A look at Satyrs...

13»

Comments

• Xoran is better in every way than Satyr if you want to focus on str, though. Troll too if you're not a monk. That endurance regen isn't usually going to make up for the con since con gives you more endurance to start.
  • edited December 2015

Hmm. I suppose that is true. There are some interesting applications of having that intelligence. I think a Satyr would make a good bard with pretty respectable damage. Perhaps that was what their intention was with the race.

Edit: Maybe not. Dwarf again would be 12/15/12 for str con int whereas satyr would be 13/13/12 with less useful racials (imo). Does one point of strength really matter that much for damage? I feel like 2 con could make up for an entire hit while also increasing endurance and sip amounts, unless one strength is more significant than I think it is? Also, if a Satyr goes strength specc his int is only 11.

• Xoran has 12 int without sacrificing con!
  • Kiet said:
    Xoran has 12 int without sacrificing con!

Inb4 @Aepas's XoranMasterRace
  • Atalkez said:

I think the high end (dragon levels) unartied health value is only going to be around 6000 health, at Con spec. That's not really a significant difference in prep time from 4000 health.
    5200 for 15 con at level 100, fwiw. 
  • 4300 at 12 con @ 100. 4000 at 11 con. It's 300 health per con at 100.

• Valkyn said:
    4300 at 12 con @ 100. 4000 at 11 con. It's 300 health per con at 100.

That doesn't seem so significant anymore..
  • edited December 2015

So 2 con makes up 600 health at level 100, and one strength adds about 50 to a single jab (for a bard at least I believe), what else scales more significantly with strength? Disembowels? Dsls? Perhaps that one strength could easily make up for 600 health by that level.

Edit: Back on track though, I see why a satyr would be better than say a troll in the case of int being relevant, but then in that case, why would it be better than Xoran?

• Drot said:

So 2 con makes up 600 health at level 100, and one strength adds about 50 to a single jab (for a bard at least I believe), what else scales more significantly with strength? Disembowels? Dsls? Perhaps that one strength could easily make up for 600 health by that level.

I think 21-22 Str is the marker for getting a 100% damage instakill on disembowls, so the extra point of strength can mean the difference between killing your target and them tanking it.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• It's definitely going to depend on the player, their level, and how survivable they need to be. Xoran's still gonna be the best, though, so we're still punishing rp choices in combat.

This isn't dungeons and dragons, where stats affect quite a bit of what your character mechanically can do, as well as certain parts of your rp. People aren't going to roleplay a single stat point of difference, and on average don't really roleplay their stats much at all (short of certain stats changing their personal attributes in major ways). I just don't think it makes sense that people should ever have to choose between rp and combat in a game that relies on and intertwines both.

• Any system that forces the player to decide on "what I want to play" vs "what I need to play to be successful", is not a good system in my opinion.

You can min/max just fine without needing to tie races to different stat packs. Sure, a Grook may be inherently smarter than a Troll, but that doesn't mean the Troll can't learn and get even with the Grook or even bypass the Grook in terms of abilities. Doesn't really make sense to me on a mechanical level to punish selecting of one race over another.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Drot said:

Edit: Back on track though, I see why a satyr would be better than say a troll in the case of int being relevant, but then in that case, why would it be better than Xoran?

Refer to my original post.

"The endurance regen + max str is going to be the best bashing race/combo for any class that uses endurance and doesn't indefinitely regen it."

Xoran will be better in most cases, but if you are going for dragon asap as a strength class that can't bash indefinitely, Satyr is the race that will let you bash to dragon the fastest. It's a niche that most people won't ever need to fill, but it's there.