt in instances and ex-city mates can't get you
    Mark? Hunting in instances so people can't get you
    Infamous? Hunting in instances so other infamous people can't get you
    Recently raided a city? Hunt in instances so people can't continue the RP (Yes, I went there) that you just instigated
    Recently dropped a shrine, or had a bounty placed on your head, or a Mark contract... you get my point.

I really don't see instanced hunting areas being of any benefit to Achaea at all unless you want a single player game and hunt to dragon.

I can agree with this. Ships could already be aggravating enough in this vein.

I'd be okay with challenge instances, but everything else should be open world in my mind.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited January 2016
    Jonathin said:

This could potentially be alleviated by allowing instances to be joined by others, but mobs could only be killed if in a party with the 'instance-owner' or something, while the person hunting could still be targeted by other players.
    Just wanted to restate a point that I made yesterday before most of you posted your hate of an idea because escaping consequences.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Sobriquet said:
    It's not a case of ruining a hunting trip, it's about instances allowing people to go hunting with little or no consequence to their current status or actions.

Left Mhaldor under a cloud? Go hunt in instances and ex-city mates can't get you
    Recently raided a city? Hunt in instances so people can't continue the RP (Yes, I went there) that you just instigated
    Recently dropped a shrine, or had a bounty placed on your head, or a Mark contract... you get my point.

I really don't see instanced hunting areas being of any benefit to Achaea at all unless you want a single player game and hunt to dragon.

- Raided a city recently? One Achaean day cooldown (minimum) before can enter into an instanced dungeon.
    - Mark? Can't enter.
    - Infamous? Can't enter.
    - Recently performed an aggressive action against a person or shrine? See bullet point one.

I'm not interested in creating a 'safe haven' for people, just balancing the hunt scene when people don't have 4-8 hours a day (seriously who has that much free time?) to grind out areas. Some people get maybe 1-2 hours a day to play, and to give example I've run through multiple areas including recommendations from house scrolls and members, and inevitably there's always someone just leaving who has hunted it out. I even picked up Iron Elite to bolster the time I can hunt with the experience boost, which is helping, but it seems a little lopsided. 
  • Maybe it's not so much an issue at higher level, guess time will tell. Just seems to be a competition in current level bracket.
  • Hirgrim said:
    Sobriquet said:

- Raided a city recently? One Achaean day cooldown (minimum) before can enter into an instanced dungeon.
    - Mark? Can't enter.
    - Infamous? Can't enter.
    - Recently performed an aggressive action against a person or shrine? See bullet point one.

I'm not interested in creating a 'safe haven' for people, just balancing the hunt scene when people don't have 4-8 hours a day (seriously who has that much free time?) to grind out areas. Some people get maybe 1-2 hours a day to play, and to give example I've run through multiple areas including recommendations from house scrolls and members, and inevitably there's always someone just leaving who has hunted it out. I even picked up Iron Elite to bolster the time I can hunt with the experience boost, which is helping, but it seems a little lopsided. 
    eh it's not that I -HAD- to, it's because I wanted to challenge myself.

You are completely viable combat wise at level 80, the rest is just wanting to make it to the pve "endgame" of sorts, and becoming a sweet ass dragon.