Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Lack of Players?

124

Comments

  • KietKiet Member Posts: 3,263 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Man I started playing at about the same time and people definitely raided because they felt like it.  How can you possibly say they didn't when Jarik was terrorizing Hashan for sport? Nostalgia is nice but let's not let it cloud the actual realities of things.
    TreyXinna
  • TibithaTibitha Member Posts: 742 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Sarapis said:
    Jacen said:
    I read some book about a kid playing a MUD, googled the term, and Achaea was the first result. I know its a long stretch, but expanding to other medias seems like it'd have a decent shot of succeeding. Books, comic books, tabletop RPGs, boardgames, etc. I have no idea how much of an investment any of this would take, and I imagine you've probably already though of and dismissed these ideas, but it seems like a good way to reach out to the type of people that would enjoy a MUD game.
    Not doable for us I'm afraid, and super unlikely to drive many players here anyway. Consider that we have a MUD (Midkemia Online) that's literally the only official online game property out there for a book series that has sold over 15 million copies and it's still our least-popular MUD.

    ------ Ah crud, I made the mistake of backspacing, now I'm stuck in the quote box again, on mobile.

    Easy fix, rename it to Aamidkemia Online. In our world of alphabetised lists its not surprising there's a distinct correlation between how early your name is listed and its popularity. Just take a look at the names of the muds in the top ten. We see the same correlation in our company. 
    Anedhel
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 5,264 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Sarapis said:
    Cynlael said:


    Was released in Q3 (august specifically) of 2006. Note how it's not even close to when WoW's subs were at its peak? Your comparison is failing, mate. Believe what you want, a LOT of people will agree that Vanilla isn't close to as good as people 'remember' it as. Just go play on Nostalrius (most popular vanilla private server, and most bugfree) if you want proof of that.
    A lot of people consistently remember the time they started playing a MUD/MMO as the best time in it ever. Everything was fresh and new to them then, and of course the game at the state it was when they started playing is why they started playing.

    Not just a problem with MUDs. Happens with most games and some IRL activities too.

  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Feature-wise and mechanically, Achaea's probably the best it's ever been.

    World narrative advancement has dropped off sharply in favor of smaller interactions though - there's very little world event stuff that happens anymore, no more prophet yelling, no god conflicts over shouts, no zap battles, no tritonic legions perishing in battle via deathsight. The best thing we've had in that regard post-Worldreaver was the Umbrinite plague stuff and the associated Borak stuff, but it was there, and it went for a long while and had an excellent ending that still hasn't been expanded upon.

    On top of that absence of stuff, the Cauda Pavonis has all but vanished completely, there's been no word from any of the Azatlans (publicly at least), the wall on Meropis still remains as inscrutable as ever.

    Things are very static at the macro level. There's no conflict being introduced anymore, only being made natively by the structures that already exist in the game. That is fine, but there is no true "lose" condition to ever advance these to a fever pitch. The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen at the moment to a city is the full wipe of their guards and coffers to replace them.

    The little things are nice, but a lot of us did not start playing Achaea for the little. I loved the Worldreaver event and that whole period thereafter where everything was in huge flux and there was a lot riding on the line. It seems though that once the honeymoon ended, any sense of that vibrancy the world had before went with it.

    I'm finding it very difficult personally to keep an interest in Achaea anymore because of it, and it really makes me sad.
    Kakotas
  • ValkynValkyn Member Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Between multiclass, the ship overhaul, the renaissance and the year 700 events... I'm not surprised we haven't seen any major stuff lately, give it time!

    I'm very pleased with all the changes lately, and happy to wait for more big flavour events while this stuff is sorted.

    ShirszaeSilvarien
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San DiegoMember Posts: 1,906 @ - Epic Achaean
    Daeir said:
    Feature-wise and mechanically, Achaea's probably the best it's ever been.

    World narrative advancement has dropped off sharply in favor of smaller interactions though - there's very little world event stuff that happens anymore, no more prophet yelling, no god conflicts over shouts, no zap battles, no tritonic legions perishing in battle via deathsight. The best thing we've had in that regard post-Worldreaver was the Umbrinite plague stuff and the associated Borak stuff, but it was there, and it went for a long while and had an excellent ending that still hasn't been expanded upon.

    On top of that absence of stuff, the Cauda Pavonis has all but vanished completely, there's been no word from any of the Azatlans (publicly at least), the wall on Meropis still remains as inscrutable as ever.

    Things are very static at the macro level. There's no conflict being introduced anymore, only being made natively by the structures that already exist in the game. That is fine, but there is no true "lose" condition to ever advance these to a fever pitch. The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen at the moment to a city is the full wipe of their guards and coffers to replace them.

    The little things are nice, but a lot of us did not start playing Achaea for the little. I loved the Worldreaver event and that whole period thereafter where everything was in huge flux and there was a lot riding on the line. It seems though that once the honeymoon ended, any sense of that vibrancy the world had before went with it.

    I'm finding it very difficult personally to keep an interest in Achaea anymore because of it, and it really makes me sad.
    I'll agree with valkyn here. They just finished cleaning up all the cities, everyone's a faction... Let the age of factions begin!!



  • SaevaSaeva Member Posts: 1,944 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    When you consider how many big overhauls have taken place on top of the fact that there are so very few divine, I'm frankly surprised they have gotten most of these things done -and- focused on the Adryn event and now the year 700 games. The stale feeling can be, mostly,  attributed to the players and their need for hand holding .


    ValkynKasyaQuisseKiet
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It isn't really about hand-holding and more about the absence of any real focus on a grand narrative in favor of these smaller seasonal/interim events. I get why they do it, and they're definitely doing it very well (y700 looks pretty cool for instance), but I personally am just a bit disappointed that there's been less focus on the overarching story over the years.

    Don't get me wrong. Loved the shit out of the Gauntlet and the Fayre and all the other stuff they've done thus far. Just want me some of that sick world-building from the Divine end, too.
    SaevaGamdenAntidasKakotas
  • SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    We could always have another undead invasion.

    Or Slith.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."



    Gamden
  • AesiAesi Member Posts: 1,222 @ - Epic Achaean
    Oooh zombies! Zombie invasion!
  • GamdenGamden Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Daeir said:
    It isn't really about hand-holding and more about the absence of any real focus on a grand narrative in favor of these smaller seasonal/interim events. I get why they do it, and they're definitely doing it very well (y700 looks pretty cool for instance), but I personally am just a bit disappointed that there's been less focus on the overarching story over the years.

    Don't get me wrong. Loved the shit out of the Gauntlet and the Fayre and all the other stuff they've done thus far. Just want me some of that sick world-building from the Divine end, too.
    +1

    Everything he said

  • TrevizeTrevize Member Posts: 1,517 @ - Epic Achaean
    What's funny is when there were more overarching stories and less individual flavour stuff, I heard regular complaints about that dynamic too, with people asking for what we're seeing lately.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    KietKasya
  • KhelKhel Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Well yeah. Different people like different things.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,178 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    SHADDUP AND VOTE!

    Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    KasyaAntidas
  • SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aesi said:
    Oooh zombies! Zombie invasion!
    Maybe Ugrach finally got tired of somebody up top sending relics to him in the mail while broadcasting the relic locations to every adventurer and their mother. Who then subsequently come down and punch him in the face for them.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."



  • TrevizeTrevize Member Posts: 1,517 @ - Epic Achaean
    Sarathai said:
    Aesi said:
    Oooh zombies! Zombie invasion!
    Maybe Ugrach finally got tired of somebody up top sending relics to him in the mail while broadcasting the relic locations to every adventurer and their mother. Who then subsequently come down and punch him in the face for them.

    Is this where he starts bashing Ashtan to get arties/gold/xp?
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    SarapisSiduri
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'll look forward to it, then!
  • HellenHellen Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I'll go ahead and add my voice in, why not?

    Far as I can tell, Achaea's doing just fine in terms of mechanics. They've chosen to focus on a more novice-friendly approach, which is what will keep Achaea running for a long time. Furthermore, as was mentioned previously, they've mostly been reworking mechanics for this year. Multiclass was a big one.

    Really, the only thing that I can think of that was lost was class identity. There's not a lot of focus on that any longer, which is both good and bad. Some concepts can be easily expanded to include other classes, but several other concepts usually require someone to do something rather than just know something. Like alchemy, or apostasy, or the forestal classes.

    This lack of focus on these professions opens up a lot of options, but it also means that being a specific class outside of maybe Targossas and Mhaldor is more like wearing a jacket than anything.

    Really, any other faults I find that Achaea has is more intrinsic to the nature of the game itself.
  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,795 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Batista said:
    As someone who used to rag on the admins constantly back in the day (sorry for that, guys), I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with all the new stuff I see. Achaea seems a bit unfamiliar at the moment to me, but I'm excited to tinker around with the new toys.

    Still miss the Maldaathi, though. Papa Xenomorph must be spinning in his soulcage about now.
    Knights could still use you, it's too bad you can't come back. We let @Cooper back in, ffs.

    BatistaCooperKakotas
  • BatistaBatista Member Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Trey said:
    Batista said:
    As someone who used to rag on the admins constantly back in the day (sorry for that, guys), I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with all the new stuff I see. Achaea seems a bit unfamiliar at the moment to me, but I'm excited to tinker around with the new toys.

    Still miss the Maldaathi, though. Papa Xenomorph must be spinning in his soulcage about now.
    Knights could still use you, it's too bad you can't come back. We let @Cooper back in, ffs.

    A huge part of the reason I wanted to. But, since I can't, I'll just work on my promo skills to express myself. Like so:



  • BozBoz Member Posts: 1
    Batista said:
    Trey said:
    Batista said:
    As someone who used to rag on the admins constantly back in the day (sorry for that, guys), I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with all the new stuff I see. Achaea seems a bit unfamiliar at the moment to me, but I'm excited to tinker around with the new toys.

    Still miss the Maldaathi, though. Papa Xenomorph must be spinning in his soulcage about now.
    Knights could still use you, it's too bad you can't come back. We let @Cooper back in, ffs.

    A huge part of the reason I wanted to. But, since I can't, I'll just work on my promo skills to express myself. Like so:



    Did someone mention wrasslin'?
    Batista
  • BatistaBatista Member Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Boz said:
    Batista said:
    Trey said:
    Batista said:
    As someone who used to rag on the admins constantly back in the day (sorry for that, guys), I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with all the new stuff I see. Achaea seems a bit unfamiliar at the moment to me, but I'm excited to tinker around with the new toys.

    Still miss the Maldaathi, though. Papa Xenomorph must be spinning in his soulcage about now.
    Knights could still use you, it's too bad you can't come back. We let @Cooper back in, ffs.

    A huge part of the reason I wanted to. But, since I can't, I'll just work on my promo skills to express myself. Like so:



    Did someone mention wrasslin'?

    If you think that's going to bring out my inner BATMONTER, I can't say that it won't.
  • SylvariaSylvaria Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Kiet said:
    Man I started playing at about the same time and people definitely raided because they felt like it.  How can you possibly say they didn't when Jarik was terrorizing Hashan for sport? Nostalgia is nice but let's not let it cloud the actual realities of things.
    Ashtan and Mhaldor used to bum buddy and smash shallam on a daily basis. Once icons came in it was near impossible to leave an icon up, with there being a whole assortment of dragon ashtani/mhaldorians spamming choke/chaosrays for days...
    Kakotas
  • SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Sylvaria said:
    Kiet said:
    Man I started playing at about the same time and people definitely raided because they felt like it.  How can you possibly say they didn't when Jarik was terrorizing Hashan for sport? Nostalgia is nice but let's not let it cloud the actual realities of things.
    Ashtan and Mhaldor used to bum buddy and smash shallam on a daily basis. Once icons came in it was near impossible to leave an icon up, with there being a whole assortment of dragon ashtani/mhaldorians spamming choke/chaosrays for days...
    Was it Mhaldor or Ashtan who camped out in Fish Street for several days before the admins had to tell them to leave? I seem to remember that happening once.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."



  • KietKiet Member Posts: 3,263 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It happened several times, usually a mix of Ashtani/Mhaldorians/rogues since no one cared about being picky with allies back then
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,358 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Who was it that replaced all of Shallam's totems with their own? :pleased: 
  • SylvariaSylvaria Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tahquil said:
    Who was it that replaced all of Shallam's totems with their own? :pleased: 
    Jarik during his mhaldor stint I think, could have been caine though but jarik is the only prominent runewarden of mhaldor I remember
Sign In to Comment.