Year 700!

TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
Year 700 is just around the corner! At this stage, we're looking at December 2nd at around 2300 GMT for the turning of the year and the commencement of the celebrations!

I'll have a lot more information coming in subsequent posts, but here's a timeline for festivities and championship events so that you can arrange your schedules:

December 2:

• ~2300 GMT - Year 700 begins with a Treasure Hunt (HELP TREASUREHUNT)

December 5:

• 0300 GMT - Drinking Contest
  • 1700 GMT - Twins Combat Tourney (** Championship Event **)

December 6:

• 1800 GMT - Foozle (** Championship Event **)

December 8:

• 0200 GMT - Arena Jousting Contest

December 9:

• 2200 GMT - Ship arena battle royale

December 10:

• 1700 GMT - Master Riddle

December 11:

• 0000 GMT - XP Event starts (** Championship Event **)

December 12:

• 2359 GMT - XP Event ends (** Championship Event **)

December 13:

• 1700 GMT - Tumbleraces (** Championship Event **)
  • 2200 GMT - Quiz (** Championship Event **)

December 14:

• 2300 GMT - Ship race

December 15:

• ~1000 GMT - Year 700 ends
  • TBD - Awards Ceremony

December 19:

• 2300 GMT - Capture the Flag

You'll see some big changes to many of the events, and many other smaller contests throughout these festivities as well, so stay tuned!

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Since I've had a lot of questions about things:

1) Tumble races will be all-new, the only similarities to the old tumble races are that you tumble, and it's a race. (*)
    2) Foozle replaces Bandersnatch, and there are a few new changes (*).
    3) XP event isn't 48 hours long, you'll just have a 48 hour window to compete (*).

(*) I'll be doing posts with further details on these events in the lead-up to the commencement of the games.

• Jhui said:
    Should just skip 700
    Might as well hand me the staff rn
  • I have eagerly awaited these fabled games. Looks like fun!
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    2nd December is also my birthday, By 2300h I will be either dead, face down in a pool of my own vomit, or sitting in a corner crying about how I've wasted my life. Looking forward to the info on the xp event

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    2nd December is also my birthday, By 2300h I will be either dead, face down in a pool of my own vomit, or sitting in a corner crying about how I've wasted my life. Looking forward to the info on the xp event
    must be a big milestone?

I went to a school playground and sat on the swings at 25. That one bothered me.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Aesi said:
    Klendathu said:
    must be a big milestone?

I went to a school playground and sat on the swings at 25. That one bothered me.
    it bothered the school administrators more. "Why did that guy just axk susie off the swing set???"
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Aodfionn said:
    Aesi said:
    Klendathu said:
    must be a big milestone?

it bothered the school administrators more. "Why did that guy just axk susie off the swing set???"
    She was hogging them. #thuglyfe
  • Kind of disappointed that there's a tumble race again, because there are people that just do auto-walker tumbling. should make it a maze! That'd be more fun.. and cruel
  • Aesi said:
    Klendathu said:
    must be a big milestone?

Better than my 25th. I had to work 12 hours. ..and my 24th..and my 23rd...and my 22nd...and my 21st...20th I got hit by a car (#alcoholSavedMyLife), 19th I forget,  18th I went to jail.  ..my last solid birthday was when I turned six.  BIG box of legos. Mmmm
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Aegoth said:
    Kind of disappointed that there's a tumble race again, because there are people that just do auto-walker tumbling. should make it a maze! That'd be more fun.. and cruel
    It says they'll be "all-new." I've won Tumble Races "With a Twist" with no auto-walker.

So betting the Y700 Tumble Races will introduce something crazier than ever.
  • @Tecton: Are the events tagged "Championship" the only ones that give points for the Staff of Nicator?
  • @Aegoth Yes, events tagged "Championship" are the only events that award Championship points, necessary for winning the Staff of Nicator.
  • Interesting that Foozle is replacing the Bandersnatch. Bandersnatch has so many issues: wiping out on random indoor rooms, allies pooling tumtums to give to their chosen candidate, etc. But the problems had existed for so long that everyone was familiar with them, so it was kind of a 'fair unfairness', where playing around the jagged edges and gaming the system optimally was part of the competition. Foozle fits a similar niche as an exploration-based world game, and there remains some potential for allies to help contestants out or gamble on attempts to tactically hinder enemies, so it seems like a good replacement.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    This is partially to offer it for someone else who might find it useful, and partially to see if I actually managed this correctly, because I have been known to horribly botch these before - a conversion of the GMT schedule to a PST schedule:

December 2:

~2300 GMT - Year 700 begins with a Treasure Hunt (HELP TREASUREHUNT)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 3:00:00 PM
    -
    December 5:

0300 GMT - Drinking Contest
    Friday, December 4, 2015 at 7:00:00 PM

1700 GMT - Twins Combat Tourney (** Championship Event **)
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 9:00:00 AM
    -
    December 6:

1800 GMT - Foozle (** Championship Event **)
    Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 10:00:00 AM
    -
    December 8:

0200 GMT - Arena Jousting Contest
    Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:00:00 PM
    -
    December 9:

2200 GMT - Ship arena battle royale
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 2:00:00 PM
    -
    December 10:

1700 GMT - Master Riddle
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:00:00 AM   
    -
    December 11:

0000 GMT - XP Event starts (** Championship Event **)
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 4:00:00 PM
    -
    December 12:

2359 GMT - XP Event ends (** Championship Event **)
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 3:59:00 PM
    -
    December 13:

1700 GMT - Tumbleraces (** Championship Event **)
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 9:00:00 AM

2200 GMT - Quiz (** Championship Event **)
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 2:00:00 PM
    -
    December 14:

2300 GMT - Ship race
    Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:00:00 PM
    -
    December 15:

~1000 GMT - Year 700 ends
    Monday, December 14, 2015 at 5:00:00 PM

TBD - Awards Ceremony
    -
    December 19:

2300 GMT - Capture the Flag
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 3:00:00 PM

• Dang, I'll be in San Francisco for a wearables tech event during the Treasure Hunt.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Aegoth said:
    Kind of disappointed that there's a tumble race again, because there are people that just do auto-walker tumbling. should make it a maze! That'd be more fun.. and cruel
    I think a maze would be awesome, honestly. I mean, with @Lorielan being back and all...perfect chance to unveil a new one!

• edited November 2015
    Gah, Foozle is hands down my favorite game-- I'm jealous you all get to compete at it! Everything about Foozling is a test of individual skill which, for me, would be a welcome change to what I have seen the Games become.

One question though, Tecton: what's going to stop someone from murdering all of the Foozable items? Or if they're protected does that take away one element of the game (the possibility of finding something missing)?  You're probably going to address those things in a later post.
  • Jaizsur said:
    Gah, Foozle is hands down my favorite game-- I'm jealous you all get to compete at it! Everything about Foozling is a test of individual skill which, for me, would be a welcome change to what I have seen the Games become.
    With the addition of pretty much everything on the Wiki and auto walkers, it's not nearly as much about skill/knowledge as it used to be.

• edited November 2015
    Cooper said:
    Jaizsur said:
    With the addition of pretty much everything on the Wiki and auto walkers, it's not nearly as much about skill/knowledge as it used to be.
    The wiki has a list of Foozable items? Regardless though, there's still a fair bit of strategy involving when to submit a card and when not to and compounded by the likelihood that an object is going to be dead already (not sure how they're going to implement that complexity but I have some ideas). Also, determining the optimal route for reaching all 5 items is pretty hard, even for a computer!

Edit: Anyway, in this day and age I think we have to accept that everyone will have autowalkers but in events like Foozle those who are even slightly more clever will have an advantage.
  • Go away Nonny.
  • Make sure to turn off people being able to foozle their own menagerie of pets, too. There are probably people who could put in a decent showing without ever leaving a single room that way.
  • You can Gare out of Isaia, can't you? I remember Garing out of the tundra once when I got stuck there during a Foozle. I wasn't even competing, either. Wouldn't be much use if you had to get there, but getting back might be do-able.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Skye said:
    While on a practice foozle run, this happened:

You say with a muddled Thalassian accent, "I wish."
    Sudden silence is all that is left in the echo of your words. An onslaught of voices peal like bells to your ears in response to your "wish", the cacophony of noise coming from a congregation of wisps which materialise from every nook and cranny of the island. "No wishes, we will not grant them Skye!" the voices chime to you. Finding yourself suddenly weightless, the world around you blurs as motes of magic dance like shooting stars around and behind you. As the landmass of Sapience unfolds before you, you find yourself standing amid the familiar sights of the mortal realm.
    Entrance to Upper Isaia (indoors).
    You see exits leading southeast, southwest, northwest, and up.
    (ex) {7700hp|7040mp|33886e|30888wp}{cdbk|} |Crab ()| 34.9%XP (10:13:15.345) no line 
    outfoozle
    Your foozlebox reports the following:
       Items to find         Point Value      Found?
        1. "boalisk"               8           No
        2. "stirge"                4           No
        3. "amphisbaena"           8           No
        4. "owl"                   6           No
        5. "elk"                   4           No
       Total points found: 0
       Total points on card: 30 (if complete: 60)
       Minutes left before you can pass: 5
       Your current Foozle Score: 110
       You must find at least one item to submit this card.
    (ex) {7700hp|7040mp|33886e|30900wp}{cdbk|} |Crab ()| 34.9%XP (10:13:16.893) no line 
    outup
    Beneath the entrance arch (indoors).
    You see exits leading up and down.
    (ex) {7700hp|7040mp|33898e|30900wp}{cdbk|} |Crab ()| 34.9%XP (10:13:20.393) no line 
    outup
    Upon a narrow stair (indoors).
    Huge wings folded at its sides, a giant zelahia stands here.
    You see exits leading up and down.
    (ex) {7700hp|7040mp|33896e|30900wp}{cdbk|} |Crab ()| 34.9%XP (10:13:20.847) no line 

===========WELCOME TO ISAIAH=============
    =====HOME OF KISS THAT FOOZLE GAME GOODBYE====

Upon the ice.
    The sky darkens with the onset of night. An amorak growls gutturally here, flashing 
    his teeth. You may ENTER the WILDERNESS map from here.
    You see exits leading southwest and up.
    enter wilderness
    You may not enter the wilderness during this event.

FML

This is clearly an oversight. I get that for other worldgames like egghunts and bandersnatches, you're barred from entering the wilderness because people used to stash their points there. But Honest To God, not only do you occasionally receive denizens on your foozle list that you are unable to reach except by wilderness, but the chance of getting completely shut out of the game like this leaves a really bad taste. Hope you guys fix it before the event or it's seriously gonna suck.

Going to Annwyn has been a risk in foozle since the creation of the game. If you don't want to be whisked somewhere shitty like that, don't go to Annwyn during a foozle.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Actually, the problem is that during most foozles (I can remember one where it was allowed), you cannot use quick-travel methods (this includes gare), and in more recent years (the last two or three?), you are no longer able to enter the wilderness, whereas you could before.

It is not the old risk of just having a long walk back, it is the new risk that you get stuck in a village where you can only get out via the (now locked) wilderness. Thus it is most definitely an oversight. Hopefully one they'll be looking into (or perhaps already have!).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited November 2015
    Sarathai said:
    You can Gare out of Isaia, can't you? I remember Garing out of the tundra once when I got stuck there during a Foozle. I wasn't even competing, either. Wouldn't be much use if you had to get there, but getting back might be do-able.
    I dunno, I didn't try. You shouldn't be able to gare when it's a no portal foozle. If you can then that's broken. 

@Cooper this is actually a.. I wouldn't say recent thing, but it's certainly not been a risk from the creation of Foozle. You used to be able to traverse wilderness during world games. The time spent walking through the wilderness is not an issue, the fact that you're now completely trapped in the area with no way to leave is. You're literally blocked out of the game entirely for it. 

What happened was that they implemented a blanket fix on world games at some point due to people abusing wilderness to hide eggs/fruits/bandersnatch thingies. That blanket fix broke foozles, not only due to this but also because when they applied this fix, they failed to update the foozle databases as well so that you're still getting things that you otherwise can't reach like Boalisks and Llamas which require you to enter wilderness to reach.

• Call off the hyperbole, send home the llamas, Christmas isn't lost yet!

(It'll be fixed in time for Y700)
  • I tried to tell it to go home, send help! D:

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."