homeport sea spell changes

As far as the home port sea spell i'd like to expand on it. suppose you were able to pay x amount of gold at a harbor to make it your home port. only changeable once per achaean year or make it prohibitivly expensive to change very often, in return you would get a private berth at the harbor and be able to dock there even if it's full and the homeport seaspell takes you there instead of your last left port

Comments

• Homeport is designed as a last ditch action for emergencies when you just can't make it to another harbour/have to leave the game whilst sailing. I don't think we're interested in making it a convenience option, or to make it facilitate ease of travel.
  • I don't really see that as a convenience or ease of travel upgrade. I see that as a viable solution to the myriad people complaining about how harbors are worked and over crowded. Also most people would be Much further from a homeport like I describe than from their last left port. For instance in a ship trade so returning to their home port rather than their last port in the event of such an emergency would be decidedly inconvenient. As to a travel facilitator I think it would be a simple thing to make it more stressful on the ship for using home port. You could even make it more costly to the ship the greater the distance to the port

• Also to prevent people from abusing it by switching their homeport every time they dock you could give the ability to set a homeport a very long cool down or make it prohibitively expensive to do so
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    People are generally going to complain anytime a big change is made to Seafaring. I haven't had time to test the new homeport thing, but on paper it makes sense and I think is a good option. There have been many times I was in the middle of sailing and suddenly something came up that required my attention, so I had to just rush to the nearest port before logging off, or tag someone in to shipreturn and take over.

If you go to a dock and it's full, well, there's usually at least one or two more within reasonable sailing distance. 

The way they implemented this is as it should be: a last ditch effort when the real world beckons and you have to leave the realms suddenly, but are out to sea. It's not an "Oh shit" button.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited November 2015
    Lithorin said:

If you are sent back to the port of your last trade because you need to use homeport, it's likely not really important due to the fact that you just cut your arm off or something. When you come back though, you didn't lose anything but figurehead power (or the whole figurehead if it's not resetting) and some time which is the whole point of the skill.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Having tested it somewhat extensively, I'm of the opinion this was a very good change just the way it is. As was already said its more of an emergency measure for when something comes up in real life. It isn't very abuseable in it's current form. 

I just wonder what happens when you try to homeport back to a harbour that is already at capacity. 
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Anaria said:
    Having tested it somewhat extensively, I'm of the opinion this was a very good change just the way it is. As was already said its more of an emergency measure for when something comes up in real life. It isn't very abuseable in it's current form. 

I just wonder what happens when you try to homeport back to a harbour that is already at capacity. 
    The harbour master is pretty good about greasing up the hulls of your ship, allowing you to squeeze in, even if it's full.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    The above needs someone to depict it via art, because the image in my head is absolutely amazing right now.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Melodie said:
    The above needs someone to depict it via art, because the image in my head is absolutely amazing right now.
    A new, meaningless task for swabbies everywhere. Grease the hull!

• Never met a sailor that didn't appreciate a little "hull grease".
    Kinilan said:
    Never met a sailor that didn't appreciate a little "hull grease".

• Kresslack said:
    Kinilan said:

Don't you mean "you get the hull out?"
    Sylvaria said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kinilan said:

You're in some way related to him...aren't you?

• Kresslack said:
    Sylvaria said:
    Kresslack said:
    Kinilan said:

You're in some way related to him...aren't you?
    We have a steady friend-ship-