Wireless Router?

So I have an older wireless router Linksys WRT310N... and my wifi adapter on my PC is even older broadcom 802.11g.

Here is my issue... at times I can go hours and hours on my network no issues.... and other times like last night and today (more frequently than not) I completely disconnect from my router and reconnect about a minute later.  Obviously annoying. I thought it was my adapter but the same thing happens on my phone/laptop. It doesn't happen when I plug directly into the Linksys via ethernet but this isn't really an option because of... reasons.

Is this the router? Should I buy a new one? I think I bought this one because the old one i had was doing the same exact thing. :-1: 

Help me wifi-on-kenobi... you are... my only hope.

Comments

• I had this issue before!

Do you have wireless house-phones?  Some of them share the same frequency as your router, and when you pick up the line it kills your wireless. 

Are you in an apartment? Other wifi signals can really screw it up. Also see above

Any correlation to video game console remotes? Some of those can cause interference.

Try changing the channel of your wifi (usually in the router, labelled as, you guessed it, "channel"). This can help with some of the issues above, most routers come default on the same channel and changing it can help.

All I can think of for now. Good luck!
  • You can download a phone app that'll show how many access points are on each channel. Might can find one that will show interference as well, not sure. If you change the channel, make sure you only use channels 1,6, or 11; The channels overlap, so everyone sticks to those three to keep from overlapping. 

Microwaves are a common source of interference, see if that's causing your connectivity problems.

Wired is the way to go (my ISP-provided modem-AP occasionally drops wifi for some reason, but I don't lose connectivity on my PC since I'm wired to it).
  • Echo the Channel changing, has solved issues for me in the past

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited January 2016
    Jacen said:
    If you change the channel, make sure you only use channels 1,6, or 11; The channels overlap, so everyone sticks to those three to keep from overlapping.

To expand on this briefly, there are measures in place for interference on same-channel. These measures do not exist for overlapping adjacent channels.

As a result, picture 5 people on channel 6 as 5 people pausing and giving each other time (milliseconds in router-time) to talk. Picture 5 people on 4 5 6 7 8 as all talking at once and trying to speak over each other/hear through that mess.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Thanks everyone... I'll let you know what I did previously and what I'll try :)

It's just odd because it's a newer problem. I'd like to blame my roommates ghetto-af microwave but dont think it can hold all the blame

• So i've tried everything but changing my channel. It seems to work thus far :+1: 

• so i thought i'd changed my channel before... but apparently i was still on channel 1... which makes sense... but not i'm not... so i havent been d/c'd since :dizzy: 

things go faster :D

• Update: changing to ch 11 worked for a time, but then the last couple days I started getting the same problems.  I downloaded a wifi monitor so I could see what channel I should use... Looks like 6. Still running into the dc issue. :( 

Odd because it's only on my pc so it makes me think it's my wireless adapter...my laptop and phone stay connected when my pc loses.

Also, I open up my network viewer and i still see others in my area, just not mine, until it randomly reappears and i reconnect..

Time for me to rearrange my room and buy a huge cable

• hrm... well....

ghetto wire ethernet cable up walls to my room... and awesome speeds meow

• wired > wireless. glad it's working dude.
  • Szanthax said:
    hrm... well....

ghetto wire ethernet cable up walls to my room... and awesome speeds meow

I went through 3 different wireless adapter cards and routers and still struggled with frequent dc issues a few years back, so I ended up getting cabled, wireless is nice for browsing, or things that require a log in then offline, but for streaming and constant connection I've had nothing but problems.