Ship trade between docked ships

2»

Comments

• Did you miss the part where I said there was nothing in the code about how much we could take? Also they aren't MY pirates.  I retired like a month ago.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm not even going to argue this anymore and keep off topic. You were nothing more than a griefer.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • And you went OOC the second you hit harbour.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited December 2012
    Edit: No. I'm not continuing this argument, as I stated. If you want to continue to derail this thread and post falsehoods to try and discredit me, feel free.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    So you got robbed by pirates (it's kind of in the job description), and you gave up sailing? Ok then, that's your decision. I've boarded someone, taken everything not nailed down, and they RP'd it out that they would come after me one day. A couple of RL months later, they did come after me, and had apparently spent that time learning more about seafaring, ship combat, and ship command. It was a good fight, and I was glad to have the interaction both times.

• That was dumb, even by Mosr standards
  • Daeir said:
    Katzchen said:

Yeah, pretty much what Jonathin said... they took off with everything in my chest (50-80 longswords & rapiers, none of them good, but that's a fair bit of steel when smelted) and 900 ish moss or potash, some jewellery and such, and killed two of my crew. This is after demanding all in my strongbox and pack (150k). I only managed to get away unsunk (on 5% hull and on fire) because my stalling had managed to give time for Hashani ships to get there and attack them while they were trying to extort the gold from me.

As a very new captain, this experience basically put me off sailing, I sold my ship a while back, because I couldn't do a trade route without feeling paranoid and freaking out OOC every time I saw a ship, and it was just horrible. I'm sure I wasn't the only one too, because pretty much every time I came into the same screen as another ship that wasn't a pirate, they turned tail and fled, one even 'jeering' at me after they 'got away' despite the fact that I was trying to avoid them... probably because my humble cutter with no weapons flew a Mhaldorian flag.

This is ridiculous. If anybody has ever had a reaction like this to any theft attempts I've made, I would stop it immediately without a second thought. That sounds nuts.

How would you know if they were upset about it OOCly? Not everybody who freaks out is going to wail at you in tells. The only way to guarantee that nobody is going to get upset on the wrong side of the screen is not to steal from people, and I think we'd all agree that there should be theft in the game.  That said, as the only reasonable way to get a ship is to spend real money, it's obvious that people are gonna be more emotionally invested in ships than in the contents of the average kitbag.  Sounds to me as if a little hardcoding is going to be the only way to bottom this out.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited December 2012
    Totally wrong thread. Sorry guys.
  • Never sailed, nor had any ships.

If your RP crosses anothers to the point where they want to completely abandon that aspect of the game, than it is wrong. Restraint with common sense in mind is required in order to have fun. This was same with theft, combat. Theft and piracy should be a RP tool, and not huge money generating tool (i.e. stealing millions of gold, except shop break ins). I like the way theft was nerfed in Achaea. It still lets you RP out being a thief, or a thief hunter.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I had a novice lose a spar to another novice the other day because he was new and had no idea what he was doing. He said he'd never spar again. Was it wrong for the other novice (who also had no idea what he was doing) to beat him?

Like anything else in Achaea, you have to learn how to play the game. The issue here is that people keep buying these super-expensive ships to do their own thing, but they never bother to read the owner's manual or learn how to protect them. I agree that there needs to be player restraint and moderation, and I've seen some dick moves by pirates and Mhaldorians, but it's not their fault when other people spend 0 time learning to protect themselves on the seas and then ragequit when they lose because of that lack of preparation. It's like joining Mark with no combat experience.

Moderation is always expected, but the system isn't broken just because the masses aren't putting the time in to learn how to play.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited December 2012
    Wtf
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.